mac header with kerker muffler...

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
17 Sep 2009 17:08 - 17 Sep 2009 17:11 #322255 by 9am53
mac header with kerker muffler... was created by 9am53
I am getting this exhaust this weekend. It is a kerker muffler on a non-kerker header. If this is a mac header , which from what I have read sucks, will this exhaust sound and perform like a mac, or will it be not too bad. For the price I am not complaining, I am just curious.

i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/9am53/exhaust.jpg
Last edit: 17 Sep 2009 17:11 by 9am53.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2009 18:51 #322281 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic mac header with kerker muffler...
I doubt if it is a MAC. The Kerker i have has a bigger diameter pipe than my Mac.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
17 Sep 2009 19:11 - 17 Sep 2009 19:14 #322283 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic mac header with kerker muffler...
Looks like a Mac to me. The Mac I have looks like the one in the photo. You can tell by the steel mounting flanges at the head connection.

I have no problem with the Mac header. It's the Mac mufflers that are really cheap. They sound terrible and need a lot of jetting. The only issue to beware of is to make sure you use new crush gaskets at the head. Those steel flanges can bend and cause leaks (which leads to popping on deceleration). With new crush gaskets, it shouldn't be a problem.

I think a Kerker muffler on a Mac header would be good. In fact, that's exactly what I'm planning to do.

Oh, and I have Kerkers in several sizes. I plan on putting my Kerker K-series muffler on a Mac header. They are both 2.5".
Last edit: 17 Sep 2009 19:14 by loudhvx.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
18 Sep 2009 04:34 #322340 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic mac header with kerker muffler...
Good to hear. I am buying all sorts of this guys old stuff, he wants 160 canadian for the exhaust, 15 bucks for a straight handlebar WITH the M/C to replace my LTD bar, and some other stuff. I also have him on the lookout for me for some 83-84 GPz cams and some other stuff. Best of all, he lives down the road from my mom, so she will be all happy that I am coming around more often...haha

More
18 Sep 2009 10:29 #322387 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic mac header with kerker muffler...
160 Canadian seems a little high for that system in the photo, unless the Kerker is in mint condition. But there is a lot to be said for convenience. It sucks dealing with ebay on large items like that.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
20 Sep 2009 12:10 #322724 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic anybody have an extra kerker baffle?
Well I ended up getting it. He gave me the handlebar for free and the exhaust for 120, BUT there is no baffle. It has the kerker endcap with what looks likea 1.5" hole. The header looks like it is in good shape, a little sanding and some bbq paint and it will look like new. The muffler looks good too so I am happy. I have not been able to find a good used exhaust anywhere for anything like 120 bean including shipping so I am happy.

Does anybody want to sell me a kerker baffle??? are good sounding baffles hard to make?

More
21 Sep 2009 11:32 #323002 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic anybody have an extra kerker baffle?
9am53 wrote:

Does anybody want to sell me a kerker baffle??? are good sounding baffles hard to make?

Yes, you can get new baffles for a Kerker, but they are not cheap.
www.dynoman.net/exhaust/baffles.html

It's not hard to make one if have access to a welder. Or you could probably make the metal parts and have a muffler shop weld the pieces together. Fabbing the parts is what takes time.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=2&id=313649

Dennis Kirk sells pre-made, peforated tubes for making baffles. They have many many to choose from. Just search their site with "baffle".
Here's just one example:
www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...32&leafCatId=&mmyId=

More
21 Sep 2009 13:02 #323014 by gnfreak
Replied by gnfreak on topic anybody have an extra kerker baffle?
what i did for my kerker was to pull out the old baffle and insert a muffler i got from auto zone for about 30 bucks. it sat in the cone about 1/2 inch diffrent so i just drilled another hole in the megaphone to attatch the kerker end cap.

Normal, IL
1980 KZ1000-G1 Classic - Sold

More
21 Sep 2009 14:09 #323028 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic mac header with kerker muffler...
9am53 wrote:

I also have him on the lookout for me for some 83-84 GPz cams and some other stuff. /quote]

Not to jack your thread,just a quick note on the 83/84 GPZ cams. If you're putting them into a Z1/KZ style motor you'll need an electric tach.No tach drive gears on the GPZ cams.Ask me how I know this ....

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
21 Sep 2009 16:52 #323060 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic anybody have an extra kerker baffle?
gnfreak wrote:

what i did for my kerker was to pull out the old baffle and insert a muffler i got from auto zone for about 30 bucks. it sat in the cone about 1/2 inch diffrent so i just drilled another hole in the megaphone to attatch the kerker end cap.

How does it sound though? I like the look and SOUND of the kerker, so I dont want a kerker pipe that doesnt sound good. Does the baffle make a big difference on the sound?

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
21 Sep 2009 16:53 #323062 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic mac header with kerker muffler...
Jack wrote:

9am53 wrote:

I also have him on the lookout for me for some 83-84 GPz cams and some other stuff. /quote]

Not to jack your thread,just a quick note on the 83/84 GPZ cams. If you're putting them into a Z1/KZ style motor you'll need an electric tach.No tach drive gears on the GPZ cams.Ask me how I know this ....

hey jack. To be honest I think that the only J bike that has the tach gear on the cam is the CSR models, the LTD and J don't seem to have a gear. I should go take a look at my valve cover.

More
21 Sep 2009 19:24 #323104 by gnfreak
Replied by gnfreak on topic anybody have an extra kerker baffle?
sounds good to me. dont think it makes that big of deal. just a little quieter and if i get stopped i can point to the innerds and say..."why yes officer it does have a baffle in it."

Normal, IL
1980 KZ1000-G1 Classic - Sold