'81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble

More
02 Sep 2009 11:28 - 02 Sep 2009 11:30 #318598 by TriniTT
'81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble was created by TriniTT
Hey all, I'm new to the site. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and I picked up my '81 kz650 with a box of almost all the accessories on the side. After a few hours installing the wiring harness and all the related components, I'm having trouble starting the engine.

We opened up the carbs and cleaned them all out. They were recently done by the previous owner, but I wanted to be sure. When turning the motor over, the engine will fire out of the carb intakes (all of them, at various times), and occasionally it will backfire through the exhaust.

We thought it might be a timing issue, so we were looking at the timing advancer. My friend pulled out the little orb thing that controls the timing for the coils, and now I have no idea which way to put it back in. Any suggestions on how to determine the direction would be phenomenal.

Also, any recommendations on why it might be shooting out of the intake would also be helpful. We thought it might be either timing or a valve that needs adjusting, but your brains are far more intelligent than ours on this topic.

Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 02 Sep 2009 11:30 by TriniTT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2009 12:12 #318604 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic '81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble
welcome,, I think you might have to coils reversed, since you said you installed the wiring harness on the bike it could be very easy to cross the 2 leads going to the coils

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
02 Sep 2009 12:36 #318606 by TriniTT
Replied by TriniTT on topic '81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble
Well, switching the orb on the timing advencer would do the same thing, telling the ignitor where to send a signal. Before messing with the timing advancer, we switched the coil leads around and it didn't fire at all.

More
02 Sep 2009 21:29 #318780 by TriniTT
I'm researching and finding horror stories all over of engines that are torn apart. I'm wondering if I should pull the valve covers off and see if the cams look ok. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

More
03 Sep 2009 05:42 #318812 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic '81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble
there is nothing wrong with pulling the valve cover and checking the clearance, and make sure the top end is clean, also when you put it back together put some oil on everything before you put the valve cover back on

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
03 Sep 2009 06:29 - 03 Sep 2009 06:44 #318826 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic '81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble
Just in case...

The cylinders, spark plugs, etc are numbered 1-2-3-4 left-to-right as yer sitting on the bike. The firing order is 1-2-4-3.
The #1 & #4 spark plug wires should be connected to the right side coil which should have the black wire from the igniter.
The #2 & #3 spark plug wires should be connected to the left side coil which should have the green wire from the igniter.

There should be a notch in the advancer that fits a pin in the end of the crankshaft.

Be sure to have a good & properly charged battery.

Here's a link to an 81 KZ650-H1 CSR wiring diagram - reply #10.
I added info on the coils to make it easier to read.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2009 06:44 by JMKZHI.

More
03 Sep 2009 06:52 #318829 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble
TriniTT wrote:

...pulled out the little orb thing that controls the timing for the coils, and now I have no idea which way to put it back in. Any suggestions on how to determine the direction would be phenomenal....

Under the ignition cover ---

The timing rotor has one projection.

There are two pick-up coils, being one on the left-hand side (the "rear" or "aft" pick-up coil) and the other being on the right-hand side (the "front" or "forward" pick-up coil).

The advancer has 1/4 marks and 2/3 marks situated 180 degrees apart.

The projection on the timing rotor is supposed to point toward the left-hand pick-up coil when the 1/4 advancer marks are situated at the top.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Sep 2009 11:05 #318879 by TriniTT
Thanks guys, that's all been helpful but unfortunately that's how everything was set up already. We just ran a compression test, and we're getting no more than 10-15psi on any cylinder.

At this point, we're thinking the cams are out of sync. We're going to pull the valve covers and check it. Can anyone link me to a pic or page that would have the info about how to set the timing chain?

Thanks for all your help!

More
03 Sep 2009 11:38 #318886 by TriniTT
We have the valve cover off, and I'm searching everywhere for a diagram for how to set or check the timing chain. I'm reading that there are supposed to be arrows, but we see no such arrows. Help is desperately needed...

More
03 Sep 2009 12:01 #318892 by TriniTT
Sorry for the continual bumps, but we just checked the timing and it appears to be correct based upon the strokes. However, we counted the pins between the marks and there are actually 38 pins, whereas I read there should be 36. Which is correct? The bike is an '81 h1.

More
06 Sep 2009 14:32 #319536 by TriniTT
Nobody can tell me how many pins are supposed to be between the cam marks for this particular year engine?

More
06 Sep 2009 15:09 #319538 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic '81 KZ650 timing/starting trouble
36 is the correct number. not many on here today because of the holliday weekend. be patient

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts