Why won't my bike start???

More
09 Oct 2009 09:27 #326382 by ckotul
Why won't my bike start??? was created by ckotul
Ok, here's the rundown of events leading up to me not being able to start my bike. I'm hoping that someone here can help me out.

1. I noticed that one of the bolts on the stator cover was sheared off, so I decided to get a new one, and at the same time replace the stator cover gasket.

2. After removing the stator from the bike, I noticed that the stator was caked with red dust covering every inch of the stator and the inside of the cover. I ignored this and just replaced the gasket and put the stator back on the bike.

3. Decided to changed the oil and filter. I followed the manuals advice and went with 3.5 qts of Castrol GTX SAE 10w40.

4. Then I decided to give my engine a good cleaning. I used some Gunk brand engine cleaner, let soak for a while, and then hosed her down.

5. Went to start her up and she wouldn't fire. The bike turned over, but it wouldn't start. Then I started hearing a squeaking when I tried to start the bike. Tried the kicker, but the kicker was VERY stiff. Almost like it wasn't lubed. I decided to wait until the morning and try it again.

6. Got up this morning tried to start her up again. After a few tries I got it to fire up with a full choke, she ran rough for a little bit, smoked from leftover engine cleaner poured off the engine body. I went to adjust the choke a little, and she died. That's where I left it.

Sorry for the long post, but I just want to get all of the details out of the way so I can get a straight answer. Thanks guys!

1977 KZ650C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paulstanely45
  • User
  • 1977 KZ650-B
More
09 Oct 2009 09:41 #326384 by paulstanely45
Replied by paulstanely45 on topic Why won't my bike start???
What bike is it?

What condition are the points in? Is the battery charged? Are your spark plug wires in decent shape? How are they spark plugs themselves?

1977 KZ650-B

More
09 Oct 2009 09:43 #326385 by ckotul
Replied by ckotul on topic Why won't my bike start???
Plugs are good, wires are good, points are good. Battery has a fresh charge. The bike started and ran fine prior to the work I described.

1977 KZ650C1

More
09 Oct 2009 09:44 #326386 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic Why won't my bike start???
I would throw some new spark plugs in there for good measure and try it again. Maybe let the choke stay on for a little longer before trying to close it?

Other than that I am lost for suggestions.

I cant imagine that the gunk would cause a catastrophie.

How well did the gunk clean the engine?

GOOD LUCK.

More
09 Oct 2009 09:45 #326387 by Johnj
Replied by Johnj on topic Why won't my bike start???
1) Cover bolts don't just "shear off".

2) Why did you remove the stator?

3) OK good

4) Not the way I would do it but OK. Did you make sure to only spray GUNK on the engine?

5) At this point I'd remove the stator cover to find the problem in there.

6) After you fix the stator problem try starting the bike with the kick starter. Did it free up and act normal?

Veho vivo - Ago ut veho

More
09 Oct 2009 10:01 - 09 Oct 2009 10:02 #326388 by ckotul
Johnj wrote:

1) Cover bolts don't just "shear off".

2) Why did you remove the stator?

3) OK good

4) Not the way I would do it but OK. Did you make sure to only spray GUNK on the engine?

5) At this point I'd remove the stator cover to find the problem in there.

6) After you fix the stator problem try starting the bike with the kick starter. Did it free up and act normal?

Thanks for the advice!

1) Shear was a bad choice of words... I noticed that the head of the bolt holding the stator cover was snapped off. The bike is relatively new to me, so it may be that I just didn't notice it before.

2) I removed the stator cover, in which was the half(?) of the stator? Forgive me, I'm not that familiar with these things.

4) I sprayed the engine cleaner only on the lower engine, and I covered the pods with a plastic bag just incase.

1977 KZ650C1
Last edit: 09 Oct 2009 10:02 by ckotul.

More
09 Oct 2009 10:51 #326396 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Why won't my bike start???
I'd pull the pods off and try the engine. You may have soaked the pods. Did you use a high pressure hose? Other than that I guess the stator has to come off again and see if that frees up the kick.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
09 Oct 2009 10:53 #326398 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Why won't my bike start???
take the stator back off and see if it is easier to kick over.
it is very easy to miss align the stator if the dowels are missing or damaged.
the flywheel can contact the stator and make it real hard to turn over.

now ask me how i know this. :blush:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
09 Oct 2009 10:56 #326400 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Why won't my bike start???
Locozuna wrote:

I'd pull the pods off and try the engine. You may have soaked the pods. Did you use a high pressure hose? Other than that I guess the stator has to come off again and see if that frees up the kick.

Yep, especially if it ran "fine" before.

It just needs the air, the fuel, the spark. In proper ratios of course :laugh:

Good luck, cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
09 Oct 2009 15:20 #326451 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Why won't my bike start???
I would of course blame the pods, but in this case I'd be suspicious about the stator issue. You said the kicker is VERY hard to crank. Can you hear any noise, like rubbing, coming from the stator area when you crank with the kicker? I would be tempted to remove the spark plugs (just to eliminate compression resistance) and turn the engine over using the 17mm nut on the crankshaft under the points cover. With sparkplugs out, the engine should turn smoothly by hand with very little resistance. If it feels like something is hanging up or rubbing I would remove the stator cover and see if the rubbing goes away when you trun the engine by hand. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Oct 2009 18:47 #326464 by ckotul
Took the stator cover off, repositioned it and made sure that the kick start worked smoothly, and got her to start up. Problem with the stator solved?? Maybe. I think you guys were right, and it was getting hung up.

Now however, I can't get the bike to run without the choke at least half closed. I get it nice and warmed up by running it at about 2500-3500 rpm for about 4-5 minutes, unchoke it, and it dies.

All this for a cleaner engine and a busted screw... ugh.

1977 KZ650C1

More
09 Oct 2009 18:59 #326468 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Why won't my bike start???
If it's only running with the choke on and you know that the valve clearances are correct, compression is good, and points and ignition are in tip top shape (and timed correctly) you've got to be looking at a lean condition. The "choke" is an enrichening circuit that throws more fuel into the mix, so if it won't run without the choke on something is making a lean condition for you. Are your pilot jets and passages all clean in the carbs? Have you jetted correctly for the pods? Do you have an air leak at the carb holders? Check those things and somewhere you'll find your problem. I'd spray the carb holders down with carb cleaner while she's running on choke and see if idle changes at all. If it does you've got a leaky holder (or more than one) and they need replaced. If that doesn't find your problem pull the carbs off and check the cleanliness inside there, while you have them open check your jet sizes and make sure they're right for the set up.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE