Gasket sealant on both sides of gskt, can't split.

More
28 Jul 2009 15:02 #309905 by Sweet Back
It appears a brilliant one put gasket sealant on both sides of a gasket and now I cannot seperate the valve head from the jugs. The jugs are lifting but do not want to come up all the way. Can't really pry at it. Tried some gasket remover but that is not going to get in between the metal. Any suggestions would be welcome.

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2009 15:12 #309906 by Patton
Sweet Back wrote:

It appears a brilliant one put gasket sealant on both sides of a gasket and now I cannot seperate the valve head from the jugs. The jugs are lifting but do not want to come up all the way. Can't really pry at it. Tried some gasket remover but that is not going to get in between the metal. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Starting at the top ---
Valve cover
Gasket
Head
Gasket
Cylinders (jugs)
Base gasket
Case

Which gasket? :unsure:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Jul 2009 15:56 #309917 by Sweet Back
Starting at the top ---
Valve cover
Gasket
Head
Gasket<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This one
Cylinders (jugs)
Base gasket
Case

1996 KZ1000P

More
28 Jul 2009 17:04 #309934 by wes_scooter
Replied by wes_scooter on topic Gasket sealant on both sides of gskt, can't split.
u can try to tap a stiff puddy knife in there. might have to do this in several places. may give u the room to start prying it up.

76' kz900
70' yamaha R5
2006 wr450f

More
28 Jul 2009 18:20 - 28 Jul 2009 18:22 #309941 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket sealant on both sides of gskt, can't split.
If you can get the head/cylinder to lift off the pistons, you could then tap the head from the inside with a wooden stick and a hammer to get it to separate from the cylinder. There isn't much to pry against on the outside except fins and they snap off pretty easily.... guess how I know.

You could also soak the sucker in kerosene if it comes to that.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 28 Jul 2009 18:22 by bountyhunter.

More
28 Jul 2009 19:03 #309948 by gane
SB,A thought, 1st, remove cams,then,confirm all cyl stud nuts are removed AND the 2 external 6mm bolts at ends. then, remove #'s 1 & 4 spark plugs. feed in a foot or so of cotton clothes line/nylon pull starter rope thru plug holes... operate kick starter and allow pistons to push head off. the rope will do no harm, and cleans up easily. since cyls are already loose,and un secured to cases, it may just raise them off complete, if so, you've still won,sorta. removing the cyl from frozen rings/seized locating dowls is usually harder than head removal and usually winds up w/broken fins. hope this helps. g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
29 Jul 2009 08:11 #310054 by Sweet Back
The inginuity on this board never ceases to amaze me.

I always get concerned about using force with this stuff.

Putty knife did the trick. Thanks all.

1996 KZ1000P