Building a engine for around 2K$

More
14 Jun 2009 14:20 #299136 by kzmarvo
Building a engine for around 2K$ was created by kzmarvo
Was curious if someone had a kz1000 engine and wanted to build the badest streetable engine they could for around $2000 What would be needed. Just looking down the road for this winter...And opinions,or a list of products and cost would be sweet....

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2009 15:03 #299143 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
1075 plus piston kit ~ $600 + pending new / used.
Bore & hone $300-$400 ($80 a hole here in Az)
possibly new sleeves pending size piston selection ...
Camshafts pending used / new... $300-$500
Adjustable cam gears... $75 each = $150
Wedded crank to handle increased torque ~$200
All new timing components (chain, rubber, gears) $300 +
New gasket complete set $80

If above mentioned used, Head valves/seals/guides P&P.... ~ $600 +

As can be reviewed, this stuff adds up fast. All depends on what your desiring. New parts (recommended) but since you gave it a $2K setting, will require some used pieces such as the camshafts.

Now throw in the following for what good is the above if you only have POS carbs installed....
Carbs $700
electronic ignition $240 + pending model
Exhaust $500 +

Time to rape the kids college fund....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
14 Jun 2009 15:16 #299149 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
LMAO that last comment was funny!:P
I'm just looking down the road to this winter,i'm gonna build me a motor,was curious on cost. i will have the coils and ignition jive and probably the pipe...

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
14 Jun 2009 17:37 - 14 Jun 2009 17:44 #299168 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
depending on what you have to start with i say build a solid bottem end then you can always add to the topside as time and money allow without having to pull motor back out again. B)you could keep an eye out at your local track for a broke racer trying to unload a cheap kz dragbike then you could take what you need for your project and unload the rest of the parts to make your money back,ive done this plenty of times you just need to know what youre looking for. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2009 17:44 by PLUMMEN.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
14 Jun 2009 18:00 #299172 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
How much of the work can you do yourself?

That's going to make a big difference in how far the money will go.

More
14 Jun 2009 18:58 #299181 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
I can have the work do for free or almost nothing(case of beer or so)

More
14 Jun 2009 19:46 #299197 by KZ101
Replied by KZ101 on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
For what i was quoted for a rebuild with a big bore kit, i was better off taking the money and buying a bike with lower miles. So instead of geting the motor rebuilt. I spent the money on a great paint job, and some aftermarket parts. In my case, the motor really did not need a rebuild i just wanted to bore it out for more HP. A heck of a lot cheaper and got tons of looks.Just for thought.

More
14 Jun 2009 19:49 - 14 Jun 2009 20:05 #299201 by edspring1
Replied by edspring1 on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
baddest street bike ?
my only advice is...yer gonna need more money. but then again you got a free set of drag bars didn't you? i am sure that goes a long way!
as you all can see myself and good ole marvo75 have had our differences. i sent him a set of $20 bars to satisfy HIS add here on KZr to TRADE for his $20 set of bars. Problem is he had MY bars in 2-3 days, I have yet to get HIS bars. Then he starts calling me a fag/gay, and a bunch of other childish crap when I am forced to continually check with him to see if/when he has shipped the bars. Which he promised to, no less than 4 times. I am sure he will claim to have stopped delivery, and I don't really care. The post office will NOT stop delivery! And thats the means of which he promised to ship them. I gave it back to him harder than he could take I guess...LOL I still have no bars because HE never intended on sending any in the 1st place.
This guy is exactly why we all need a FORUM for sellers !
Last edit: 14 Jun 2009 20:05 by edspring1.

More
14 Jun 2009 19:54 #299204 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
can't help to ask... does anyone want to build my engine? I pay 2 cases of beer and throw in a free tax return prep :)

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

More
14 Jun 2009 20:06 #299213 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
if you can get it on the plane going back with me lets talk! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
14 Jun 2009 20:27 #299223 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
edspring1 wrote:

baddest street bike ?
my only advice is...yer gonna need more money. but then again you got a free set of drag bars didn't you? i am sure that goes a long way!
as you all can see myself and good ole marvo75 have had our differences. i sent him a set of $20 bars to satisfy HIS add here on KZr to TRADE for his $20 set of bars. Problem is he had MY bars in 2-3 days, I have yet to get HIS bars. Then he starts calling me a fag/gay, and a bunch of other childish crap when I am forced to continually check with him to see if/when he has shipped the bars. Which he promised to, no less than 4 times. I am sure he will claim to have stopped delivery, and I don't really care. The post office will NOT stop delivery! And thats the means of which he promised to ship them. I gave it back to him harder than he could take I guess...LOL I still have no bars because HE never intended on sending any in the 1st place.
This guy is exactly why we all need a FORUM for sellers !

Damn. Calling his azz out. I thought Marvo has been around for a long time on this forum and was pretty cool.

More
14 Jun 2009 20:50 #299255 by edspring1
Replied by edspring1 on topic Building a engine for around 2K$
I have been coming to KZr for about 2-3 years. Always found it a place to get informed and bought and sold a few items. Generally just kept my mouth shut and a low profile. No reason to be any different.
Lately I have been scammed a few times.
Unfornutely marvo75 was one of those times.
The guy had a add for Trade. He claimed to have a brand new set of Super Bike bars that he wanted to trade for a set of chrome drag bars. I sent him pics of my NEW IN WRAP bars and asked for pics of his. Main reason is I wasn't even sure if I could use them. Anyway I never got a pic, BUT I trusted him and went ahead and sent my bars to him. He had them in 2-3 days. A few more days passed and I started asking him when and how he shipped his bars to me. Everytime I asked him [4 times] he had another lame story.
On the last request he then started calling me gay, fag, and how he was and could/should kick my ass? I love the last one...LOL
Anyway as a way out for him he also told me he was going to stop shipment of the bars....LOL He never sent them or possibly never had a set to begin with.
Out of curiousity I called the post office [he said they were already shipped] and asked them if they stopped shipments. The clerk assured me there was NO WAY that could happen if shipped with normal means...LOL So another fib...LOL
He promised to ship them 2 day, then overnight, he thought his wife had shipped them, he was going to ship them so on and so on.
Without any doubts I want anyone that reads this to know, I lowered myself and played his game. I insulted him, his mother, as well as wife [i think]. I gave it back to him harder than he gave it to me. And obviously he couldn't handle it.
I am just sick and freaking tired of these BS scammers getting away with it.
This is more than likely the last I am going to say of this poor excuse of a member, or circumstances. All I know is I did what I promised, and he didn't. I lowered myself to his standards and I am not proud of it. But I am not appologizing for it either. Folks like marvo75 get what they deserve.