Engine won't turn over.

More
31 Aug 2009 23:29 #318145 by JCFrancis
Engine won't turn over. was created by JCFrancis
I recently purchased a 1980 KZ750H/4 It was not running at the time. It had been sitting for about 4 years. I'm trying to get it to turn over but when I hit the start button it just sounds like it is trying to turn over but can't. I bridged the terminals on the solenoid and I get the same thing so I think I have ruled out a bad solenoid. I am wondering how I go about turning the engine over by hand to make sure it isn't seized? Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremiah

1980 KZ750H/4
Pocatello, ID

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kaw74z1
  • User
  • 0 to 60 in 15 minutes.
More
31 Aug 2009 23:46 #318147 by kaw74z1
Replied by kaw74z1 on topic Engine won't turn over.
Try putting the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and rock the bike back and forward and it should turn over...

1974 Z1 with a MKII And a 1105 big bore kit 10.5 to 1 comp. Andrews 2x cams ported head dyna s with green coils V&H sidewinder pipe airshifter 4in.over arm

More
01 Sep 2009 00:02 #318150 by JCFrancis
Replied by JCFrancis on topic Engine won't turn over.
Okay, I just tried to shift the bike into gear but it will only go into first and neutral. Any advice?

1980 KZ750H/4
Pocatello, ID

More
01 Sep 2009 01:06 #318152 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Engine won't turn over.
Bike has to be rolling when shifting to #2 and up. So roll it and try again.

Then you can start trying to release the stuck clutch plates.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
01 Sep 2009 01:29 #318155 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine won't turn over.
JCFrancis wrote:

I recently purchased a 1980 KZ750H/4 It was not running at the time. It had been sitting for about 4 years. I'm trying to get it to turn over but when I hit the start button it just sounds like it is trying to turn over but can't. I bridged the terminals on the solenoid and I get the same thing so I think I have ruled out a bad solenoid. I am wondering how I go about turning the engine over by hand to make sure it isn't seized? Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremiah

Hello, Jeremiah, and WELCOME to KZR! :)
We're glad you're here! :cheer:

Some thoughts ---

A low battery might be reason engine won't crank over.

If decide to jump from battery in another vehicle, be sure the engine in the other vehicle is NOT running and that the ignition switch in the other vehicle is turned OFF.

Easier to spin bike engine over with spark plugs removed.

If engine seems "frozen," can spray PBBlaster or Kroil into sparkplug holes, and allow to soak for a few days (replenishing the spray daily). Could use Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF instead, but imo the PBBlaster or Kroil is better for this purpose.

Never twist on the bolt-head from end of crankshaft to attempt rotating the crank, with or without sparkplugs in place.

The usual method for hand-rotating the crankshaft is by using a 17mm wrench on the "fake" nut supplied for such purpose during routine maintenance. But the 17mm nut is intended for rotating a functioning crankshaft, and not intended to break loose a frozen crankshaft.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Sep 2009 05:47 #318169 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Engine won't turn over.
A bike sitting 4 years.... hmmm, only one way I'd go about it....

Remove the timing chain adjuster....
Remove the head and all other components down to the cylinder... Poor some oil or as others recommended solutions if bone dry/crusted/rusted...

May just be your timing chain is bunched up at the crank gear... May be a shim has relocated under one of the cam lobes...

While in neutral, either use the 17mm nut under ignition cover (See kz900 image) or while pulling the timing chain taught against the crank gear, watch the pistons rise and fall.

NOTE: Don't force it! Rotate forward, not backwards. Take your time for your not in a race or a pit crew member where time is everything....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2009 15:54 #318301 by JCFrancis
Well I was using the 17mm nut to rotate the crankshaft, and it seemed to me rotating without a lot of effort however I snapped the nut off and broke the other bolt as well. So, now I have more of a problem than I had before. :laugh:

1980 KZ750H/4
Pocatello, ID

More
01 Sep 2009 16:26 #318305 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine won't turn over.
JCFrancis wrote:

Thanks,
Jeremiah

Pull the spark plugs and pump the kickstarter.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Sep 2009 16:28 #318306 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine won't turn over.
JCFrancis wrote:

Well I was using the 17mm nut to rotate the crankshaft, and it seemed to me rotating without a lot of effort however I snapped the nut off and broke the other bolt as well. So, now I have more of a problem than I had before. :laugh:

That's why I use the kickstarter....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Sep 2009 16:29 #318307 by JCFrancis
There is no kickstart...

1980 KZ750H/4
Pocatello, ID

More
01 Sep 2009 16:30 #318308 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Engine won't turn over.
JCFrancis wrote:

you broke the 17mm one?
how the hell did you do that?
were you standing on it?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
01 Sep 2009 16:32 #318311 by JCFrancis
Yes, I broke it. No, I wasn't standing on it lol. I was just using a normal ratchet... Not a breaker bar or anything.

1980 KZ750H/4
Pocatello, ID