What to look for...(82 KZ750E)

More
13 Mar 2009 09:19 #271590 by meNmyKZ
What to look for...(82 KZ750E) was created by meNmyKZ
Hello everyone, I just purchased a 1982 KZ750e. It has 11000 miles on it, runs great, need some brake work tho. I am just getting back into bikes, last one was a 96 CBR600F3, which I never worked on myself. I bought this bike to do some wrenching on and a bit of customizing, also I didn't want something as fast as a CBR. I tend to get myself into trouble. My main goal is to make this thing reliable. I really don't care much about speed, just reliability. Now for my question. What commonly goes wrong with this model? Is it usually a reliable bike if properly maintained? and what should I start doing to it first to make it more reliable? Also any personal experience or info on this bike would be greatly appriciated. Thanks everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2009 10:36 #271597 by JR
Replied by JR on topic What to look for...(82 KZ750E)
I have mine now for about 6 years. It has 65,000km on it and I have to say it is an amazingly reliable ride.

Routine maintenance is the key. Get a manual which will describe what to do. Usual stuff like check oil and adjust cables, chain etc. Change engine oil regularly, Check valve clearance at 3000?? miles, Clean air filter etc etc. Your manual will guide you.

Having said all that these are old bikes and s*** will happen. Thankfully my issues have been minor. Some wiring problems, a battery which died, a kink in the fuel tubing and dirt in the carbs, a broken clutch cable. All easily fixed and all a satisfying learning experience.

These old bikes are relatively easy to work on - even if a beginner. Be prepared to get you hands dirty as there are not many shops who will work on these.

And last but not least have fun.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
13 Mar 2009 11:01 #271603 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic What to look for...(82 KZ750E)
For electrical maintenance on my old 82 GPZ1100 B2 model I use a brand of electrical contact cleaner made by Caig Labs in San Diego Ca. called De-oxit, their website is www.deoxit.com

It will remove the green crud of corrosion on any electrical contacts, like in switches and the sockets and plugs in the wiring harness. It leaves a preservative film promoting increased electrical contact. It works well on the older glass tubed fuse clips.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Mar 2009 11:18 #271608 by meNmyKZ
Replied by meNmyKZ on topic What to look for...(82 KZ750E)
Thx JR and Mfolks for the encouraging words, advice and such. Waiting for my mailman to bring me my service manual and i can't wait to start wrenching and riding... almost warm enough