Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...

More
20 Mar 2006 12:43 #32842 by Jack
Alex,sure your bike is Canucklehead? Never seen one with the USA only pollution ports....fwiw. Just find a Canadian casting cover,try Zdeno.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2006 18:09 #32937 by oldkawE
Many years ago my KZ750E started idling poorly and runnning crappy. Everything else seemed ok so I just connected the two ports with one long hose and plugged the port into the airbox and the vacuum line from carbs 1 and 4 (I think) and everything ran as smooth and even as it ever did - never looked back. ;) I also pulled the plugs on the idle mixture screws and set to 3 1/2 turns out. I'm not into smog but find it hard to believe that system ever did much to clean the air.

~~~,
C[_]
1981 KZ750E, about 21K original miles
V&H pipe, Givi Handlebar windscreen,
530 chain and sprockets, Koni shocks, jet kit,
stock air box. US spec bike purchased new in Germany
Ridden many years with Windjammer and
Krauser bags/rack (disintegrated with age - something I'm
trying not to do!)

More
21 Mar 2006 14:17 #33140 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...
Not to hijack this thread, but WHERE is the crankcase breather system that I shouldn't be getting the clean air system confused with?

I remember my KZ400 did not have the "clean air" system and there was a line running from somewhere in the engine (don't remember where) to the airbox.

Now I know my 650 has the clean air system, but I just removed all that crazy stuff and used a little bit of the leftover hose to join the two breather ports together... Long story short there isn't any more line into the airbox anymore.

Is this the wrong idea? Do I need to use a 3 way tee and connect the two ports directly to the airbox?

More
21 Mar 2006 14:25 #33142 by newbikekiller
Replied by newbikekiller on topic Getting rid of the Clean Air injection thing...
Oh I see now. The tube that goes to the TOP of the airbox is all the clean air stuff.

The tube that runs from the BOTTOM of the airbox to the engine is the crankcase breather. Time to go check and see if that tube is there (pretty sure it ain't on my bike).

THE APE setup is nice (or machining your own plates) but I'm pretty sure it's unnecessary if you don't mind the way the tube looks running from one valve cover to the next.

NBK