Questions about andrews cams

More
09 Mar 2006 12:07 #29631 by kawtoy
Questions about andrews cams was created by kawtoy
I have some cams I need help with. Intake is a 4X grind which has .430 lift and 286 deg duration. Exhaust is 8X which has .410 lift and 266 deg duration. I want to put them in my 1000 with 10.5 compression Yosh pistons. I know I will need to clearance the valve cover and head. I also need some adjustable sprockets and APE valve springs. What else will I need to do? Will this combo work alright? Thanks

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2006 12:16 #29633 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Questions about andrews cams
It should I just got my head back from Raceworks with a similiar Web cam and am using a 12:1 cr kit. Head was relieved a tiny bit. You will require aftermarket valve springs as stock spring will bind. Shim underbucket tappets is a good idea as well. This will require valve work. Valves will have to be turned down to length and the relief for the keepers is square (I believe) on under bucket tappets. I think the stock valves have a rounded relief for stock keepers.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2006 13:34 #29640 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Questions about andrews cams
you are running quite a bit bigger camshaft on intake than exhaust,have you done any other work on head?in my experiance the exhuast side tends to be the weaker side of z-head,if you put more in them you can take out thats counterproductive .:whistle:dont forget piston to valve clearance.goodluck,happy wrenching!

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/03/09 16:46

More
09 Mar 2006 14:29 #29659 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Questions about andrews cams
Head is stock except for a light port, polish. I might have the two mixed up, intake may be bigger cam. I will have to look again. I have had these for about 6 months and now I need to either put them in or sell them and get some smaller ones. I was hoping to not have to mess with the valves. I have the shim under buckets ready from a 650 and I still need to get the springs and sprockets.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
09 Mar 2006 15:51 #29678 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Questions about andrews cams
If you already have shim unders, new springs and a bit of relieve should be fine.

More
09 Mar 2006 16:31 #29687 by kawtoy
Do you think it will clear the pistons?

More
09 Mar 2006 19:12 #29709 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Questions about andrews cams
The head I just pulled off had .425 intake and exhaust with stock valves and MTC 10.5:1 pistons. No problems in many many miles of riding. My engine builder told me that as long as you have aftermarket pistons, the valves should clear with at least .435 cams, and that's with oversized valves (37.5 and 31 I think). I haven't got the parts back yet so I don't know if he really knows what he's talking about, but he has a very reputable business and has been into big time drag racing for years. I'm having the head done and going bigger on the bore, and he says no problem with the valve to piston clearance as long as the valve to valve clearance is OK. He may be sinking the valves in a little deeper, but I think that's because they are larger. I think you'll be OK, but let's see what the others have to say. Good Luck!

Post edited by: 79MKII, at: 2006/03/09 22:18

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
10 Mar 2006 05:33 #29813 by craigpuckett
Replied by craigpuckett on topic Questions about andrews cams
the 4x cam has a lot of duration,the 8x has short duration,your going to have problems with double intake pulses IMHO.

the 8x is the same as ape's 410 if you wanted a matched set,or it would work good with ape's 435 or a cam motion z5

if you could find someone that wanted the 4x to match up with a 6x you would be in luck, that is a killer pro-gas (9.20) cam setup (needs high comp. and 1200cc)

I guess what I am saying is they are both good cams just not in the combination that you are going to use em.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2006 05:42 #29816 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Questions about andrews cams
yep;)

More
10 Mar 2006 07:27 #29836 by kawtoy
Thanks. I was looking for a .410 set when I founf these. So anyone looking for a trade? My 4X for your 8X or .410 grind. I guess I could post on dragbike.com and see what happens. Thanks again.

More
10 Mar 2006 13:01 #29910 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Questions about andrews cams
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

It should I just got my head back from Raceworks with a similiar Web cam and am using a 12:1 cr kit. Head was relieved a tiny bit. You will require aftermarket valve springs as stock spring will bind. Shim underbucket tappets is a good idea as well. This will require valve work. Valves will have to be turned down to length and the relief for the keepers is square (I believe) on under bucket tappets. I think the stock valves have a rounded relief for stock keepers.

There is no valve work necessary to switch to shim under buckets. You need only to change retainers and buckets. All valves and keepers can be used just as they are.

Jay

More
10 Mar 2006 13:04 #29911 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Questions about andrews cams
When Andrews got out of the import bike cam business, we purchased the masters for the two most popular ones, the 5X and 8X. Those became our K410 and K435 which are still very popular.
kzzone.com/cams.html

Jay