engine question, please read.

More
26 Jun 2009 15:22 #302296 by badboie
engine question, please read. was created by badboie
so I can't figure out why my engine keeps flooding out cylinder one. I have checked it out and I finally took it in to get it checked out... Turns out I need my upper end replaced or rebuilt. I have some other problems like the Alternator not keeping a charge. Anyways, I was just wondering if there are any other types of engines out there that are kawasaki that will work in the frame. I have searched ebay and craigslist for a kz750 ltd replacement with no luck. unless someone here has a 750 laying around that runs and is willing to get rid of it I think I might just go with a ninja or something of that sort if I can. any help would be nice. thanks.

josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2009 15:50 #302303 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic engine question, please read.
badboie wrote:

so I can't figure out why my engine keeps flooding out cylinder one. I have checked it out and I finally took it in to get it checked out... Turns out I need my upper end replaced or rebuilt.

The upper may need rebuilding, but the flooding is because the petcock is not shutting off and the float/seal assembly in the carb is leaking gas and can't cut off the gas flow securely.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Jun 2009 17:30 #302328 by badboie
Replied by badboie on topic engine question, please read.
yeah your right, and I bought brand new carbs for it. but still same problem, rebuilt the new carbs... same problem. The mechanic told me he thinks it needs to be rebuilt.... All I want it to ride my bike, its been over 2 years now!!!!!

More
26 Jun 2009 18:00 #302335 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic engine question, please read.
badboie wrote:

yeah your right, and I bought brand new carbs for it. but still same problem, rebuilt the new carbs... same problem. The mechanic told me he thinks it needs to be rebuilt.... All I want it to ride my bike, its been over 2 years now!!!!!

sounds like the mechanic has a car payment due.....what do you mean by flooding out?....runs and then floods out? missing on start-up?....just wondering

More
26 Jun 2009 18:54 - 26 Jun 2009 19:07 #302349 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic engine question, please read.
If not already done, would personally perform a compression test, AND assure valve clearances being to specs.

Install brand new spark plugs (per FSM specs) and visably observe spark quality on plug when removed from head.

And assure correct ignition timing, using a strobe type timing light. Confirm operation of advancer by watching it move back and forth as rpm's are varied by blipping the throttle.

Assure air filter is clean and flowing freely.

With decent compression and properly timed quality spark, may then proceed to assuring ample clean fuel supply through in-line filter to carbs.

Then use clear tube test to assure proper float bowl fuel levels.

Lastly -- after all the above -- address carb condition and tuning.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Jun 2009 19:07 by Patton.

More
26 Jun 2009 21:26 #302377 by NUB118
Replied by NUB118 on topic engine question, please read.
There is a motor for sale in the classifieds. states it runs....83 750 I believe!

IF YOU RUN......YOU'LL ONLY GO TO JAIL TIRED!!!

More
26 Jun 2009 21:50 - 26 Jun 2009 21:51 #302382 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic engine question, please read.
badboie wrote:

so I can't figure out why my engine keeps flooding out cylinder one.

That should be easy to correct by fixing the carb that feeds it. make sure the float is OK, not leaky. Take out the needle valve and the brass seat and polish them: the tapered end of the needle and the area of the seat it sets in. Set the fuel level in the bowl to spec and it won't flood.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Jun 2009 21:51 by bountyhunter.

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
26 Jun 2009 22:25 #302385 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic engine question, please read.
you say even with new carbs it does the same thing ?
maybe junk in the tank

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

More
27 Jun 2009 14:50 - 27 Jun 2009 14:54 #302521 by badboie
ok,well here is what I know about the engine and what I have done to it to try to fix it

One day I started up the bike and it ran like crap. so I got my dad to come out and listen. Thats when we decided to take off the spark plugs and check them out to see if they were ok or not. We tested them and they seem to be fine, they did spark. Then we noticed that the spark plug to the number one cylinder was quite wet but it DID however still sparked liked normal. so the next thing we checked was the carbs. we found that the carb associated with that cylinder was in fact stuck open and all the carbs were dirty so we stuck them in a carb bath and did a rebuilt on all of them. Droped them back on and it ran fine for about a day or 2 and same problem showed back up. so we just bought new carbs. Still same problem with even those. The bike does have an oil leak but from what the mechanic says its not causing this problem of mine but does need to be taken care of... duh. I really don't like this mechanic but he is the only guy around that will even work on older bikes. Everyone else hate working on older bikes and refuse to do so. So either the oil is leaking into that cylinder (which I believe it is) or I have spark or a carb problem still. Regardless to say, the mechanic says I should rebuild and that he would do it for around 700 bucks. I'm not spending that just to rebuild. so my bike has been sitting for a year and I'm really getting tired of having it there and not able to ride it.. oh and by the way... compression is green no problems at all there.

so I really appreciate all the help, thanks guys.

Josh
Last edit: 27 Jun 2009 14:54 by badboie.

More
27 Jun 2009 15:01 - 27 Jun 2009 15:02 #302522 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic engine question, please read.
If not already done, would assure valve clearances to specs and then perform a leakdown test to help determine general overall condition of top end.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jun 2009 15:02 by Patton.

More
27 Jun 2009 15:14 #302524 by badboie
Patton wrote:

If not already done, would assure valve clearances to specs and then perform a leakdown test to help determine general overall condition of top end.

to bad you don't live closer, at lease you sound like you know what your talking about. Wish the mechanic I go to sounded like he had half a brain. Thanks Patton I'll check that out.

More
27 Jun 2009 17:58 - 27 Jun 2009 18:03 #302546 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic engine question, please read.
"...it ran fine for about a day or 2 and same problem showed back up. so we just bought new carbs. Still same problem with even those." :(

IMHO, could be more than one cause for these symptoms. Do as suggested above... get a new good quality inline fuel filter installed ASAP. They are cheap. Try these gugs Link . This will eliminated any possibity of a dirty tank interfering with the the float bowl needle valve.

Another thought, swap the needle valve with one from another know working carb. If the problem follows the valve, you have found the offending part... disguard it.

Best of success. :)

PS
Please add your year, model and location in your signature to get the best responses and it's considered real friendly as well.
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jun 2009 18:03 by bill_wilcox100.