Will not restart when hot

More
03 Aug 2009 15:04 #311254 by EgoCrusher
Will not restart when hot was created by EgoCrusher
Ok I have a 83 KZ550M1 with 24xxx miles on it. When it is cold it starts right up and idles fine. I take it for a 10 min ride turn it off and try to restart it and nothing. The motor spins fine but will not kick over. If I let it sit for 10 mins it will start right up. Any help would be great.

Matt
Mantua, New Jersey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2009 15:36 - 03 Aug 2009 15:41 #311268 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Will not restart when hot
Before getting into possible theories of what may be the cause....

Once started and during a ride, are you noticing any difference in performance such as acceleration, back fire or exhaust popping during deceleration, lack of power, flat spot/lining on power, running sluggish etc....

Or coming to an intersection, pinging noises, have to keep on the throttle to keep it running, slow take off's from dead start or does it sluggish then all of a sudden run like a raped ape etc....

When you say hot, normal temps or are you noticing more than normal heat build ups?

On cold or hot start up, smoke out the exhaust?

Ignition timing good?

Valve clearances good?

Spark Plugs look good?

Battery voltage good?

Proper voltage @ coils?

etc....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 03 Aug 2009 15:41 by Old Man Rock.

More
03 Aug 2009 15:40 #311270 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Will not restart when hot
Several places to check:

1. Valve clearances,metal expands when hot,possibly a valve or two partially open letting compression out.

2. Sparkplug wires and caps age and loose conductivity.Replace and try again.

3. Ignition coil(s) fail when hot. Where the coils are mounted can heat stress them causing failures.

4. Check all heavy duty battery connections for tightness and traces of corrosion. All must be clean and tight.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Aug 2009 15:50 #311273 by EgoCrusher
Replied by EgoCrusher on topic Will not restart when hot
There is no difference in performance. The bike does back fire realy bad during deceleration. It is a little sluggish on take offs then it will just pull the wheel off the ground. It does it at norm temps of riding. I do not know how to ckeck the timing plus I need to get the specs on the valve clearances, and the plus are new and gapped right.

More
03 Aug 2009 15:54 #311274 by EgoCrusher
MFolks wrote:

Several places to check:

1. Valve clearances,metal expands when hot,possibly a valve or two partially open letting compression out.

2. Sparkplug wires and caps age and loose conductivity.Replace and try again.

3. Ignition coil(s) fail when hot. Where the coils are mounted can heat stress them causing failures.

4. Check all heavy duty battery connections for tightness and traces of corrosion. All must be clean and tight.

All wire and plugs checked and ground wire replaced.

More
03 Aug 2009 15:59 #311276 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Will not restart when hot
"The bike does back fire really bad during deceleration. It is a little sluggish on take offs then it will just pull the wheel off the ground."...

Assuming all other mentioned items are within specification (please insure you measure/adjust to specifications) before going after your carbs... Best guess at this time is carburetor issues...

Most likely running lean thus over heating engine...
Either main/needle jets not the right size or gunked up etc...

I don't know your carbs (someone here should) so if the needle jets are the clip version, you need to richen it up by changing the clip position. If all is working, you should hear a difference in the exhaust popping...

Again, assuming they're the correct jet but just wrong clip position...

What do the insulators and end of thread base look like on your spark plugs?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
03 Aug 2009 17:36 - 03 Aug 2009 17:39 #311293 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Will not restart when hot
EgoCrusher wrote:

There is no difference in performance. The bike does back fire realy bad during deceleration. It is a little sluggish on take offs then it will just pull the wheel off the ground. It does it at norm temps of riding.

That sounds like a very lean pilot jet, needle set too lean, or a vacuum leak. Either will make it hard starting. The easy start cold is probably because you can use the choke which riches it up.

Does the bike have aftermarket pipes and/or pod air filters?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Aug 2009 17:39 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Aug 2009 17:49 #311295 by EgoCrusher
bountyhunter wrote:

EgoCrusher wrote:

There is no difference in performance. The bike does back fire realy bad during deceleration. It is a little sluggish on take offs then it will just pull the wheel off the ground. It does it at norm temps of riding.

That sounds like a very lean pilot jet, needle set too lean, or a vacuum leak. Either will make it hard starting. The easy start cold is probably because you can use the choke which riches it up.

is the pilot jet the one that is on the top of the carb motor side? The pipe have been gutted by the last owner and it has the stock air box.

More
03 Aug 2009 17:56 #311297 by EgoCrusher
Old Man Rock wrote:

"The bike does back fire really bad during deceleration. It is a little sluggish on take offs then it will just pull the wheel off the ground."...

Assuming all other mentioned items are within specification (please insure you measure/adjust to specifications) before going after your carbs... Best guess at this time is carburetor issues...

Most likely running lean thus over heating engine...
Either main/needle jets not the right size or gunked up etc...

I don't know your carbs (someone here should) so if the needle jets are the clip version, you need to richen it up by changing the clip position. If all is working, you should hear a difference in the exhaust popping...

Again, assuming they're the correct jet but just wrong clip position...

What do the insulators and end of thread base look like on your spark plugs?

OMR

the jets are120. And I need to buy a book for the bike unless someone has a PDF file they would like to share.

More
03 Aug 2009 21:58 - 03 Aug 2009 21:59 #311400 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Will not restart when hot
EgoCrusher wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

EgoCrusher wrote:

is the pilot jet the one that is on the top of the carb motor side? The pipe have been gutted by the last owner and it has the stock air box.

Not sure where they are on yours. You can look up the carb diagram on babbittsonline.com and it lists all the parts.

If the baffle is out of the pipe, it could be running very lean.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Aug 2009 21:59 by bountyhunter.

More
04 Aug 2009 10:01 #311496 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Will not restart when hot

EgoCrusher wrote:
And I need to buy a book for the bike unless someone has a PDF file they would like to share.

Here is a manual link courtesy of loudhvx.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/KZ5mnl.pdf

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
04 Aug 2009 11:31 #311512 by KZ1979LTD
Replied by KZ1979LTD on topic Will not restart when hot
I'm betting you have one or both coils going bad. I had problems with a bike years ago that would run like a scalded dog from one place to the next but when you shut her down and it cooled off it would not start. A mechanic told me the coils were "breaking down" and needed to be replaced. After replacing the coils it ran great after that. Check your coils and see if thats the problem. Good luck. Tom