ST (shaft) Front bevel gear case removal??

More
09 Jul 2009 18:05 #305757 by KZ250LTD
The oil seal on the gear change shaft is leaking on my ST so i went and bought a new seal and I've been trying to remove the front bevel gear case assembly (under the "sprocket cover") according to the manual. I've taken out all the case bolts and the clutch cable and all that but I can't get the Yoke to slide backwards like the manual says to do. It specifies that you must turn the rear wheel until you see a pinhole, then depress the pin with a wire or such and "slide back the yoke of the propellor shaft to free the shaft from the driven gear joint".

The problem is that when I depress the pin and pry the yoke back with a flat head, it'll only go back maybe 1/2 an inch and then stop not magically separate like the manual says. Any tips on performing this feat of magic?

Thanks

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2009 18:50 #305778 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic ST (shaft) Front bevel gear case removal??
unbolt the rear wheel assembly,driveshaft will slide back further

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
11 Jul 2009 23:03 #306374 by davel
Replied by davel on topic ST (shaft) Front bevel gear case removal??
KZ250LTD wrote:

The oil seal on the gear change shaft is leaking on my ST so i went and bought a new seal and I've been trying to remove the front bevel gear case assembly

This might be easier:

- remove the shift lever

- take a steel hook (from a pick and hook set). Pierce the old seal, hook the metal housing and pull the seal out. You will likely have to pull in a few spots around the seal but it will come out.

- Ensure the shift shaft is smooth and rust free where the seal rides. If necessary, clean the shaft with fine sand paper.

- Lube the new seal with grease and gently tap into place using a deep well socket that slides over the shaft as a driver.

I did this a few years ago on my ST and it worked great. 15 minute job and no oil leaks since.