Synthetic Oil or not?

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
24 Oct 2005 06:02 #3772 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
Thanks for the link. Great reading there and on other catagories along the left column. It's added to "My Favorites" now.

Anyone used this product? Used in dirtbikes and seen and felt temp changes.

Here's their website:
Two2Cool

Email them if you have any questions, but don't ask them what it's made of.

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2005/10/24 09:19

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2005 08:53 #3818 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
CoreyClough, don't know anything about TwoCool - can't see how the product can work though...:S Oil additives that affect internal engine friction don't always cause the clutch to slip, but it often happens.

My 900 runs on Mobil 1. It really does not have any appreciable leaks, so the gaskets have survived ok for the last couple of years and close to 20,000 miles.

More
24 Oct 2005 12:35 #3866 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I bought my 900 from the original owner. He had been using Amsoil synthentic since the bike was new. No leaks, no clutch slippage, no performance problems.
I switched over to Castrol M/C oil at the start of the season this year. It's hot where I ride, so I used 20W-50. I will switch to 10W-40 in about a month... I can ride year-round, but winter temps are in the 50's. I switch to dino oil because I like to change my oil often, and Amsoil is about $8.00 per quart. I believe that frequent, regular oil changes with dino oil is better for the bike than less-frequent changes with synthetic.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
24 Oct 2005 12:39 #3868 by CB/GS/XS
Replied by CB/GS/XS on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I've tried them both and used several different brands too and I don't synthetic is worth the bother or the money in these air-cooled motors. Change the conventional oil every 1500-2000 miles and your bike will run happily for a long, long time.

More
24 Oct 2005 19:01 #3964 by BeeGee
Replied by BeeGee on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
bemoore - Great article link there. Within your thread there's article links to a multitude of subjects including oils & filters - one of my favored subjects at the moment.

Since I posed this thread, I've been doing some oil info searching and have come up with a very interesting information source as well. From posing the link below, I'm not inferring that AMSOIL is the best oil. I'm simply saying that AMSOIL's internet site has information links within it that all of us may learn something from:
AMSOIL SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motorcycle Engine Oil link ...
www.performanceoiltechnology.com/mcf.htm

Due to the seepage issue, I've decided not to make the switch to synthetics on my bike. As many have suggested here, why screw with something that works ... just make frequent oil & filter changes.
My bike decisions:
Oil Filter = Purolator ML filter element
Oil - Petroleum based = Shell Rotella T 15W-40
Air filter element = Emgo @ Z1 (I've decided not to go with a K&N)

I have decided, however, to go synthetic at the 1rst oil change on an '06 GMC Sierra I just purchased.
My truck decisions:
Synthetic Oil = either Mobil-1 (or) AMSOIL
Oil Filter = Purolator Pure One
Air Filter = AC Delco

If anyone wishes to find fault with these choices - please jump in. I'm all ears. My decisions are not etched in stone.

More
24 Oct 2005 21:08 #3995 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
Back when I owned a Taurus SHO, I know that a lot of the guys that liked to mod them ran Amsoil with a very long drain interval (25k/1yr is what Amsoil recommends) and frequent filter changes. They would also send oil samples out for lab testing to look for trace metals that indicate wear. The idea was that by using the same oil for a long time, even the slowest accumulation of foreign material would eventually show up in the oil and be caught by the lab test, which would give advance warning of pending damage.

I'm not sure what the tests cost, since I stuck to dino juice and more regular changes, but anyone spending a good bit on an engine might at least look into whether it makes sense to have oil samples tested periodically.

I'm not saying that it makes sense to do (since I don't know), only that it might make sense to investigate.

More
24 Oct 2005 21:26 #4001 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
CoreyClough wrote:

Thanks for the link. Great reading there and on other catagories along the left column. It's added to "My Favorites" now.

Anyone used this product? Used in dirtbikes and seen and felt temp changes.

Here's their website:
Two2Cool

Email them if you have any questions, but don't ask them what it's made of.<br><br>Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2005/10/24 09:19

Yeah, I use that stuff in my dirtbikes and it does work. My wife's CR80 use to overheat in the desert, since using Two2Cool it no longer overheats. I've considered using it in my Kawi, but at $20 an 8oz. bottle it gets pricey.

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
24 Oct 2005 22:02 #4016 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I've been running AMS oil in all my bikes for 25 years. I've never had a clutch slip, all my bikes run smoother on synthetic. The only leak I have on any bike is on my 76 900 which leaks around the stator leads.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't almost all military and aircraft specs call for synthetic oils?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
24 Oct 2005 22:10 #4017 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
KZCSI wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't almost all military and aircraft specs call for synthetic oils?
KZCSI

Aircraft piston engines use mineral based oil and turbine/jet engines use synthetic oil. Some aircraft piston engine oil is semi-synthetic. The one that comes to mind is aeroshell 15w50. I used that in my 1980 kz550 for over 10 years and never had a problem.

More
25 Oct 2005 12:21 #4150 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
KZCSI:
Military and Commercial aircraft use synthetic oil in their gearboxes. But that's not an internal combustion engine, so they're not polluted with hydrocarbons. The gearboxes are driven by the turbine, and run the accessories on the airplane.
Don't know what they're using in their motor pool vehicles.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
26 Dec 2017 04:21 - 26 Dec 2017 04:21 #776621 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
If you look away for leaks, synthetics oil will be the best choice for a old Kawa engine?`

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine
Last edit: 26 Dec 2017 04:21 by gordone.

More
26 Dec 2017 14:55 #776632 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I use Amsoil in all my Bikes NO ISSUES.

1984 750 Turbo