Changed Oil Pan Gasket and first valve adjustment

More
08 Mar 2009 15:59 #270428 by bLodi
It was 65 here in Michigan the other day so I decided to take advantage of the warm weather and change my leaky oil pan gasket and do a valve adjustment since I am fairly certain my bike has never had one.
I pulled the oil pan and was shocked by what I found...I attached pics....Lots of metal! A couple summers ago I drained the oil and found parts of my front chain tensioner in the drained oil. So that led me to pulling my cylinders, putting in a new chain tensioner, rehoning the cylinders and new rings on the pistons. I never did pull the pan...should have...but the bike has always run great. So I am figuring the metal in the pan is left over from whenever the chain tensioner let go...probably in the 80s for all I know.
Anyways, I cleaned the pan, put a new gasket on and put everything back together, I looked up in the engine/trans and everything looked nice and clean. I guess its a testament to how tough these engines are to have that much crap in the oil pan and nothing ever happened. Or I am just lucky.
Then on to the valve adjustment. My first time ever doing it and my first time ever adjust valves on something that used shims. I ordered a shim tool and assorted shims online. 7 of the 8 valves were out of spec...all too tight...so much so that my smallest feeler gauge wouldn't even fit.
But was happy to get it all done. Took about 8 hours in all taking my time. Took it out for its first spin of the year afterward. No leaks! and I can tell the compression is up from the valve adjustment. Its hard to kick over now and engine braking is more significant...and while its been a few months since I had ridden it...it seems to certainly have more power...
Looking forward to putting some miles on it this summer!

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
V&H 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Dyna Ignition, Dyna Coils, Dyna Wires, lowering kit...much more.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
08 Mar 2009 16:07 - 08 Mar 2009 16:10 #270432 by H2RICK
Wow!!! That is some SERIOUSLY ugly sludge and bits in that sump !!! Yep, you are lucky that that stuff didn't get sucked up by the pump and ruin your nicely overhauled engine.
How was your sump screen ??? Clean....grunged up....what ??
I wonder what your oil pump internal tolerances are like after surviving all that swarf from the destroyed tensioner, etc.
BTW, don't be alarmed about finding tight valves. These air cooled 8 valve Kawi engines are notorious for experiencing valve/valve seat recession, especially on the intakes. It's just something you have to be aware of and have to keep on top of with the adjustmnents/shimming.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2009 16:10 by H2RICK.

More
08 Mar 2009 16:08 #270433 by MFolks
It's a wonderful feeling when you start the bike after maintenance like this and everything works and no extra parts are found! Or funny ($$$$$$$$$) sounds.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 Mar 2009 16:11 #270434 by bLodi
H2RICK wrote:

Wow!!! That is some SERIOUSLY ugly sludge and bits in that sump !!! Yep, you are lucky that that stuff didn't get sucked up by the pump and ruin your nicely overhauled engine.
How was your sump screen ??? Clean....grunged up....what ??
I wonder what your oil pump internal tolerances are like after surviving all that swarf from the destroyed tensioner, etc.

Ugly is certainly the word for it! My screen looked good; in tact and free of debris.

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
V&H 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Dyna Ignition, Dyna Coils, Dyna Wires, lowering kit...much more.

More
08 Mar 2009 17:40 #270454 by PLUMMEN
:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2009 00:35 #270526 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Changed Oil Pan Gasket and first valve adjustme
That is ugggggly! But these old kawi's run on sand and cat piss.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
09 Mar 2009 14:18 #270640 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Changed Oil Pan Gasket and first valve adjustment
Gravity saves you in that case. Every old oil pan has a layer of sticky sediment at the bottom from particulate matter settling down there. The shavings sank down and were also trapped, like those dumb dinosaurs at the tar pits.

1979 KZ-750 Twin