Valve removal help, please!

More
09 Oct 2009 12:17 #326432 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Valve removal help, please!
IowaKZ wrote:

I did this for the first time this summer and it is difficult. I have a big c clamp and a small pipe nipple that I notched out. my pipe is almost too small because I can barely get the keepers out past the pipe.
Anyway, I had to have my wife help me hold/turn/grab/etc. She helped me to remove and reinstall the keepers.
Sometimes another set of hands helps.

However a c clamp breaking is not good. Also, I don't think PVC is strong enough for this job, so be careful or get some pipe.

use an old deep socket with windows cut into it instead of pvc pipe B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2009 22:04 #326533 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Valve removal help, please!
Why are you taking it apart? Are you going to rebuild the head? If so you need to be able to machine the valve seats and grind the valves. If so, why not just let the shop that will be doing that part, take it apart and reassemble it with the proper equipment.

More
10 Oct 2009 01:43 - 10 Oct 2009 01:56 #326543 by PLUMMEN
thats half the fun,learning to take things apart ! :laugh: best way i ever found how to learn about something was to tear it apart and spend a lot of time cleaning stuff up,not to mention it saves the guy on the other end time cleaning up parts and money on my end. B)anytime ive got a customer willing to tear up a concrete floor or dig a hole for a pipe to make my life easier,im more than happy to drop the price substantially!

Last edit: 10 Oct 2009 01:56 by PLUMMEN.

More
10 Oct 2009 10:26 #326622 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Valve removal help, please!
True, but as a shop that does the machining, I can't tell you how many times we have received heads that customers took apart and when we went to reassemble it, we didn't have all the parts. Missing some spring bases, keepers, etc.

Jay

More
10 Oct 2009 21:37 #326732 by PLUMMEN
sell em some stainless and titanium stuff! :woohoo:

More
11 Oct 2009 07:01 #326772 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Valve removal help, please!
As much as I want to accomplish myself (99%).... cylinder boring & Head work... Naw, don't go there too many variables to end up FUBAR...

Leave that to the experts for as already mentioned, expensive in OH SHIT factor and for a strong running motor with ideal, desired operations in power and intake air flows....

Naw, leave that one alone, worth every penny! ;)

Just my 2 worthless cents....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
11 Oct 2009 14:06 #326833 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Valve removal help, please!
You got to use the right tools.
Your fingers are priceless.
This is my collection of used shims, the shim tool, the pry bar and I use the hemostats for plucking out the shim.
All this stuff is over 30 years old.
We used to pass this stuff around the neighborhood.
After a missed shift, Friday night showing off.
I use laquer thinner and marvels mystery oil mixed for a cleaner and to see if there is any leakage through the valve seat afterwords, or to see if you have a bent valve with the head upside down on the bench.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
11 Oct 2009 16:24 - 11 Oct 2009 16:27 #326843 by PLUMMEN
at some point we all had to learn to do stuff we didnt know ,the secret is to know youre limitations. B)disassembly and cleaning up parts is not rocket science,and yes at some point all tools were invented or improved upon by somebody to suit their needs B)

Last edit: 11 Oct 2009 16:27 by PLUMMEN.

More
12 Oct 2009 02:27 #326987 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Valve removal help, please!
I use a spark plug socket with a hole cut in it and one of those clamps that you tighten by squeezing it with your hand. A little awkward at first but you get the hang of it after a couple valves.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
13 Oct 2009 11:26 #327323 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Valve removal help, please!
I picked up a new, heavier-duty C-clamp, some 3/4" black pipe, notched it out and managed to get the valves out with no problems at all. Turns out I did compress the springs at least twice as far as I needed to the first time around. The biggest PITA was getting the keepers back in after reassembly.

I ended up not grinding the valves, but just cleaning them up a bunch. A little trick I figured out — only after hand scrubbing 7 out of the 8 - was to put the valves in my drill and turn them at a high speed while holding a scotch brite pad against them. It got off a lot, lot more gunk than just hand scrubbing, plus it took about 1/10 as long.

More
13 Oct 2009 11:37 #327333 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Valve removal help, please!
use a wire wheel on a bench grinder that works the best for mealso when your putting the keepers try using the same assembly lube that hopefully you used when you installed the valvesit will hold them in place in the grooves while you monkeying around with the second one.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
13 Oct 2009 13:32 #327353 by wes_scooter
Replied by wes_scooter on topic Valve removal help, please!
also you might want to put liquid in the combustion chamber to make sure the valves seal. if you havent put it back on yet.

i laped mine in for a very tight seal when mine was apart. held liquid for 15 minutes with springs off...

76' kz900
70' yamaha R5
2006 wr450f