Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?

More
15 May 2009 20:38 #291557 by DJ
I am interested in wrapping my stock KZ1100 4 into 2 head pipes. Anyone know how much 2" wrap it would take to do just the 4 head pipes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2009 21:07 - 15 May 2009 21:13 #291564 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
Assuming you use about a 50% overlap on each wind, you can estimate how much you need by:

measure TOTAL linear length of pipe to be covered.

measure the width of the tape.

divide total linear pipe length by tape width

multiply X 6 to get approximate length of tape needed

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 May 2009 21:13 by bountyhunter.

More
16 May 2009 03:35 #291598 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
I did my 650 with 2" wrap and I used about 75 - 85 feet.

More
16 May 2009 04:24 #291601 by Dragone
Replied by Dragone on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
Question: Wrapping deteriorates the exhaust in what 1 yr of operation? Titanium pipe wrapping is a no no, so why wrap?

More
16 May 2009 04:42 #291606 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
Wrapping has been on my bike for about three years and still looks ok. Coated it with the recomended silicone spray and it seems to keep it dry. The only marks I have on it is from the time the racoons broke into the shed and tried to steal my bike.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

• Bdog
  • User
  • Sweep the leg johnny!!!
More
16 May 2009 10:30 #291670 by Bdog
Replied by Bdog on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
Dragone where did you get that from? My pipes are also wrapped for the past 2 or 3 years and I have no signs of deteriorating head pipes. Mine stays inside and I rarely run in the rain. But when they do get wet, it just evaporates.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/338400-a-little-bit-of-an-upgrade

'77 KZ650-C1 -- build
810 kit
GPZ cams and carbs
ZX6R front end
GSXR600 Rear
Kerker
Dyna
Accel
ContiMotion tires (120/60-17&170/60-17)
Attachments:

More
16 May 2009 13:05 #291686 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
FWIW, I have never used pipe wrap but I did read that the NASCAR guys abandoned it because it made the pipes wear out faster. I think the problem is that condensation can get on the surface of the pipe under the wrap which keeps it moist longer and will accelerate pipe deterioration. YMMV, that's what I read never used the stuff myself.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 May 2009 13:16 #291689 by Dragone
Replied by Dragone on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
Bdog wrote:

Dragone where did you get that from? My pipes are also wrapped for the past 2 or 3 years and I have no signs of deteriorating head pipes. Mine stays inside and I rarely run in the rain. But when they do get wet, it just evaporates.

That is just from what I have seen. The oxidation factor. Stock steel pipes are gone in a few yrs.

More
20 May 2009 19:29 #292995 by darmahsd
Replied by darmahsd on topic Anyone used exhaust wrap on head pipes?
I got the Supertrapp/Kerker pipe for my '84 GPZ almost twenty years ago. They were non chrome, so I immediately had them sand blasted and aluminized. I ran them like that until I got fairing lowers. The heat from the pipes blistered the paint on the lowers so I had to redo the fairing. I put the wrap over the aluminized pipe to prevent that from happening again and not for any performance gain from heat retention. I recently removed it after many years where I occasionally rode through heavy rain. The pipe underneath remained perfect, showing only the spiral pattern of the wrap on top of the aluminum coating. The reason for removing it was because a hole to the pipe was worn through when it rubbed against stuff that was packed on the trailer with the bike when I had to move a few years ago. So, I will redo it without concern for it's longevity. The key is to spray over it with their silicone heat paint to seal it from the water absorbing and evaporation cycling. There are better coatings now since I blasted and aluminized the headers. If I do another set of plain tube headers,
I probably would Jet Hot coat them.

Stephen