Valve removal help, please!

More
08 Oct 2009 07:37 #326147 by chrispysaki
Valve removal help, please! was created by chrispysaki
So I tried the C-clamp and notched pvc tubing approach last night and managed to drill a 1/4-inch bit straight into my palm (don't ask, it wasn't pretty) and crack the c-clamp in half (the pressure from the valve spring).

The hole in my hand has convinced me to give up the homemade approach for this project, and I'm going to either rent or buy a traditional compressor. My question is, how do I know when the keepers are free and ready to be removed? I compressed the spring pretty far last night before the c-clamp snapped and sent the pvc flying like a bullet, so far that I couldn't twist the clamp by hand any more and got out a three foot pipe, but I didn't see the keepers fall loose or anything like that.

I have the manual, but predictably, it's missing the bottom inch of the page and that's exactly the spot that tells me what happens when I compress the springs. Could someone please explain how to know the keepers are free and what to do then?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2009 07:49 #326149 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Valve removal help, please!
when the retainers are compressed enough the keepers will be completely visable if you use the proper compresser the right compresser has a small adaptor on the end that sits on th retainer and is open on both sides so you can get a small retractable magnet in there or a good sized set of tweezers in and pull them out. you only have to compress the spring about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch most time to do this.if your in canada princess auto or in the states harbour freight has the right style of valve spring compresser and the right adaptors or if your like me, that does a lot of cylinder heads i bought a factory tool from yamaha i have had it for 20 years and done 100's of heads with it and i've never regreted getting it it doesn't flex at all like some of the off shore branded stuff does the main thing to remember is use the right sized adaptor as you can damage the bucket bore other wise.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
08 Oct 2009 08:05 #326153 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Valve removal help, please!
Wow, I compressed it way further than 3/8-inch. Probably closer to 3/4-in. I looked in the notch and expected to see the keepers falling away from the valve stem, but it looked like they were still gripping it. I guess I'll have to look closer next time.

More
08 Oct 2009 08:15 #326157 by timebomb33
if you compress it to far you can damage the guide so be carefull. like i said try a small extenable magnet.or tweezers.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA

More
08 Oct 2009 08:48 #326160 by chrispysaki
Wow, I compressed it way further than 3/8-inch. Probably closer to 3/4-in. I looked in the notch and expected to see the keepers falling away from the valve stem, but it looked like they were still gripping it. I guess I'll have to look closer next time.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
08 Oct 2009 10:22 #326180 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Valve removal help, please!
You don't want the valve to be able to move down in the cylinder.

Some guys just use large c-clamps rigged with a small piece of wood. Wood cause it wont damage anything.

Place the wood against the valve to hold it in place. Then place the c-clamp over the wood and around the head with other end and adapter over the spring like normal.

Then it really should only take about 3/8th's inch to have the keepers free.

If they still are sticking in top, stop. Remove the c-clamp pressure, and give the valve top a rap with a wood/rubber mallet a few times, then try again.

Always use wood/rubber for whacking and compressing stuff, saves huge headaches! :P

Good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
08 Oct 2009 11:20 #326187 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Valve removal help, please!
you must have had on cheap c clamp, I do have a hand held valve spring compressor, but you can remove them with a socket and a hammer,, just make sure the head is off the bench and nothing is going to hit the valve causing it to bend,
But on the other hand you should have been able to remove it with a good c clamp and a small magnet to pull the keepers off the valve, the oil on them is what holds them on.
Also rather than PVC I would use a small section of pipe and cut a notch in it,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
08 Oct 2009 12:07 #326193 by chrispysaki
It was a cheap C-clamp - Tool Shop brand, if anyone's familiar with the Menard's hardware store chain. Luckily they have lifetime guarantees, which was all of two days!

It sounds like I had the springs compressed far enough, but that I just didn't put the magnet in there to get the keepers out. Maybe I'll get a new c-clamp and a section of pipe and give it another shot.

More
09 Oct 2009 06:50 #326363 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Valve removal help, please!
I did this for the first time this summer and it is difficult. I have a big c clamp and a small pipe nipple that I notched out. my pipe is almost too small because I can barely get the keepers out past the pipe.
Anyway, I had to have my wife help me hold/turn/grab/etc. She helped me to remove and reinstall the keepers.
Sometimes another set of hands helps.

However a c clamp breaking is not good. Also, I don't think PVC is strong enough for this job, so be careful or get some pipe.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
09 Oct 2009 07:35 #326367 by timebomb33
heads are expensive to buy or repair, princess auto in canada or harbour freight in the states has actual valve spring compressor's that are resonable quality and a fairly cheap price and they come with different ends that you can swicth between different types of engines they work way better than some thing that may or may not work properly. the bucket bores are pretty but you can still score them if the wrong tool or if the tool you are using slips. just my professional advice here guy's but anyjob you do on your own stuff is worth doing right is it not.you don't want to damage more stuff than your repairing do you.with the right tool it will take you no more than ten minuetes to disassemble or assemble the head properly. why fool around with trying to make or jury rig a tool when the right tool is readily available. just my opinion guy's.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Oct 2009 08:27 #326376 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Valve removal help, please!
not that I know anything...but I went to Princess Auto like TB mentioned 4 days ago looking for a C clamp and random stuff to make a DIY valve compressor. An 8 or 10 inch C clamp was like almost 20 bones, plus I would have had to find a pipe to weld on and spend time cutting and welding. Sure it could be made to work great, but I found several ready made DOCH valve removers ranging from 20 bucks up to 50 bucks...I got the 50 dollar one and I got the valves out no problem and in no time. I didn't have to weld or cut or mess around. Not to mention I don't have a hole in my hand! I would recommend getting one too, it was something I don't regret

More
09 Oct 2009 11:15 #326409 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Valve removal help, please!
a drill press is a lot easier than a c-clamp for compressing the springs.just prop up the head with something under the valve so its a straight shot when pulling handle down on drill press handle.OH YEAH DO NOT HAVE DRILL PRESS RUNNING WHILE REMOVING VALVES!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.