TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
26 Jun 2009 12:17 #302252 by szczupd
Hey guys can anyone tell me a trick for removing the clutch hub nut. Ive tried like crazy to get this thing off but im afraid of rounding out the nut I ahve on order the clutch hub pliers to hold the hub but I dont know man seems shady as my previous idea was to shady for me to actually go through with
Any Advice?

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle
1982 KZ750H LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2009 12:24 #302254 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????
Two words: air impact

Or you can beat yourself crazy for hours at a time trying to get the damn thing to bugger off. The choice is yours my friend...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
26 Jun 2009 12:26 #302255 by szczupd
Replied by szczupd on topic TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????
LOL thought of it and was great idea till I realized I dont have an impact gun LOL LOL I am trying to avoid that but if not I'll see if I can rent one from Home Depot or something

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle
1982 KZ750H LTD

More
26 Jun 2009 13:06 #302271 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????
Throw your bike in a truck and take it to a small shop somewhere close, bring a dozen donuts and offer them up as payment for the guy willing to take 2 seconds to spin the nut off for you. Should be done in about 3.5 seconds...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
26 Jun 2009 13:14 #302272 by szczupd
LMAO!!!! You know I'm upset I cant get this thing off but your reply has put the biggest smile on my face LOL Oh and just one dozen or two it might take a whole 5 seconds LOL

1982 KZ750H LTD

More
26 Jun 2009 14:14 #302284 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????
szczupd wrote:

LMAO!!!! You know I'm upset I cant get this thing off but your reply has put the biggest smile on my face LOL Oh and just one dozen or two it might take a whole 5 seconds LOL

have you tried putting a big box end wrench on it and tapping the wrench handle with a hammer?

The other thing is one of those strap wrenches everybody sells for gripping clutches.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
26 Jun 2009 15:57 #302307 by szczupd
Im afraid to tap on a wrench like that, i was always told to apply steady pressure in a situatuion like this and the elastic grip wrench thing I tried already, nuts to thats idea she just spins:unsure:

1982 KZ750H LTD

More
26 Jun 2009 16:00 #302308 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????
breaker bar with 10' cheater pipe while somebody holds the brakes for ya :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 Jun 2009 16:46 - 26 Jun 2009 16:47 #302320 by Barber
Replied by Barber on topic TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????
just put the right sized wrench on it and smack the hell out of the other end with a hammer.... it "shocks" it loose.. same basic principle as an impact gun....

Green 76 Z900 A4
Last edit: 26 Jun 2009 16:47 by Barber.

More
26 Jun 2009 17:15 - 26 Jun 2009 17:16 #302322 by bountyhunter
Barber wrote:

just put the right sized wrench on it and smack the hell out of the other end with a hammer.... it "shocks" it loose.. same basic principle as an impact gun....

+1 A steady pressure twist is actually what can shear things off, the sharp jolt is what makes things break loose.

Dumb question: did you try spraying the hell out of the nut with penetrating oil spray?

The other tool which might work is a hand drive impact driver. They are cheap (I think I have thee of them) and they have a 1/2 drive head on them you can put a socket on. You smack them on the end with a hammer and they twist the head. Only worry is it may not be a good idea to be smacking inward on the end of the crankshaft (?)

Here's an example:

www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=V...m_campaign=nextag_r1

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Jun 2009 17:16 by bountyhunter.

More
26 Jun 2009 17:19 #302324 by bountyhunter
PLUMMEN wrote:

breaker bar with 10' cheater pipe while somebody holds the brakes for ya :laugh:

I seem to remember way back when I changed my clutch having my left foot on the rear brake pedal while I beat on the wrench....:laugh:

I suppose that means I had it in gear?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Jun 2009 17:36 #302329 by fochtup1
Replied by fochtup1 on topic TRICK FOR REMOVING CLUTCH HUB NUT!!! ????
i use a penny in between the gears...wont hurt the gears as copper is a softer metal.