removing piston circlips

More
21 Jan 2010 19:54 #343842 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic removing piston circlips
dont forget to shove some rags in the holes in cases below pistons while removing or installing. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2010 19:57 #343843 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic removing piston circlips
650ed wrote:

Use one of these to cut the piston and wrist pin out of the way leaving behind the undamaged circlip. :woohoo:

then you can use one of these to clean up smallend of rods,always remember to first remove sawdust/woodchips from plumbing project before using on motor! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2010 20:21 #343849 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic removing piston circlips
Are the clips on bigger motors ( a 900 for example ) much more difficult than a 650? I removed the pistons/clips from a 77 kz650 with no problem. Use my scriber. No bends or kinks. The clips went back in ( on the bench ) no problem. I plan on rebuilding my 76 kz900 next winter. What can I expect?

Thanks,

Ross

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
21 Jan 2010 21:14 #343853 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic removing piston circlips
don't reuse the clips order new every time they come out as they will lose tension and distort not worth wrecking a motor over 1.50 worth of parts. the clips usally arent that bad to remove but make sure you stuff rags or paper towels down in the cases so they won't go flying into the bottomend.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
04 Aug 2010 12:34 #388151 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic removing piston circlips
I know this has been answered and this thread died 6 months ago, but I have an idea that might help. Curiously, I have a tool in my toolbox that looks like the pincher surgeons use to close off spraying blood vessels.

It has two tiny jaws and it locks in place when you close it down, so it's able to wedge under the circlip and then lock onto it, so it doesn't shoot out your eyeballs. Worked like a charm for me.

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2010 12:59 #388157 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic removing piston circlips
called a hemostat and yes they do work well for holding onto small things like circlips.bj

More
04 Aug 2010 13:51 #388168 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic removing piston circlips
I found the circlip! :huh: :laugh:

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
04 Aug 2010 16:52 #388210 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic removing piston circlips
Hemostat's come in several sizes and shapes. You can get them at most medical supply shops or bigger pharmacies. I use the ones with the curve in the tip. Usually the clip can be rotated in the piston with a small tool, so if you rotate it so the ends are at 9 or 3 o'clock, it's easier to get a grip on them. I never had a problem with it, although they are a tad harder to put in then get out. I did drop one in the case once, and it took some time with a magnetic rod to fish it out, so I highly agree with stuffing rags in the holes!

I've reused them after re-spreading them a tiny bit and never had a problem, but I agree that new is better.

More
04 Aug 2010 20:04 #388260 by XL777
Replied by XL777 on topic removing piston circlips
Id like to add my 2 cents since I spent a few hrs this summer with the SOB clips!! Yes the weisco clips are killer tough on the fingers!!

Getting them out is easy. Always used new ones! Here is a trick I used to put them back in!!!

Put one in on the bench ;) on the remaining one push the closed end of the clip into the hole in the piston. The clip will compress and continue into the hole. once it is stuck inside push one end in and then the other. Works like a charm takes a bout 1 min once you get the hang of it :woohoo:

2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Aug 2010 20:17 #388269 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic removing piston circlips
Now that everyone has this under control, who has been using Teflon buttons in place of the cir-clips?
Anybody??? Racers????
Or maybe use a different press fit assembly???

I always orientate the clip so that the open end is at the bottom. I read this many years ago in a Dirt Bike Rag, seems the clip takes some forces as piston & rod change direction. Some believe it could lessen the chance of it popping out if the opening is NOT 90 degrees to the rod.
You guy's remember some of the wire one's that had the bend on one end so you could grab it with a pair of pliers?? I wonder if those had to much inertia on the heavier end,I haven't seen any for quite a while.
What ever you do use NEW.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...