Why won't my bike start???

More
09 Oct 2009 19:09 #326471 by ckotul
Replied by ckotul on topic Why won't my bike start???
anarki650 wrote:

If it's only running with the choke on and you know that the valve clearances are correct, compression is good, and points and ignition are in tip top shape (and timed correctly) you've got to be looking at a lean condition. The "choke" is an enrichening circuit that throws more fuel into the mix, so if it won't run without the choke on something is making a lean condition for you. Are your pilot jets and passages all clean in the carbs? Have you jetted correctly for the pods? Do you have an air leak at the carb holders? Check those things and somewhere you'll find your problem. I'd spray the carb holders down with carb cleaner while she's running on choke and see if idle changes at all. If it does you've got a leaky holder (or more than one) and they need replaced. If that doesn't find your problem pull the carbs off and check the cleanliness inside there, while you have them open check your jet sizes and make sure they're right for the set up.

Thanks for the tips. The weird thing about all this is that the bike was running perfectly before I did the work I described earlier. I didn't think that changing the oil and cleaning the engine would cause this many problems... live and learn I guess.

1977 KZ650C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurGoVroom
  • User
  • I'd rather ride it than shine it
More
09 Oct 2009 19:17 #326476 by ArthurGoVroom
Replied by ArthurGoVroom on topic Why won't my bike start???
Might check and make sure all of your spark plug wire connections are clean and dry after your washdown. Water on the ignition system will make it want to die.

Other than that, maybe it's just bad luck and you got some crud/rust in the carbs and they plugged up the pilot circuit?

1976 KZ900A4, 4-1 header, rear lowering kit, grab bar removed, still shining and painting parts as time permits

More
12 Oct 2009 07:11 #327013 by ckotul
Well, I figured it out. The stator was not aligned and was causing the bike to die at idle due to friction. Luckily I didn't run it too much, otherwise I'd probably be buying a new one! I'm surprised that there are no alignment pins on the stator cover to keep this from happening. Now I know.

Thanks for all the info guys!

1977 KZ650C1

More
12 Oct 2009 07:14 - 12 Oct 2009 07:17 #327014 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Why won't my bike start???
Since a bolt head was sheared off, did you remove what was left of the old one & install a new bolt? And gasket?

I'd investigate the red dust.

4-5 minute warm up seems long to me.
2500-3500 seems high, too.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2009 07:17 by JMKZHI.

More
12 Oct 2009 07:20 #327016 by ckotul
JMKZHI wrote:

Since a bolt head was sheared off, did you remove what was left of the old one & install a new bolt? And gasket?

Yeah, luckily there was enough of the bolt left to grab onto with a pair of vice grips. I replaced the gasket too, it was about $6 from my local bike store. Not sure what it's for though, since there is no oil in there. Maybe to prevent grounding out?

1977 KZ650C1

More
12 Oct 2009 07:24 #327018 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Why won't my bike start???
Uh, to keep water out?

More
12 Oct 2009 07:32 #327019 by ckotul
JMKZHI wrote:

Uh, to keep water out?

duh... I guess that's why I'm not a mechanic.:blink:

1977 KZ650C1