Teardown

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You keep for your collection, I know you like it.
More
13 Mar 2009 04:44 #271545 by DaytonaMC
Teardown was created by DaytonaMC
I have a 1977 KZ1000 and, I wanted to go through the motor and, trans to see how everything looks and, also change leaky gaskets. I was wondering if there is anything I should look for or do while I have it apart. I was planning on changing bearings, lapping valves and, possibly going with a 1075 kit. I was also wanting to get a little bit hotter cam but, am not completely sure where to go for that, If anyone has any hotter than stock cams, let me know. I was also going to replace the cam chain(heard that would be a good idea to get something a bit stronger.) and, maybe weld the crank. I have been in the motor before but, I was wondering if the more knowledgeable people could give me a heads up of things to look for so, I can replace everything that needs to be replaced. I am also open for suggestions for performance mods.I was also wondering should I replace my oil pump with an updated one? Thanks

I must remove my skin.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2009 20:06 #271737 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Teardown
i have a 1075 kit with .395 web cams and 29 smoothbore carbs every time i have any of my motors down to bare bones they get a new cam chain a one piece one none of the master link type don't trust them never will. don't worry about the oil pump just pull it apart and look for major scoring if it is good put it back together and reuse it these engines are roller bearing so they run very low oil pressures in fact so low that you would need a special gauge just to read them properly. if you are in to performance definitly get the crank welded and trued while it is out with the bigger cams i would be a good idea to get some port work done at the same time as well as heavier valve springs and don't fool around lapping the valves get a real valve job done all you do is wear out the valves by lapping them and making the seats wider then needed. put a good ignition on it while your at it . good luck and e-mail me if you have any questions

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
13 Mar 2009 20:16 #271744 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Teardown
The oil pressure can be 2.8 to 3 PSI when the engine is at operating temp.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Mar 2009 17:36 #272215 by DaytonaMC
Replied by DaytonaMC on topic Teardown
thanks timebomb for all your advice. I am trying to figure out what I can do for good streetable power and, i would like to work with high performance motors so,what better way to learn. I was also wondering about any useful information sources that could help with this endevour. Also if I am going to do all this work where do I find my cams and, cam chain and, all that?

More
15 Mar 2009 18:51 - 15 Mar 2009 18:53 #272240 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Teardown
web cams or go to ape they can set you up with every thing you could ever need they might be a bit busy right now with racing season just about to go into full swing but they will be able toget and advise you of every thing your gonna need.ape has complete top end kits that will save you a bunch of cash in the long run and they know what will work for you so check them out.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE
Last edit: 15 Mar 2009 18:53 by timebomb33.

More
15 Mar 2009 19:47 #272252 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Teardown
Just my 2cents, A 30 year old pressed crank should be acessed by some one with the equipment and experiance to proprly determine it's cond.regardless of your' future desires,this is the base. to have it sent out and checked without welding, silly. cyl bores,it costs as much to replace w/stock as to big bore w/out sleeves. why not step up? unless building a monster, and playing the game a 1075 should last it's lifetime. camchain and chicklets/tesnioner blade, definitly. bearing rollers, you must be the judge. at @ $100.00+ a pop for a idler which lives in an oil rich envirnment and has a low load tis hard to justify. i love my Zed. hope you feel same. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
16 Mar 2009 01:37 #272276 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Teardown
Another bit of cheap insurance is to use the ape studs and have the crank cap machined and get the plate for it. All those parts can be found at the APE site. Build the bottom end strong and when you get bored with the 1075 kit you can step up without a total tear down and rebuild.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Mar 2009 04:55 - 16 Mar 2009 04:58 #272303 by DaytonaMC
Replied by DaytonaMC on topic Teardown
gane wrote:

Just my 2cents, A 30 year old pressed crank should be acessed by some one with the equipment and experiance to proprly determine it's cond.regardless of your' future desires,this is the base. to have it sent out and checked without welding, silly. cyl bores,it costs as much to replace w/stock as to big bore w/out sleeves. why not step up? unless building a monster, and playing the game a 1075 should last it's lifetime. camchain and chicklets/tesnioner blade, definitly. bearing rollers, you must be the judge. at @ $100.00+ a pop for a idler which lives in an oil rich envirnment and has a low load tis hard to justify. i love my Zed. hope you feel same. G

Definitely, I was planning on sending the crank out to be true and, welded as well as having the overall condition checked however I have done quite a few motor tear downs and, rebuilds so, I am pretty sue I should be OK for he most part. I appreciate your input and yes, I do love my Zed more than a fat kid loves cake.

Last edit: 16 Mar 2009 04:58 by DaytonaMC.

More
16 Mar 2009 12:13 #272408 by Captaingamez
Replied by Captaingamez on topic Teardown
timebomb33 wrote:

i have a 1075 kit with .395 web cams and 29 smoothbore carbs every time i have any of my motors down to bare bones they get a new cam chain a one piece one none of the master link type don't trust them never will. don't worry about the oil pump just pull it apart and look for major scoring if it is good put it back together and reuse it these engines are roller bearing so they run very low oil pressures in fact so low that you would need a special gauge just to read them properly. if you are in to performance definitly get the crank welded and trued while it is out with the bigger cams i would be a good idea to get some port work done at the same time as well as heavier valve springs and don't fool around lapping the valves get a real valve job done all you do is wear out the valves by lapping them and making the seats wider then needed. put a good ignition on it while your at it . good luck and e-mail me if you have any questions

Why not lap the valves? The KZ guy i know, Ed Allendorf swears by lapping them.

1979 Kz1000 MKII road racer project
1994 Seca II, pile in the corner
1973 Honda cb175 cafe racer
1971 Yamaha AT1
1975 Massey Fergusson MF440
1971 Skiroule 300rr