I'm baffled, now

More
13 Aug 2009 10:09 #313668 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic I'm baffled, now
If it's a noise producer can you add fiberglass packing to lower the DB? My old Kerker system K looks a lot like the one you're making.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
13 Aug 2009 10:14 #313671 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic I'm baffled, now
Yeah the purpose, here is to make it quieter. The hollow canister was like a jet taking off.

I bought some Moose brand fiberglass packing.

Here's the baffle and canister. That's all I have for now. Hopefully, I'll get to finish it with packing in a day or two. I have two other Kerkers so I can do a comparison.
Attachments:

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
13 Aug 2009 11:47 #313697 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic I'm baffled, now
Good work Lou. You really need to get out of that basement before you wled the door shut, or build yourself out of space in there. :laugh:

Weld The Sits

Hey wasn't The Slits an all female punk band? :blink:

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
13 Aug 2009 11:49 #313698 by loudhvx
CoreyClough wrote:

Good work Lou. You really need to get out of that basement before you wled the door shut, or build yourself out of space in there. :laugh:

Weld The Sits

Hey wasn't The Slits an all female punk band? :blink:

Heh, yes they were. I'd weld them anytime! :laugh:

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
13 Aug 2009 12:26 - 21 Nov 2019 08:53 #313709 by loudhvx
Hey Corey, I found the photos you took of the Kerker baffle. Interesting.

The exit nozzle is about the same, but they use a cone tailpipe, while mine is straight. The end cap of the Kerkers defeat the purpose of the megaphone exit, so I don't see a point to it. In other words, the exit diameter of the end cap is smaller than the megaphone's exit diameter, so it is effectively blocked. I think the only purpose of it is to eliminate the support sleeve that I added.

When I get a chance, I will make up some drawings of the two for comparison.

Attachment KerkerBaffleCoreys.jpg not found

Attachment TopIsOutlet.jpg not found

Attachment CrackedSeam.jpg not found

Attachment KerkerKsystem.jpg not found

Attachment SmallEndOutlet.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2019 08:53 by loudhvx.

More
13 Aug 2009 18:39 #313772 by gane
Replied by gane on topic I'm baffled, now
Loud, I like your' approch, and would like to help you diffuse the cost of mesh if you'd like. I have no present need, but if you'd like to sell a patch of your' remainder, PM me what you'd like for a bit 7"x18". (I figure that to be more than needed to fab a 2" core for anything I'd attempt.)or Email me at garypeil@peoplepc.com.G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
13 Aug 2009 18:46 #313773 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic I'm baffled, now
When I re-pack my Kerker instead of using masking tape(like most do) I use three equally spaced double twists of .032 SS safety wire. This way nothing to burn off and smell funny.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Aug 2009 23:33 #313819 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic I'm baffled, now
I made my own baffle out of old oil filters and a piece of pipe. Once you cut an oil filter in half and take a hole saw to it, you can drive it into the pipe for a good seal. See my thread for some pics, because I'm sure it's hard to visualize with my description.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=2&id=282499#282639

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
14 Aug 2009 09:24 #313870 by loudhvx
gane wrote:

Loud, I like your' approch, and would like to help you diffuse the cost of mesh if you'd like. I have no present need, but if you'd like to sell a patch of your' remainder, PM me what you'd like for a bit 7"x18". (I figure that to be more than needed to fab a 2" core for anything I'd attempt.)or Email me at garypeil@peoplepc.com.G

The 24" by 24" sheet cost me $35. I'd sell a 7 x 18 for $5 plus shipping. I'll check the cost when I get a chance.

I was sure I could get it cheaper elsewhere, but had no luck finding it. The Menards stuff was almost perfect, though. It looks like the Kerker mesh and was really easy to weld and fab. When you wrap it around a pipe it matches the diameter very closely. It only springs back larger a tiny bit.

The pre-made baffles I've seen did not look anything like the Kerker one, so I haven't tried them. I had one that was only a 1 inch pipe, and it didn't look like it was up to the job.

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
14 Aug 2009 09:26 #313871 by loudhvx
MFolks wrote:

When I re-pack my Kerker instead of using masking tape(like most do) I use three equally spaced double twists of .032 SS safety wire. This way nothing to burn off and smell funny.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have some solid core wire laying around.

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
14 Aug 2009 09:31 #313873 by loudhvx
toadson wrote:

I made my own baffle out of old oil filters and a piece of pipe. Once you cut an oil filter in half and take a hole saw to it, you can drive it into the pipe for a good seal. See my thread for some pics, because I'm sure it's hard to visualize with my description.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=2&id=282499#282639

I saw that post and I really liked it. It was one of my inspirations to get off my ass and put one together.

I really like the low-budget projects like yours, especially when using throw-away items. I really thought I was going to get the screen I needed for like $10. I thought about drilling a pipe, but didn't have the right diameter around, and drilling a thousand holes didn't appeal to me.

I know what you are saying about the ear plugs. My ears were ringing even with a helemt on!

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
25 Feb 2014 09:47 #623294 by loudhvx
This came up in another topic, so I thought I'd add a few more details.

I abandoned the tube-within-a-tube design and just went with a straight tube with a ring, on a later baffle.

Here are some drawings showing:

Here is what the inside of a Super Trap looks like.
The end flange of the baffle had rusted off, so I repaired it using a bicycle sprocket.
I cut a hole in the aluminum end cap to run it like a Kerker. It's a little louder than a Kerker, but sounds similar, maybe slightly more low frequencies.