Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76" KZ900

• spearsgaryhi
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2009 04:55 - 03 May 2009 05:24 #287405 by spearsgaryhi
Replied by spearsgaryhi on topic Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76
I'm not looking for any more power at this time. So I don't plan on installing a piston kit or changing the jets. Its very tempting. But I'm trying to Keep this as simple as possible and costs down. Other than the fact that she leeks oil, and is missing at lower RPMs. She still runs really strong when I hit the throttle. I'll replace the valve guide seals and perhaps the springs. But without the power upgrade should I still replace the rotor bolts, case bolts, and the studs for the crank bearing support? As well as the cylinder studs? But thanks for the advice. Have a great day tomorrow.
Last edit: 03 May 2009 05:24 by spearsgaryhi. Reason: added information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spearsgaryhi
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2009 05:28 - 03 May 2009 05:51 #287408 by spearsgaryhi
I'm not building a hot rod Timebomb33. Just a stock rebuild. So I'll just leave the crank-pins alone at this time. That's only if you agree though. If not I'll have them welded. Perhaps for a future power upgrade? What do you think. Thanks for the info.
Last edit: 03 May 2009 05:51 by spearsgaryhi. Reason: Added information

More
03 May 2009 06:39 #287420 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76
its a cheap upgrade that saves having to split cases again later if you ever decide to warm the motor up,just make sure crank is straight first.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• spearsgaryhi
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2009 11:46 #287485 by spearsgaryhi
Thanks for the advice PLUMMEN. Will do then. I was just reading another thread about my same bike. When I order my Cam Chain should I go ahead and order the rubber parts for the cam chain adjusters/etc as well? sounds like they will need replacing according to what I've read.

More
03 May 2009 14:39 #287536 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76
trianglelaguna wrote:

...a good radio station with no commercials...

Now wait a minute..... don't specify tools that don't exist or it will scare him.:laugh:

I ran speaker wires out to my garage so I could play music out there from my inside stereo.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 May 2009 16:05 #287557 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76
spearsgaryhi wrote:

Thanks for the advice PLUMMEN. Will do then. I was just reading another thread about my same bike. When I order my Cam Chain should I go ahead and order the rubber parts for the cam chain adjusters/etc as well? sounds like they will need replacing according to what I've read.

check your old parts 1st ,lots of little things that can wear out.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 May 2009 17:24 #287589 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76
trianglelaguna wrote:

a couple 5 gal buckett lids up side down to throw the greasy parts in as your doing each section.....a large size zip lock bags box and a sharpie to record each bags contents and a directional arrow ect....a hone stone...toilit brush....clean floor to find the clips that shoot twenty feet.....
a note pad glued to a sized peice of plywood with a hole to hang it by your bench so you can write reminders of where stuff goes as you tear down.....a good radio station with no commercials...every rag on the property.... piece of medium grit and fine grit sand paper stapled to some 1x3 blocks..........one case of sugar free rockstars......lava hand soap...orange hand cleaner.....a good wife/or girlfreind helps too.........pictures are a must....welcome...peace craig

every rag on the property is an understatement....my wife still hasnt realized what is missing yet....:laugh:

• spearsgaryhi
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2009 19:30 #287650 by spearsgaryhi
Replied by spearsgaryhi on topic Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76" KZ900
Thanks guys. My zune 8GB MP3 player is always commercial free and full of music, podcasts, and audiobooks. I'll have more questions once I dig into the engine. Have a great day. I'm going back to reading more of the posts. There frying my brain with information but I cant seem to stop.:S What have I gotten myself into? It was nitro remote control cars for years. Now there all going on eBay, and I'm buying motorcycle parts. I can see myself with 2 or 3 bikes by the end of next year. Whats this crap? I blame you all for being so friendly about answering my silly questions. The fact that I can actually ride thees toys is also a plus. Aloha boys and have a good week at work.;)

More
04 May 2009 12:25 #287837 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Rookie about to start a rebuild. 76" KZ900
Just remember these are solid engines and bikes, everything you do to them makes a difference. Now what's better than that?