Synthetic Oil or not?

More
22 Oct 2005 12:46 #3451 by BeeGee
Synthetic Oil or not? was created by BeeGee
I am the original owner of a 1979 KZ650-D2 motorcycle with 10,000 miles which remains in pristine condition. It has a 'mechanically sound engine'. I have been researching motor oil brands for the best to use in my bike. AMSOIL has my attention. I have always used Castrol GTX 20W-50 (non-synthetic detergent) with an API Service SE (presently SL). This is what the Kawi dealership recommended to me when I purchased the bike in 1979. In the past many of the forum members have recommended using Castrol oils. Many have recommended not switching to synthetics on an older bike since some have experienced oil seepage after switching and some have concerns about wet clutch slippage.

My questions are:
1 - What are your thoughts on switching from my ever-trusted Castrol non-synthetic to AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil full-synthetic?
2 - Is their any credence to the oil seepage issue?
3 - Is there any credence to the clutch slippage concern?
3 - What SAE should I be using (10W-40 or 20W-50)? I live in the Boston, Mass area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2005 12:57 #3452 by Bud1
Replied by Bud1 on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I don't know about the clutch slippage issue. I do know that in automotive engines, especially older engines with 70+ thousand miles on them, switching to synthetic oil has caused oil seepage from gaskets, seals, etc. Also when I purchased a remanufactured engine for my truck it came with synthetic oil already in it and the paperwork for the engine stated that if I at any time switched from synthetic to non-synthetic oil my warranty would be null and void.

I have several friends who have taken engines apart just to replace all the gaskets and seals so they could switch to synthetic oil. They didn't have any problems with seepage.

Don't know if any of this helps or is even applicable to motorcycle engines (altho I don't see why it wouldn't apply after all a gasket or seal is still a gasket or seal) but I hope it helps!:blink: :P

More
22 Oct 2005 13:20 #3453 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I made the mistake of switching to synthetic for my Jeep a few years ago at about 70,000km. There was some oil seepage after a while, then the rear main seal let go. Everybody blamed the synthetic (Mobil 1).
This summer I changed to Castrol 5w50 Syntec Synthetic for the bike. No oil leaks, (other than the persistent one that's been there since the engine went back together), and no clutch slippage. I did notice right away smoother shifting.

More
22 Oct 2005 13:31 #3455 by Bud1
Fossil was it the '83 GPz1100 Streetfighter you made the switch to synthetic in? And did you make the switch recently? The reason I'm asking is because I have a '83 KZ650 and now I'm wondering if it might be a good idea for me to switch to synthetic in it.

More
23 Oct 2005 08:13 #3589 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
Bud1, yes the synthetic is in the GPz1100. It was just this summer I switched over, previously it was running on semi-synthetic. With the weather getting colder the synthetic does not thicken the way mineral oil does making starting a little easier.

More
23 Oct 2005 09:18 #3601 by Bud1
Thanks. I think I'll try it.:P

More
23 Oct 2005 09:52 #3611 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I don't have the link to the specific article, but it recommended synthentic for air cooled engines, since they can run hotter then water cooled, especiallly in stop & go traffic. It also stated that synthetic is no "slipperier" than any other oil. The main benefits of synth is that all the molecueles are the same, and they are oil, as opposed to junk loft over from refining.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

More
23 Oct 2005 09:58 #3612 by zedheadmc
Replied by zedheadmc on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
Hey there BeeGee, I use Honda's GN4 20W50 when the weather is warn to hot, and GN4 10W40 when it is not so warm to down right cold. But I have friends that own and ride air cooled bikes that use Honda's synthetic (without moly) year round with no problem. My view is that it's the owners call. Get as much info as you can though. Why btw are you thinking about switching oil? If the brand you are using is working then why not stick to it.

Post edited by: zedheadmc, at: 2005/10/23 12:59

More
23 Oct 2005 13:25 #3647 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
zedheadmc wrote:

If the brand you are using is working then why not stick to it.<br><br>Post edited by: zedheadmc, at: 2005/10/23 12:59

I agree. Unlike the 1000+ kZ motors, the 650 has a plain bearing crankshaft. Why risk it. If you really want to go synthetic, you should seriously consider Red Line.

Jay

More
24 Oct 2005 02:21 #3755 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
Nice to have you aboard Jay :)

My opinion is if Kawasaki say to use mineral oil, use mineral oil. They haven't, to my knowledge, issued a tech bulletin saying it's ok to switch to synthetic.

My personal experience with synthetic in my 750 has not been good either.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
24 Oct 2005 05:39 #3764 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I have 42,000 miles reading on my ticker, and I am using synthetic oil. I don't know was in there, but I do see some seepage around the head and cylinders. I'll be doing a top-end soon, and looking to install the 615cc kit(will be sending the pistons and cylinders to APE for this one). I would use whats been in there until you have to do a full rebuild. Stick with the Motorcycle Specific Oils, as they are used for wet clutch systems. Thinner if you ride in the real cold, and thicker if it's real hot, but the 10/40's(30 wt.) and 20/50's(35 wt.) out there should be fine for all-weather riding. Just do 2 things. Let your bike warm up before taking off, and change the oil and filter at the same time, and often. It's cheap insurance. I am also looking into installing an oil temp gauge to my bike because "I gots ta know".

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2005/10/24 08:42

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
24 Oct 2005 05:40 #3765 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Synthetic Oil or not?
I found the article I referred to that recommended synthetic for air cooled engines. Here it is. I haven't switched yet, but I am seriously considering it.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1