Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...

More
05 Mar 2006 05:11 #28328 by Alex_KZ1K
I'm putting everything back together now, and I find I don't have the need for the Clean-Air system hoses anymore. Should I just get rid of all the hoses and block the ports, or do I actually have to open the covers up and do something with the reed valves? I'm lazy, and being able to get away with just blocking the ports would be nice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2006 07:12 #28346 by Scotty355
Replied by Scotty355 on topic Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...
I'm doing the same thing, what I have read here so far is you can just get some rubber caps for the top of the valve cover, and also don't forget to block off the vacuum line that comes from the intake boot.

More
05 Mar 2006 07:41 #28355 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...
I was thinking just connect the two together on top of the valve covers. I got new intake manifolds and they all came with rubber caps, so I'm just going to leave them all on.

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2006 10:19 #28383 by wireman
im working on a gpz1100 head that im thinking about milling and filing the tops off the valve cover and plugging the ports unless i can find a valve cover without the smog ports.looks like i have more milling and filing in my future!:whistle:

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
05 Mar 2006 10:41 #28390 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...
I've been checking into doing the same on Roses' VN750, and have run across some fairly decent mods listed through the VROC site:
VN750 Vulcan Clean Air system removal

You remove the cover and reed valves and replace them with what's refered to as a "coaster". Basically just a piece of aluminum cut to the same dimensions as the original reed valve cover.
There's also some removal/blocking of various air tubes involved also. But this should give a general idea on the basics.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
05 Mar 2006 11:31 #28397 by DanOz7Five0
Replied by DanOz7Five0 on topic Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...
I just ran 5/8" heater hose across them

The cover is different between the non emissions and the emissions covers so just swapping wont do it.

More
05 Mar 2006 14:07 #28447 by loudhvx
The Canadian covers (for the emission years) don't have the ports on top, but they have little tabs that block the ports in the head.

You can just cap off the ports or connect a hose between the two. Remember to block the vacuum lines and the hole in the air box.

More
05 Mar 2006 14:12 #28448 by Alex_KZ1K
Replied by Alex_KZ1K on topic Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...
Mine is Canadian, it has the air injection system...

More
05 Mar 2006 14:49 #28464 by loudhvx
Maybe it was only the 750's that didn't have them.

More
05 Mar 2006 21:57 #28607 by APE Jay

More
19 Mar 2006 01:50 #32435 by elcid
well my question then is why was it put there in the first place? Wasn't it there for a reason to begin with? You guys are saying there is no harm in removing or disabling it? Then what is the benefit in leaving it Any detailed photos of your guys' setup?

Also what is the deal with that weird petcock? No off position but it has a primer position? What do I do if I want to put on a different tank?

Post edited by: elcid, at: 2006/03/19 05:03

More
19 Mar 2006 19:12 #32663 by loudhvx
elcid wrote:

well my question then is why was it put there in the first place? Wasn't it there for a reason to begin with? You guys are saying there is no harm in removing or disabling it? Then what is the benefit in leaving it Any detailed photos of your guys' setup?

Also what is the deal with that weird petcock? No off position but it has a primer position? What do I do if I want to put on a different tank?<br><br>Post edited by: elcid, at: 2006/03/19 05:03

The purpose was to inject clean air into the exhaust so that any unburnt fuel would be burned off before exiting the tail pipe. It doesn't affect the mixture in the engine or performance when working properly. The problem is the vacuum valve breaks and causes headaches. Usually you'll get big backfires through the exhaust when it malfunctions. Getting rid of it just means a little more unburned fuel goes out the tail pipe, but doesn't otherwise affect anything else. Everything related to the system needs to be blocked off. Don't get this system confused with the crankcase breather system. They are not related. The crankcase breather system must stay in place. If you remove the airbox, put a long hose on the crankcase breather and route it to the ground.

The petcock automatically shuts off when the engine stops. In order to get gas to flow with the engine off, you use "prime". Normally the engine will start from fuel in the carbs then the engine vacuum turns on the petcock. If the carbs were drained or dry, then you flip it to prime to get gas into the carbs. Then return it to "on" for normal operation. "Reserve" acts like "on" but gets you that last bit of gas in the tank.