It does get worse than a broken exhaust stud......

More
08 Dec 2009 21:01 #338159 by zScot
I spent a lot of time paying great care and attention based on the advice found on this forum but it still went horribly wrong.

There was about 2cm of stud left sticking out the head so I welded on a nut and the stud snapped again this time about 2-3mm inside the head. I drilled it out starting at 0.5mm (carbide bits) and working up 0.5 at a time making sure the drill was kept in the correct alignment with the head.

I got to the stage where I thought about going all the way up and putting in a heli-coil but instead I decided I would have a gentle try with an Easy-out. I wound in the easy-out till it started to bite, turned it a quarter of a turn at which time I felt the snap of the stud threads letting go of the head, or so I thought......

Does anyone have any experience of using HTS-2000 for repairing this type of damage?

It is a GPZ750 head which is (was!!) in good condition so I would like to save it.

Thanks

Z650 C3 in restoration
in Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2009 21:09 - 08 Dec 2009 21:15 #338161 by Galactica
Try JB welding on a new stud. If that doesn't work, remove the head, take it to a shop to get the damaged area built up, drilled and tapped.

Good luck

I did the same thing on the intake side of the head. JB welded on a stud in place of the screw. Works fine, doesn't look the greatest, but at least it works.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900
Last edit: 08 Dec 2009 21:15 by Galactica.

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
08 Dec 2009 21:41 #338163 by kano
been there bro,
could be worse mine looked exactly like that,
i had to pull motor and a friend put it in his russian sidecar and he road off island on the ferry to a welder he knew,
he did a awesome job welding it up you cant even tell by the time he had cleaned up the welds cost me 200 bucks.

More
09 Dec 2009 04:41 #338176 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic It does get worse than a broken exhaust stud......
As posted in other situations as yours... Take it to a professional (machinist/welder)...

Yes, we all want to accomplish as much as possible our selves but there just are times when you have to throw in the towel and have it repaired professionally...

Do yourself the favor and spend the extra $$$... ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Dec 2009 05:34 - 09 Dec 2009 05:41 #338182 by PLUMMEN
take the broken piece with you,maybe it can be reattached B) take an exhuast stud and exhuast collar with you also to help with alignment

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2009 05:41 by PLUMMEN.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Dec 2009 07:00 #338206 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic It does get worse than a broken exhaust stud......
a welder can burn a new gobb right there and tap new threads and you will be back on the road...mine cost 100.00 and was fixed the next day...after i did the same as you and more ...wasted time and money...weld it up ....good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
15 Dec 2009 14:46 #339140 by zScot
Thank you all for the responses, welding is of course the obvious choice, the only reason I mention HTS-2000 is due to the fact I have access to some free rods from a buddy. I have no desire to make things worse based on some very nice YouTube renditions of what can be achieved with this product.

Its ironic since I work for an oilfield services company and within 100 metres of my desk there are a dozen welders and machinists who have access to all of the latest welding, machining and CNC technology but if I took my cylinder head through the front gates I would be clearing out my desk an hour later.....

In the city where I live, I am starting to find this sort of thing frustrating in general, no-one is interested in touching small stuff. Of the 6 companies I emailed to get my engine bead blasted the only response I got was from a guy working from his farm 100 miles away.

I am in no rush, so the search for a guy who knows a guy who has a brother who does this stuff in his shed continues..... I can of course choose to send the bits away at any time to other parts of the country but I still live in hope that I will acquire a local contact who still accepts payment in bottles of whisky and having me endure stories about the war and the youth of today.

Z650 C3 in restoration
in Aberdeen, Scotland, UK

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
19 Dec 2009 10:53 #339828 by 550A2
Man, i have the same exact problem right now.
In a hard to get at spot.
the engine would have to be pulled to be welded.(that would be the best thing to do.
ehh jb weld might do it, but like said, it looks jimmy rigged.

I was thinking of the HTS-2000 sticks as well, seems easy egnough to do at home with "Better then weld results"
acording to them.

Anyone ever use it?

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project