Got it back from the shop, more needs to be done..

More
27 Mar 2009 10:24 #275819 by meNmyKZ
Ok, well I took my bike (82kz750e) to the shop to have it looked over good. The mechanic said it looked pretty good. He adjusted timing and replaced sprockets. Put new oil and filter in ect. He said it needs the carbs cleaned to run 100%.

Here is my questions, the dang thing is leaking quite a bit of oil. If i can attach pics I will post them. What gasket usually goes bad and leaks oil? Looked like it was coming out of the covered area next to the shifter. is this fairly easy to fix?

Second question, do I have to take the carbs apart to clean them? I would really rather not, since I will just brake them, and its not really worth it to me to pay someone to do it. So, is it worth trying to fix it, or beat it until I brake it, trash it and buy something newer?

I am kinda lost on this whole thing. Not to mention that I just quit smoking and my tolerance level is zero!

NOPE< CAN"T FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2009 10:37 #275824 by KZ700A1
Carbs aren't too bad to clean, but if you really don't want to do it and they're not that dirty you can always try SeaFoam.

1984 KZ700A1
1982 GS550L (the L is for lady!)

Life's a garden.....dig it

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
27 Mar 2009 10:39 #275827 by Mcdroid
Congrats on quiting smoking...it has been 15 years for me. As for the oil leak, you really need to specifically locate it in order to assess what the cost might be and how large a project you are staring at. The carb cleaning is a bit simpler...get some 'Sea Foam' at your auto parts store and run some through the bike (add to fuel)...you just may get lucky and have it clear up some problems...then again, if that doesn't do it, then a disassembly and manual cleaning is in order...you manual should be able to walk you through it, more or less (assuming you have the Kawasaki shop manual for the bike).:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
27 Mar 2009 10:47 #275829 by MFolks
Go to www.z1enterprises.com and look for the gasket/seal for the alternator wiring. If your bike is like the bigger KZ's the seal gets hard and leaks putting oil in the shifting area. If this isn't it, possibly the shifting shaft seal has worn out.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Mar 2009 10:50 #275830 by meNmyKZ
Thanks for the replies. Also thx for the congrat on stopping smoking, this is extremely hard for me, but needs to be done.

I have both a clymers and a kawasaki "shop manual" on PDF. I am kinda scared to take apart the carbs, i really have no clue what I am doing. Do you think its possible for a 50% idiot to rebuild the things with the manuals and not brake the dang carbs? I would love to get this bike running good, and I know its 27 years old and I can't expect much. Just irritaed with it at this point, more so than I should be... did i mention that i am quitting smoking lol

More
27 Mar 2009 10:52 #275832 by meNmyKZ
Thx Mfolks, i will check it out!!!

More
27 Mar 2009 11:05 #275839 by meNmyKZ
I would like to add that I think I would do fine with the actual cleaning of the carbs. Its putting them back together, putting them on the bike and getting them to work that I think would be a severe problem for me. Plus I have noone that can help me or give advice... except you guys, which I 100% appriciate. I am even planning on donating money to this site if possible...

More
27 Mar 2009 11:14 #275842 by BSKZ650
well congrats on the smoking issue,,, and I said it very quite so I dont piss you off,,,lol

if you dont feel that you can work on the carbs yourself, then have someone do the work for you, the bike is worth fixing I would think.

oil leak, all you can do is start taking it apart and see where its leaking from and fix it, shouldnt be that hard, give it a shot

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
27 Mar 2009 13:51 #275867 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Got it back from the shop, more needs to be done..
meNmyKZ wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Also thx for the congrat on stopping smoking, this is extremely hard for me, but needs to be done.

I have both a clymers and a kawasaki "shop manual" on PDF. I am kinda scared to take apart the carbs, i really have no clue what I am doing.

Here is something anybody can do:

1) Take the gas tank off. remove the petcock. Rinse the tankl throughly with either mineral spirits or clean gasoline until it's clean.

2) Take carb cleaner and hose the petcock assy clean.

3) replace the inline fuel filters. If you have no filters, install some.

4) With the tank off, pour some carb cleaner in through the fuel inlet lines until the carbs are full. Plug the inlets and let the carbs soak a few days to dissolve crud.

5) Remove the bowl drain screws to let the cleaner run out. You can also use carb cleaner spray to hose directly into the gas inlet fitting to clean the insides and rinse out crud.

That might get things running right, at least there is no chance of screwing up the carbs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Mar 2009 15:27 #275875 by meNmyKZ
bountyhunter wrote:

meNmyKZ wrote:

I have both a clymers and a kawasaki "shop manual" on PDF. I am kinda scared to take apart the carbs, i really have no clue what I am doing.

Here is something anybody can do:

1) Take the gas tank off. remove the petcock. Rinse the tankl throughly with either mineral spirits or clean gasoline until it's clean.

2) Take carb cleaner and hose the petcock assy clean.

3) replace the inline fuel filters. If you have no filters, install some.

4) With the tank off, pour some carb cleaner in through the fuel inlet lines until the carbs are full. Plug the inlets and let the carbs soak a few days to dissolve crud.

5) Remove the bowl drain screws to let the cleaner run out. You can also use carb cleaner spray to hose directly into the gas inlet fitting to clean the insides and rinse out crud.

That might get things running right, at least there is no chance of screwing up the carbs.

Awesome, thx. Looks simple enough for even me to do. That is my next lil project. I hope it works. I am feeling a bit more calmed down than earlier(quitting smoking) and i have a few more questions.
First, the airbox has been removed and replaced with individual filters. I noticed that the hose going from the top of the cam covers back to the airfilter has been removed. Now it is just one hose connecting both sides of the cam covers together, no breathing at all. Is this bad? Should I replace the airbox like i have been told. I can find that "vaccum" assembly on ebay or anywhere. Not sure if its worth it or causes any problems. Thxxxxxxxx

More
27 Mar 2009 15:40 #275877 by Locozuna
I got to say I'm not too comfortable with carb cleaner sitting in my carbs for a few days. Maybe it's just me.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
27 Mar 2009 17:47 #275896 by hugo
For me the pain is not carb disassembling and cleaning. That's easy. It is dismounting them from the bike and mounting them back the hard part. You, of course, can do it, but if not mechanically inclined, nor feeling confortable, may be good idea letting somebody else do it.