KZ Turbo Design Help, Experience A Plus

More
19 Jul 2009 13:47 - 19 Jul 2009 13:49 #308057 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic KZ Turbo Design Help, Experience A Plus
If you want a daily driver then the zrx setup with the mods is the way. You can build your motor and forget it's aircooled and then it won't be a daily driver. I have overheating issues now with my 1075 NA I can only imagine what an 1198 would do when spanked on a hot summer day let alone boosted. I would stay smaller if you are going to boost it to Shiloh and back. But I don't know much about these things just that when you hit it hard and then have to stop at a stop light they aren't very streetable.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 19 Jul 2009 13:49 by saxjonz. Reason: wrong word

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2009 14:36 #308064 by MrExtreme
Replied by MrExtreme on topic KZ Turbo Design Help, Experience A Plus
True, over heating is an issue, i plan to take advantage of several high tech coatings, increased airflow with the use of spoilers and a largeer oil cooler with fan. I rode a 12.5 CR 1045 Z1 in the Texas heat for 2 years, these things will take it. This will not be a commuter bike, hell paint components alone are looking like a grand!!!

saxjonz wrote:

If you want a daily driver then the zrx setup with the mods is the way. You can build your motor and forget it's aircooled and then it won't be a daily driver. I have overheating issues now with my 1075 NA I can only imagine what an 1198 would do when spanked on a hot summer day let alone boosted. I would stay smaller if you are going to boost it to Shiloh and back. But I don't know much about these things just that when you hit it hard and then have to stop at a stop light they aren't very streetable.

You don't quit riding because you got old.
You get old because you quit riding.

More
19 Jul 2009 23:30 #308169 by zippy
Replied by zippy on topic KZ Turbo Design Help, Experience A Plus
PLUMMEN wrote:

my biggest issue with the superchargers is its very hard to change your boost without a lot of work changing drive pulleys around,they look cool though B)

Ouch - You are killin me here Plummen :-)

More
20 Jul 2009 07:51 #308208 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ Turbo Design Help, Experience A Plus
saxjonz wrote:

when the boost is turned down its basically a 8:1 motor with small cams,very streetable.it will start with an electric start,run on pump gas......... only time boost is a factor under normal conditions is when your laying into it B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Jul 2009 07:53 #308209 by PLUMMEN
zippy wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

my biggest issue with the superchargers is its very hard to change your boost without a lot of work changing drive pulleys around,they look cool though B)

did you notice i said theyre really cool looking? :woohoo: how do you adjust your over/underdrive on the blower without changing pulleys?ive dealt with it on boats before,just more time consuming is all B)

More
20 Jul 2009 15:13 - 20 Jul 2009 15:16 #308277 by zippy
Replied by zippy on topic KZ Turbo Design Help, Experience A Plus
PLUMMEN wrote:

zippy wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

did you notice i said theyre really cool looking? :woohoo: how do you adjust your over/underdrive on the blower without changing pulleys?ive dealt with it on boats before,just more time consuming is all B)

Yeah - Have to pull a gear off the blower and reset the idler pully. Takes about 5 min. which was never any big deal. Have gears for both 8 and 20lbs boost setup.

Having built a few dozen turbo bikes over the years as well as a few street supercharged bikes I would say to the OP to consider a few things.

1. Building a turbo bike is gonna be way easier than a supercharged bike. Just way more "kits" out there as well as parts both new and used as well as folks with 1st hand experiance with turbo bikes.

2. As OP stated - if he goes supercharger he is gonna have to do some fabrication work most likely as I don't believe there are any supercharger "kits" out there.

3. As far as positive things about building a supercharged bike - as you mentioned - I just think they look meaner. Everybody and their kid sister has a turbo bike. Not too many folks around with blown street KZs anymore especially if they are injected.

4. Supercharged bikes sounder meaner. No question about it. There is nothing worse in my mind than a 200+ bhp turbo bike that sounds like a motor scooter :cheer: With a blower bike you can put a header or drag pipes on and maintain that wonderful sound that we all love not to mention the whine of the blower. That just can't be beat in my book.

5. Gotta love that low RPM grunt with a supercharged bike as they are always on boost.

6. As far as performance differences - I figure it really doesn't matter as both systems can produce waaaaaaay more power than the bike or rider can probably handle unless he does some serious frame mods and puts mega bucks into the rear end.

7. I would definately go with EFI on either setup and would be on the phone to Hahn Racecraft in a heartbeat.

8. If it were my bike - and somebody handed me a pile of money to build it - I would luuuuuuuuv to build up a KZ with the new Magnuson Gen. 4 blower and a Hahn EFI injector system. God that would be a gorgeous setup. A real head turner :cheer:

Just some idle thoughts - drool

Zippy
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 15:16 by zippy.

More
20 Jul 2009 16:42 #308300 by MrExtreme
zippy wrote:

A lot!!!

Thanks, a couple good points to consider, this being my winter project, forced induction of some sort, I have time to research and ask questions.

Are there any carbs that can be used in a blow through application??

Check out this thread, I think I have the back half covered, just have to finish the front.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=11&id=305560

More
22 Jul 2009 12:41 - 22 Jul 2009 12:42 #308693 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic KZ Turbo Design Help, Experience A Plus
Holy #%^@$ if your gonna put a blown, injected engine in that project.... SICK!!!:evil:

The KZ gods will be pleased ;)

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Last edit: 22 Jul 2009 12:42 by Tyler.

More
22 Jul 2009 22:37 #308780 by MrExtreme
Tyler wrote:

Holy #%^@$ if your gonna put a blown, injected engine in that project.... SICK!!!:evil:

The KZ gods will be pleased ;)

Thanks man, yes that is the plan, I have done several Z1/KZ/GPZ bikes in the past, but I have never built a bike to this level, lot's of go, lot's of chrome, lot's of sparkle, it should be a looker!!

More
23 Jul 2009 07:13 - 23 Jul 2009 07:14 #308814 by PLUMMEN
try a turbo with a bottle and fuel injection,just need some motivation! :laugh:

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jul 2009 07:14 by PLUMMEN.

More
23 Jul 2009 16:51 #308888 by MrExtreme
PLUMMEN wrote:

try a turbo with a bottle and fuel injection,just need some motivation! :laugh:

You forgot intercooled!!!

More
23 Jul 2009 18:35 #308918 by PLUMMEN
no room for an intercooler :(