valve seal replacement

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
09 Jul 2009 06:27 #305612 by IowaKZ
valve seal replacement was created by IowaKZ
I'm in the middle of a valve seal replacement and I just got the engine apart. It was a bear because of all the EFI gear I had to pull out. Now that I have the head off, I'm going to do a big clean up. But I got concerned because I realized that I don't know how the oil flows up to the head. I want to be careful to not block anything off when I clean it up. Is there a diagram anywhere that shows the oil channels? or can someone describe it to me?

Also, when I pulled the head off, all of the valves looked like they had burnt oil on them, which confirms my seals were leaking, however, the #2 (or #3) intake valve was white. Any thoughts on the cause? I really don't have any way to adjust individual fuel flows because of the EFI. Could it be caused by a hot spot due to lack of oil in the head???

Also found out an interesting fact: I'm supposed to replace my fuel lines every 2 years. I'm pretty positive that the fuel lines are original, so I'll be adding that to the shopping list.

Oh yeah, pics to come. Sorry, I'm at work (shhh, don't tell anyone). I've been taking them during the teardown.

Thanks in advance.

Dale

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2009 06:50 #305620 by Kraz1

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
09 Jul 2009 07:44 #305627 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Oil Flow Chart
cool chart. thanks. I'm printing it out to look at and to put into my binder.

Thanks.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
09 Jul 2009 14:31 #305695 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic valve seal replacement
Oil usually flows up into the head through passages that have O ring seals at the cylinder-head interface. On mine, there are also metal tubes that function as restrictors to keep pressure up, but I don't know if yours has these. You definitely must replace all the O rings.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• IowaKZ
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
More
09 Jul 2009 18:47 #305777 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic valve seal replacement
thanks for the info. I got a gasket set from Jeff and I think that the o rings are in there. I'll check.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa