valve cover gasket

• rtdakota2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • MOPAR or NO CAR
More
29 May 2009 22:11 #294941 by rtdakota2001
valve cover gasket was created by rtdakota2001
well i just bought myself a 80 KZ1000 shaft drive last weekend and so far i love it. only thing wrong is i have to do a valve cover gasket. anyone done this before? i am currently a mechanic (dodge, specifically) and was wondering if there is anything i should watch out for or anything special i have to do. i am by no means mechanically challenged so i don't for see this being a huge deal but let me know guys, i appreciate it.;)

1980 KZ1000 shaft
2001 dodge dakota, fully built, waiting for n2o tuning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
29 May 2009 22:32 #294945 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic valve cover gasket
Not that big of a deal to do at all. Just make sure you take out all the valve cover bolts. The cover comes off from the rear over the carbs. If ya get stuck you can put up something here and we will help ya out, there are a great group of guy's here.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
30 May 2009 04:27 #294979 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic valve cover gasket
I might add that you should determine if the valve cover gasket needs replacing versus one or more of the cam shaft plugs. If they are the issue, then just replacing the gasket will not help. In either scenario, the valve cover gasket needs replacing. If you also replace the cam end plugs, you'll need gasket sealer for the plugs. The valve cover gasket goes on dry. :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
30 May 2009 06:23 #294993 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic valve cover gasket
Remember the valve cover bolts are threaded into 30 year old aluminum, not Mopar cast iron ;) I suggest using a small scale torque wrench to be safe. Do you have a factory manual yet? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 May 2009 07:28 #295005 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic valve cover gasket
Easy 1 hr job at the most, but like the others have said, check out the rubber first for leaks. Paper gaskets don't develop leaks unless previous installation was done wrong. One thing to watch closely is you get the correct gasket. A 1979-80 valve cover gasket is not the same as a 77-78 KZ1000.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• The Garbone
  • User
  • User is Currently waiting for his bailout check..
More
30 May 2009 07:28 #295006 by The Garbone
Replied by The Garbone on topic valve cover gasket
I just did mine last week.. The prev owner had used RTV and it leaked from the end caps. Got an new gasket from Z1. Cleaned the engine real well but could not get new end caps so I cleaned the old ones and used RTV on just the caps and no leaks. Very easy actually.

2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n

More
30 May 2009 07:54 - 30 May 2009 07:55 #295009 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic valve cover gasket
Obviously from the replies... Yeah, we've all have done this before.... Numerous times actually... :laugh:

The before mentioned are spot on... B)

Only one thing I would add is in a tip I learned from Plummen and Larry C which is golden for Steel/SS bolts into aluminum threading....

Permatex Anti Seize Lubricant is a must! ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2009 07:55 by Old Man Rock.

More
30 May 2009 08:03 - 30 May 2009 08:03 #295010 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic valve cover gasket
In cases where the old gasket has hardened and encrusted itself onto the mating surfaces of the valve cover and engine head, the most time-consuming, and necessary, part of the procedure is careful and painstaking removal of the old gasket so that no trace whatever remains, leaving the mating surfaces in perfect as new condition, smooth, and free from scratches or gouges.

Gasket sealer is NOT needed when installing the new gasket, and should not be used. When properly installed, dry, the new gasket won't leak and should remain serviceable through several subsequent removals and replacements of the valve cover.

Should thoroughly clean half moon end caps and very sparingly use silicone sealer around them when fitted into position. Assure no silicone gets underneath valve cover to come loose and clog oil passages.

If any oil leakage is suspected through or around the tach drive, this would be an opportune time to replace the o-ring between tach housing and engine head and replace the inner seal around the shaft drive inside the housing. Without the tach cable attached to the tach drive, there should be no oil leakage whatever, and should be able to watch and see the slotted end of the shaft drive spinning when the engine is running, all with no oil leaks where the inner seal is in good condition and properly functioning.

The gasket, and any tach drive parts needed, are availabe at Z1E.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 May 2009 08:03 by Patton.

More
30 May 2009 09:45 #295040 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic valve cover gasket
There are of course different methods to do the same thing that all work really. My advice is pretty much same as patton except, just from my own experience, look for leaking cam end plugs and tach drive orings first. If they are leaking, don't bother trying to seal and reuse them, replace the leaky ones. Use Yamabond #4 sealer or equiv on the replaced end plugs. I never had luck with silicon sealer, but never tried it on the end plugs. Probably work too. Determine which plugs are *NOT* leaking and don't touch them, leave them be. If you're careful you can separate the gasket from the end plugs without disturbing the plugs. If a previously good plug comes loose when trying to remove the gasket, replace it. Don't seal old hardened plugs as it won't hold. Just my experience, other guys have done it and it's worked for them. Personally I want to put the engine together once only and not worry about leaks, so plugs go in the trash if they leak or are fondled in any way :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 May 2009 13:39 #295077 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic valve cover gasket
rtdakota2001 wrote:

well i just bought myself a 80 KZ1000 shaft drive last weekend and so far i love it. only thing wrong is i have to do a valve cover gasket. anyone done this before? i am currently a mechanic (dodge, specifically) and was wondering if there is anything i should watch out for or anything special i have to do. i am by no means mechanically challenged so i don't for see this being a huge deal but let me know guys, i appreciate it.;)

Just don't over crank the bolts in the cover. I think they spec at 110 inch pounds (about 9 foot pounds) but IMHO, that's too much. I would say about 60 I-P is enough. Those bolts strip easily.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 May 2009 13:41 - 30 May 2009 13:42 #295078 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic valve cover gasket
The Garbone wrote:

I just did mine last week.. The prev owner had used RTV and it leaked from the end caps. Got an new gasket from Z1. Cleaned the engine real well but could not get new end caps so I cleaned the old ones and used RTV on just the caps and no leaks. Very easy actually.

+1 If the end caps are old, it's smart to take them all out, clean them (and the head surfaces) and glue them up with some good sealer. Those suckers do like to leak, especially when they are old and hard.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 May 2009 13:42 by bountyhunter.

• rtdakota2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • MOPAR or NO CAR
More
30 May 2009 13:49 #295081 by rtdakota2001
Replied by rtdakota2001 on topic valve cover gasket
wow, thanks guys. i really appreciate all the input. yes i just ordered a new gasket and a shop manual. so everything should get here in a few days. if i have any problems i will toss them up here. let me just say that this is wonderful, the response time to my thread was almost nothing and there a re a ton of replies, i have been on many a forum in my day for my trucks, dirt bikes, etc etc, but this was the best as far as amount of replies and time, and everyone's willingness to help out a noob. thanks a bunch guys, and i'm sure i will stick around!

1980 KZ1000 shaft
2001 dodge dakota, fully built, waiting for n2o tuning.