Better exhaust tone?

More
28 Oct 2009 18:34 #330204 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Better exhaust tone?
yes it is cool to go somewhere surrounded by late model hd's and a bunch of 50,000 dollar refugees from OCC and all most people see is my little scooter it makes me feel so important. i get nothing but compliments on how cool it is every body is amazed at it age.lots of pictures have been taken of that bike and no it doesn't sound like a harley it freakin screams.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
28 Oct 2009 18:36 #330205 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Better exhaust tone?
timebomb33 wrote:

yes it is cool to go somewhere surrounded by late model hd's and a bunch of 50,000 dollar refugees from OCC and all most people see is my little scooter it makes me feel so important. i get nothing but compliments on how cool it is every body is amazed at it age.lots of pictures have been taken of that bike and no it doesn't sound like a harley it freakin screams.

Cheers to that my friend!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
29 Oct 2009 17:56 - 29 Oct 2009 17:59 #330384 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic Better exhaust tone?
timebomb33 wrote:

I concur Dr. Its always nice to have people more interested in something you put plenty of busted knuckles, sweat, and of course plenty of 4 letter words (for the greasy fingerprints on the key board, and for the snapped bolts)

I am fairly satisfied with the sound of the mac 4>1 can exhaust with no baffles. You can always turn the idle way down, and keep it in gear with a foot on the brakes when at a red light, thats probably not recommended though, one good sneeze and the seat you were enjoying is replaced with asphalt. And yanking plugs gives the unpleasant smell of unburned gas and lots of funny popping in the motor.

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k
Last edit: 29 Oct 2009 17:59 by cricketfire46.

More
29 Oct 2009 17:59 #330387 by cricketfire46
Replied by cricketfire46 on topic Better exhaust tone?
timebomb33 wrote:

I concur Dr. Its always nice to have people more interested in something you put plenty of busted knuckles, sweat, and of course plenty of 4 letter words (for the greasy fingerprints on the key board, and for the snapped bolts)

I am fairly satisfied with the sound of the mac 4>1 can exhaust with no baffles. You can always turn the idle way down, and keep it in gear with a foot on the brakes when at a red light, thats probably not recommended though, one good sneeze and the seat you were enjoying is replaced with asphalt.

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
29 Oct 2009 18:33 #330393 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Better exhaust tone?
Trianglaguna is right. I have an older Kerker on my 83 KZ750 L3 and love the sound. It has a nice low grumble from 1000 to about 4000 r's that changes to a sinful wail as the R's go higher. The sound turns heads, and people come up to me at places like the gas station saying they heard my bike coming and knew what the bike was before I got there. There is something primal about the sound of an older Kawi with a pipe. People don't forget that sound once they have heard it.
My 750 is ugly as sin but it sounds so good that people still will stop and want to talk about the bike.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
29 Oct 2009 19:34 #330407 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Better exhaust tone?
I do in fact have that loping harley sound. My carburetors are a little clogged, so they are a little rough, but then I took my pipes off and took out the metal section pieces out of the muffler. Then open the end of it to the edge of the circle that forms the muffler. This will take a bit, and a blow torch helps. then what i did was get some light weight steel pipe that is smaller than ur pipes and form holes. On mine, i bent in one side of the hole to help direct sound. I then wrapped it in fiberglass packing and bent an end of the pipe down to form four tabs. These should just barely fit into your pipe. Then i drilled a hole into the pipe, just where the muffler connects and put a bolt through the other side that will go through the baffles and hold them. This gives me a deep muffled tone that sounds great.

1976 KZ750 hardtail