Cam Chain Rattle

More
25 Apr 2009 22:08 #285287 by 6leafclover
Replied by 6leafclover on topic Cam Chain Rattle
im not sure about weather or not the tensioner is good or any other cam chain parts, i was told that the motor was gone through by the PO and everything ive seen so far looks good it has brand new ignition plate and starter clutch and stater ect ect but thats as far as ive been into it. i still havent taken the tensioner out but i will just to see what it looks like but im really thinking that everything is working right other than the fact that the auto part of the tensioner is disabled due to the bigger bolt, i'll post back tomorrow and let ya all know what happens after i try to set it again

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2009 12:39 #285723 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Cam Chain Rattle
I had a similar issue, I kept trying to adjust the chain tesnsioner but the chain would still rattle when I started the bike. I tooke the top end apart and fond out that the rubber roller on the tensioner assembly had deteriorated and broken. So if you can't get it to snug up then something else may be the problem. In your case you may have a Hi-Vo type chain that runs on plastic guides that could be worn out. In either type of system there are plastic components that can fail.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.