Valve cover leaks

More
09 Sep 2009 05:15 - 09 Sep 2009 05:17 #320102 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Valve cover leaks
I had similar issues at first, here's what I do and don;t have a single leak now... Maybe will work out for you...

Pop off the end caps, clean out the head wells and install the caps dry. While in place (dry) place a true straight edge (small torpedo level) over them insuring they are level with the head decking.

If uneven or are higher than the head decking SLOWLY a little at a time, checking in between regularly, file NOT DREMEL, until you have all the caps flush with the head....

One at a time, I put 3 Bond sealer under each cap, lightly snug fit into place and then placed a gasket & valve over and torqued down until the sealer has cured.... This will fit and seal the end caps at the tight heights to valve cover.... ;)

NOTE: While still wet, wipe away excess sealer from under end cams.

Once cured remove the valve cover & gasket, check again with your straight edge.... All should be good! ;)

Now for my gasket, I use Permatex Copper spray on both sides of the gasket, following the can directions.... This acts as a sealer for a paper product type gasket material. After a couple minutes of dry time, install on the head and toque down the cover....

For extra insurance cause it's such a pain in the ass removing the tank and such to get the cover off, Apply a small amount, NON BEAD, wipe with your finger a thin coat of the Permatex copper gasket maker over the end caps ~ 1" pass the end cap width for a really good seal...

Install & torque your valve cover, start the engine until warm, observe if you have any leaks... None good, take for a short run then back home... Any leaks, none good.... Go for a ride! :(

Again, worked for me, no problems....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Sep 2009 05:17 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2009 13:43 #320204 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve cover leaks
Wile wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Wile wrote:

Also put in a light coat of permatex on all surfaces.

I use the black ultra high temp gasket maker.

Maybe I'll try a diferent brand of sealer.

and torque the cover to about 60 - 70 inch pounds. It will seal it.

Pounds or ounces?

70 inch-pounds. You need a low range torque wrench, that's only about 5 -6 foot-pounds.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Wile
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki is Japanese for money pit
More
12 Sep 2009 09:23 #320960 by Wile
Replied by Wile on topic Valve cover leaks

Pounds or ounces?

70 inch-pounds. You need a low range torque wrench, that's only about 5 -6 foot-pounds.

Ok got ya 70/12=5.8

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.

“I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle”

"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window"

More
12 Sep 2009 09:30 #320961 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Valve cover leaks
Have you checked the Tach seal also?...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

• OldSchoolHr
  • User
  • Kawasaki z900a4 1976 Croatia, Europe
More
12 Sep 2009 10:51 - 12 Sep 2009 10:54 #320993 by OldSchoolHr
Replied by OldSchoolHr on topic Valve cover leaks
I also had valve cover leaking problem but I found the best way to fix it. I made my own gasket from rubberized cork, 3 mm thickness.
I put old gasket on cork sheet and spray it with some paint. Then I cut new gasket from cork sheet and coating it with a synthetic grease. I use threebond only on my aluminium cam end plugs and nowhere else. In that way I can use same valve cover gasket many times cos it cant stick to the valve cover or head.

[img
[img
[img
[img

[img
[img
Last edit: 12 Sep 2009 10:54 by OldSchoolHr.

More
12 Sep 2009 13:01 #321084 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve cover leaks
After a bunch of the new gaskets in my Athena rebuild kit failed immediately after fire up, I made some gaskets using the 1/32 vulcanized fiber (rubberized paper) material at auto zone. I think it has the part number N8904 or something like that on the back. I looked the material up on the net, it's very good stuff. I made a cylinder base gasket to replace the one that disintegrated and made several valve cover gaskets since I kept pulling the cover to check valves and do some things.. A year later, no leaks anywhere. Seems like very good stuff, a bit thinner than the stock valve cover gasket.

As for cork: I also tried that for valve cover, but it didn't hold up well for mine. maybe it wasn't good material.

1979 KZ-750 Twin