Synth Blend and Sea Foam?

More
24 Jun 2009 07:25 #301738 by Locozuna
Synth Blend and Sea Foam? was created by Locozuna
OK helping neighbor with his 76 900. He just got it. Has 30,000 but says top end was done last year. He did an oil change after he says his pressure zeroed twice while riding. He used a synth blend. I want to drop the pan and see if the screen is restricted but he wants to add a can of sea foam and run it for a few miles. Seems when he starts the bike the pressure is at 9 - 12 but after warming it drops to zero. I can also hear the top end get noisy so I believe the gauge to be reading right. Mine drops off to about 2 or 3 after warming. Trouble is I'm not sure how synth blend will react to seafoam. Some of these new fangled oils can do some odd things. Anybody ever add seafoam to a synth blend bike? For all I know his adding the synth blend to a bike weaned on crude ;) could be the culprit but he swears it did it before he changed the oil. I am having a hard time convincing him to just drop the pan and take a look. He wants to seafoam it before dropping the pan. Comments? Experience? Snide remarks? Uncontrollable laughter? Gibberish? :blink:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 07:55 - 24 Jun 2009 08:01 #301748 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Synth Blend and Sea Foam?
I run pure synthetic 5W-30 to which I add Ryslone and Seafoam. I have been running this mix in My 76 900 and 81 1000. for all of about 5 years now. The mix is 5qts oil, 1qt Ryslone .5 btl Sea foam and 1pt Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer. This blend I use in every oil change and add as required. I will now also start adding a half bottle of Red Line Engine Break-In Additive with Zinc. I have never had any problems running this blend and the engine is as clean as a whistle. If his oil level is up to level and his pressure drops to the point where the red light turns on, than I suspect other problems. My 76 has about 60,000 (no rebuild ever done) on it and the only time the red light flickers is when the oil level drops too low.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 24 Jun 2009 08:01 by otakar.

More
24 Jun 2009 13:25 #301801 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Synth Blend and Sea Foam?
Seafoam won't hurt the oil but I sure agree that the pan needs to come down and the pump needs to come off. You can measure the clearances on the rotors and see if it's hosed. Also, there is a main seal that may need to be replaced. On mine, the pump is really easy to take off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jun 2009 13:28 #301802 by bountyhunter
Locozuna wrote:

For all I know his adding the synth blend to a bike weaned on crude ;) could be the culprit but he swears it did it before he changed the oil.

Impossible. Syn oils and dino oils mix with no problems, which is what a "syn blend" oil is anyway.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jun 2009 13:46 #301804 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Synth Blend and Sea Foam?
Thats just it he gets good pressure but it wicks away as the machine runs and gets warm. I agree the pan has to come down but I kinda figure the pump is sucking something onto the screen as the oil thins. He agrees but just wants to throw seafoam in so when he drops the pan he thinks his engine will be cleaner. Kind of like douching it for when the pan drops. I have a new pump if he needs it. He just ordered a gasket but you did remind me of the seal. I don't have one so he has to order one too. I just wanted to know if anyone had added seafoam to a Synth blend before. I'm a dino that sticks to dino oils. ;)

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
24 Jun 2009 15:17 #301810 by bountyhunter
Locozuna wrote:

Thats just it he gets good pressure but it wicks away as the machine runs and gets warm. I agree the pan has to come down but I kinda figure the pump is sucking something onto the screen as the oil thins. He agrees but just wants to throw seafoam in so when he drops the pan he thinks his engine will be cleaner. Kind of like douching it for when the pan drops. I have a new pump if he needs it. He just ordered a gasket but you did remind me of the seal. I don't have one so he has to order one too. I just wanted to know if anyone had added seafoam to a Synth blend before. I'm a dino that sticks to dino oils. ;)

Yes, I have put Seafoam into my bike oil which is a 50-50 blend of dino and syn. No problem, ran it about 100 miles and changed it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Jun 2009 15:51 #301811 by Locozuna
Fair enough. We will proceed. Offhand does anyone know the clearances for the impeller of the oil pump? While I'm still betting something clogging the screen I shall prepare for a pumpectomy! :pinch: Just ordered a gasket for the pump.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
24 Jun 2009 16:53 - 24 Jun 2009 16:58 #301826 by bountyhunter
Locozuna wrote:

Fair enough. We will proceed. Offhand does anyone know the clearances for the impeller of the oil pump? While I'm still betting something clogging the screen I shall prepare for a pumpectomy! :pinch: Just ordered a gasket for the pump.

I have the specs for a 750 twin pump but it is not the same pump in yours.
I was told (and found on my own 750) that it's unusual for KZ pumps to wear much unless severely abused with dirty oil and many miles of service. Clogging it up is more likely.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 24 Jun 2009 16:58 by bountyhunter.

More
24 Jun 2009 17:38 #301834 by wes_scooter
Replied by wes_scooter on topic Synth Blend and Sea Foam?
spec is .0001-.0014 with a service limit of .004

76' kz900
70' yamaha R5
2006 wr450f

More
24 Jun 2009 18:24 #301847 by Locozuna
Thank ya kindly guys. I agree in that I believe it to an obstruction and not the pump. But I think he'd pitch a fit if the bike took too long to fix so I'm just coverin' him.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
24 Jun 2009 19:04 - 24 Jun 2009 19:13 #301866 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Synth Blend and Sea Foam?
If not already done, would double-check for correct installation of oil filter. For example, spring might be on the wrong side (likely eliminate the filtering, but without influencing the pressure).

Is oil filter itself okay (not collasped or clogged)?

Is oil filter by-pass operational?

Also check condition of oil passage o-ring in oil pump.

And condition of the oil pan o-ring.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Jun 2009 19:13 by Patton.

More
24 Jun 2009 19:28 #301872 by Locozuna
He did just do an oil change with new filter but he said it had done it before. I know I'm asking for trouble here but just how can you mess up filter installation. I suppose if you don't put the spring on or the washer but would that do what I described? It goes up to 9 - 12lbs for a minute or two and then just dies to zero and the top starts to make noise. I do not think his oil light is working since it's not on with the key turn. Since he has a gauge I'm not too concerned with that for now. Gauge is correct type, a low pressure unit. He said he put Synth-Blend 20-50 but I asked him what kind and he couldn't remember. I got to ask him if he remembers the spring and washer when he did it. We have the pan gasket so I am gonna go ahead and have him drop the pan and eyeball it. (I'm supervising and advising ...he's 2 years younger than me so he just barely remembers Moses)
But
Also check condition of oil passage o-ring in oil pump. ? :huh:

And condition of the oil pan o-ring. ? :huh:

what are these of which you type? :huh:

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied