what PHONY 'HOTTER CAMS' look like!

More
23 Nov 2009 09:18 #335371 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic what PHONY 'HOTTER CAMS' look like!
I made my own shim removal tool. I found a picture of one online and used it as a template. It works so good I've never bothered to buy one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
23 Nov 2009 09:24 #335372 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic what PHONY 'HOTTER CAMS' look like!
I have used this one and it don't get no cheaper

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=21&id=320714

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
23 Nov 2009 17:25 - 23 Nov 2009 17:28 #335460 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic what PHONY 'HOTTER CAMS' look like!
newOld_kz1000 wrote:

...could then order the correct shims tomorrow at the same time I order the shim replacement tool.

Must know existing shim size to determine replacement size needed. Removal with the tool is the first step.

When adjusting the clearances, it's a good idea to record each valve's correct shim size, so next time the existing size will be already known without needing to remove the shim for inspection.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Nov 2009 17:28 by Patton.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
23 Nov 2009 19:31 #335511 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic what PHONY 'HOTTER CAMS' look like!
Patton wrote:

newOld_kz1000 wrote:

...could then order the correct shims tomorrow at the same time I order the shim replacement tool.

Must know existing shim size to determine replacement size needed. Removal with the tool is the first step.

When adjusting the clearances, it's a good idea to record each valve's correct shim size, so next time the existing size will be already known without needing to remove the shim for inspection.

Good Luck! :)

Yep, I realized that today. I have never done a valve adjustment before, so I just thought "Okay, Kawasaki put a standard shim, and the *same* shim, on each bucket when the bike shipped from the factory. I'll just look in the Factory Shop Manual to see what that is, then measure the gaps, then I'll know which shims to order."

NOPE. Didn't work out that way. There IS no 'standard size shim shipped in the bike from the factory' mentioned in the FSM.

I suspect that, due to manufacturing tolerances, the Kawasaki factory actually has to measure then ship new bikes with a shim that works for the given valve based on the clearance as the new engine is assembled, and that potentially each of the 8 valves could have a different shim from the factory.

Like my old saying goes, "Common sense is not commonplace." In this case it didn't sink in until I couldn't find a 'Default factory-supplied shim size' and I realized that yep, I will have to remove each shim before knowing which one to order. Or just order the next 2 smaller sizes for each valve, which I may do.

Thanks for pointing that out.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
23 Nov 2009 19:37 #335514 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic what PHONY 'HOTTER CAMS' look like!
remove the existing shim then add or subtract differance figure which shim you need.hang on to old shims,they can be handy bartering items! B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.