New to site! hoping to find some help!

More
07 Feb 2010 20:44 #347174 by ntandro
Hey everybody. Im having some problems on a 1978 kz 1000. The starter is grinding when the motor warms up and is giving me a very hard time tuning. Ive researched and i hear alot about a starter clutch. Im assuming thats thre one way gear inside the left crank case. That seems to be ok. What ive noticed was where the starter meets the middle gear (in between crank and starter) looks as if it was worn out. My idea was the pin that holds that gear in place to align it with the starter has too much play in it. The casing dows not seem to hold that gear back so it jumpes off the starter. any ideas? Also there is a bit of oil inside that casing? new crank seal? Any help would be very appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2010 20:53 #347175 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New to site! hoping to find some help!
Will this help?

Over Running Starter Clutch Repair On the Older, Bigger 4’S

1. When preparing to repair the starter over running clutch have a few items on hand:

A. New alternator cover gasket.
B. New springs (3).
C. New spring caps (3).
D. New rollers (3).

2. If possible, put the motorcycle on the center stand and tilt to the right to reduce the oil volume in the alternator cover.

3. Place an oil catch pan under the left side of the engine to collect what small amount of oil that will escape when the alternator cover is removed.

4. Remove the foot shifter lever, left foot peg assembly and the sprocket cover.

5. Some Kawasaki’s have socket head cap screws(Allen type) and others may have fasteners with a Phillips type. If the latter is there, a # 3 bit seems to work the best for removal.

6. Remove the alternator cover and take care with the three wires coming from the alternator stator. These are the voltage supply wires for the motorcycle. Rest the cover on some newspaper or rags to prevent damage.

7. The magnetic Rotor or flywheel will probably require a removal bolt or puller. NOTE, SOME ENGINES HAVE LEFT HAND THREADS ON THE ROTOR!!

8. The over running clutch is bolted to the back of the rotor with three Allen head fasteners.

9. Separate the rotor from the over running clutch and inspect for damage in the springs, rollers, and spring caps. Replace any worn parts.

10. Re-assemble in reverse order taking care when re-installing the Alternator cover not to pinch any wires. If the cover will not re-install without force, check before any damage occurs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Feb 2010 20:59 #347176 by ntandro
Replied by ntandro on topic New to site! hoping to find some help!
i did all of the above. It seems to be the gear slipping off the starter. Not sure what the fix is.

More
07 Feb 2010 21:21 #347178 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New to site! hoping to find some help!
Contact Jeff Saunders at www.z1enterprises.com he knows a lot about the older Kawasaki's.

Do you have a shop manual? it will help in finding out what part is worn.

Some engine builders websites:(they may have a repair for your engine problem)

www.aperaceparts.com
www.bore-tech.com
www.flowbenchtech.com
www.fastbygast.com
www.grccranks.com
www.schnitzracing.com
www.valleyspeed.ca/services.html
www.carolinacycle.net/index.php?option=c...ex&Itemid=3&catID=84

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Feb 2010 21:26 #347179 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic New to site! hoping to find some help!
if its cocking to 1 side that much it sounds like the holes for the drive gear shaft may be ovalled out .

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
08 Feb 2010 05:54 #347205 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic New to site! hoping to find some help!
ntandro wrote:

i did all of the above. It seems to be the gear slipping off the starter. Not sure what the fix is.

My rotor was loose one time and the starter gear would not mesh right. I pulled the cover numorous times until I got it figured out. This might not be your problem but it is worth a look

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL