79 Kz1000st shaft drive moly lube requirements

More
10 Mar 2009 02:27 #270853 by steveskz
What areas of the shaft drive need molybdenum disulphide grease?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2009 07:49 #270903 by zoro
steveskz wrote:

What areas of the shaft drive need molybdenum disulphide grease?

Molybdenum Disufide is an assembly lubricating compound.It provides superior protection against metal to metal contact untill motor oil(front bevel assembly)takes over the lubrication of moving parts within the crankcase and transmission including the front bevel assembly.Molybdenum disulfide is only called for in reassembly of the front bevel gear at the output shaft and cluch pushrod shaft.The rear bevel assembly is lubricated by the hypoid gear oil.The slip joint and drive splines call for a "high temp" grease,(big differance).I use a "waterproof,hightemp"formula in the wheel bearings,steering stem,etc.Molybdenum disulfide is not called for,nor should it be used in any application other than initial protection in reassembly of engine and transmission,componants.

GHOSTRIDER,1980,KZ1000ST

More
12 Mar 2009 10:43 #271368 by TexasKZ
If you have a Honda dealer nearby, you might want to try the spline lube Honda markets. I used it on my Concours and it seemd to stick well and last long. I cleaned and lubed the splines every time I replaced the rear tire and they always looked good with no signs of wear in more than 60,000 miles.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
14 Mar 2009 18:29 #271947 by steveskz
Replied by steveskz on topic 79 Kz1000st shaft drive moly lube requirements
I went to the local Honda dealer and picked up moly 60 and Bel ray water proof grease.