removing piston circlips

More
21 Jan 2010 17:14 #343787 by kpier998
removing piston circlips was created by kpier998
How do you remove the piston circlips without damaging them? The engine is KZ1000. Is there a tool that I should get?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2010 17:22 #343788 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic removing piston circlips
They're a pain no matter what...
Hemostat and a sharp/bent point get's them out... Start on one end, rotate the clip so one end is in the opening, grab with the stats/needle nose pliers and work the clip out of the groove...

NOTE: Putting them sonsabitches back in sucks about the same... Cut the living hell out of my finger doing mine....:blush:

Are you planning on re-using them! :ohmy:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Jan 2010 17:25 #343790 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic removing piston circlips
i just use a straight pick.
the trick is to get your eyes real close without wearing safety glasses.
sometimes them little suckers come flying out.
try looking for one with your eyes watering, it's a hoot!
once was enough to make me switch to teflon bushings.

seriouslly, i use a pick and put my finger orer the wrist pin so i don't lose them. ( well now i do )

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
21 Jan 2010 17:29 #343792 by Old Man Rock
Listen to one eyed Steve... He's the man! :woohoo: :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No doubt, them clips are a bitch!
Nearly cut my finger off and took out one of your eyes...
Plummen was neutered... :blink:

Who else has horror stories of these demon clips from hell?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Jan 2010 17:50 #343802 by gane
Replied by gane on topic removing piston circlips
A couple tips. Many pistons have a groove in the pin land which allows easy access w/a scribe/pick. When removing pistons on an open motor, Always pack rags around case openings. and, (personal opinion) once removed, I NEVER re-use a conventional ( C type circlip ) On installation, listen for click as clip goes home, then rotate in groove, In high reving motors position opening either up or down in groove. Escaping circlips are rare, but expensive as they usually destroy cyl. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
21 Jan 2010 17:51 #343803 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic removing piston circlips
removal...dental pick helped me...2$ at ace...one end near the opening is the ticket and the factory shop manual shows some tricks too i think ...getting em back in is somthing i will do next time after some relaxation techniques in daylight setting and not while hurrying next time .......

do your self a favor and buy new clips.....i did...oh and buy an extra one.......oh and buy another extra one.....:(

by the time your done with the other little expenses of your deal....a used or kinked clip popping free at any r.p.m will not be a $savings......and the extra new clips are for the one or ones that will go zzzzzzzzzzzzinging acrooss the shop when you are learning your technique for getting those miserable little shits to fit in the hole for the first time........

i spent a lot on a benched engine i was trying to stick a good used 1045 block and pistons into this year for a back up motor .......and in the end....late on a sunday night..hurrying to get er done...i took a shortcut and used a old clip becuase i only ordered a full set (8)and one shot god knows where(found it 3 months later sweeping)....i have not ran that motor and it sits.....i will be tearing it apart in summer to re-do my shortcuts.....that clip being used was all i could think about as i was torqeing the thing back together.....i call it my practice build:huh:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
21 Jan 2010 17:59 #343805 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic removing piston circlips
gane wrote:

A couple tips. Many pistons have a groove in the pin land which allows easy access w/a scribe/pick. When removing pistons on an open motor, Always pack rags around case openings. and, (personal opinion) once removed, I NEVER re-use a conventional ( C type circlip ) On installation, listen for click as clip goes home, then rotate in groove, In high reving motors position opening either up or down in groove. Escaping circlips are rare, but expensive as they usually destroy cyl. luck G

removing them without damaging them is a moot point....get em out however way you can(as previously mentioned) and get new ones...never re-use a used circlip....i would second kawasakiman and go with teflon buttons....they dont have the 35k mile longevity of a circlip, but you dont have to worry about them installed wrong and trashing your fresh top end....and those babies do fly across the garage!!

More
21 Jan 2010 18:16 - 21 Jan 2010 18:19 #343808 by kpier998
Replied by kpier998 on topic removing piston circlips
Old Man Rock wrote:

They're a pain no matter what...
Hemostat and a sharp/bent point get's them out... Start on one end, rotate the clip so one end is in the opening, grab with the stats/needle nose pliers and work the clip out of the groove...

NOTE: Putting them sonsabitches back in sucks about the same... Cut the living hell out of my finger doing mine....:blush:

Are you planning on re-using them! :ohmy:

Yes, I was. :blush:
But now that I have read all the comments, I think I'll be purchasing new ones...
Last edit: 21 Jan 2010 18:19 by kpier998.

More
21 Jan 2010 18:27 #343813 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic removing piston circlips
Use one of these to cut the piston and wrist pin out of the way leaving behind the undamaged circlip. :woohoo:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2010 18:36 #343818 by Old Man Rock
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Jan 2010 18:37 #343819 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic removing piston circlips
Please, buy new ones, I think $.26 cents at Z1 so maybe buy two sets, and oh yea, one extra for each set due to that invisible Murphy guy!

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
21 Jan 2010 18:53 #343829 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic removing piston circlips
i bought some direct from wiesco ,i was all happy cause they looked thicker than my stock ones....oh...and they were thicker......i think my next set will just be some stock ones......heck mine on the 900 have stayed put for 33 yrs and they are the ones from 1976......the thick'ns were a bitch for me wanted to bend and not flex.......

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife