• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Feb 2009 20:38 #267932 by trianglelaguna
kz-900 engine assembly ???? was created by trianglelaguna
hey guys...
i got my cylinders honed this afternoon..thanks for all the help on that one.....
i got my new cam roller in the cases..thanks keith1 on the tips from your build..
I have my cyl...ready to slide down and got frustrated trying the two tiny flatheads to get my two center pistons in first....i'm gonna cut two exact hardwood spacers instead of hammer handles to hold the pistons skirts from moving tomorrow

I'm a veg at this point ....BUT...i can remember one question i had come up with....the orange rubber band looking o-rings that go under the cylinder block over each jugs skirt..(i have new ones).do they have to get slid down in the aluminum groove around where the iron skirt comes out the bottom of the block...or do they just sit snug on the base of each skirt and get pressed in some when i tork the head....thanks in advance for any help...

p.s...this will be my thread for putting the fire damaged z-1 motor rebuild together from now one and i WILL!!!have some more questions....helpppppppppp...thanks again

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2009 21:11 #267940 by gane
Replied by gane on topic kz-900 engine assembly ????
T, those orings are there to keep oil from climbing up past the liners. on stock barrels the recess is usually deep enough to at least suggest they'll stay. on others it's just a suggjestion.and are usually kept from drooping by the base gasket. If you look, (at stock bits) there's @ 3-4 mm clearance between cases and liners when in place. I've pulled a few barrels where they had escaped and were hanging. cyls which have O/S liners are seldom cut, Juris-prudence, when I can't get 'em to stay put, I leave them out. any oil which might make it to the top of linerwill be stopped by either the top lip of liner or head gasket, and is preferible to having rubber bits circulating w/oil. just my opinion, G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Feb 2009 21:33 #267947 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic kz-900 engine assembly ????
gane wrote:

T, those orings are there to keep oil from climbing up past the liners. on stock barrels the recess is usually deep enough to at least suggest they'll stay. on others it's just a suggjestion.and are usually kept from drooping by the base gasket. If you look, (at stock bits) there's @ 3-4 mm clearance between cases and liners when in place. I've pulled a few barrels where they had escaped and were hanging. cyls which have O/S liners are seldom cut, Juris-prudence, when I can't get 'em to stay put, I leave them out. any oil which might make it to the top of linerwill be stopped by either the top lip of liner or head gasket, and is preferible to having rubber bits circulating w/oil. just my opinion, G

okay got it they can be wedged in with a small flathead but not real pro lookig i'm gonna snug em and tap-tap a lttle and ge with it...should my chicklets in the center roller be up a lttle from fush and get squished as i assemble...yes i'm pretty sure....thanks gane...you would think a shop manual would show a photo of thos o-rings in place.:side:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
24 Feb 2009 23:02 #267959 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic kz-900 engine assembly ????
You need one of these-

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Feb 2009 04:47 #267979 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic kz-900 engine assembly ????
I don't see any mention of piston ring orientations here!!!!!

Also, lube your pistons and rings with some oil....

If you have the ring compressor such as Don's... (How did you come by that, sweet) but don't sweat it, it can be accomplished with out it... Just take your time, be patient and you will be able to do it as well.

How I did mine is a follows.
It's easier to start the rings on a set of two pistons first versus all 4... With that said, rotate the crankshaft where pistons 1 & 4 are at their highest point and place the cylinder just over the top two rings of each piston (1&4).

With your fingers, compress the top rings one at a time and slowly start lowering your cylinder... Repeat for the next set of rings... TAKE YOUR TIME for your not in a pit crew where time is crucial...

There will come a point where you have to turn the crank SLOWLY and raise pistons 2 & 3 into the bottom cylinder sleeves. Repeat the process...

Same time, after accomplishing this a few times, I found where I could place all 4 cylinders equal in height, place the cylinder in position and slowly start compressing rings one at a time thus lowering the cylinder over the ring sets...

The choice of how you accomplish is whatever works best for you...

Good luck big man....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
25 Feb 2009 07:13 #268009 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz-900 engine assembly ????
As far as the orange rings... I suggest that if you use a block later than 78 (1015cc), they stopped using the rings and there is no groove around the liner edge for the rings. Installing one of these blocks on a 903cc set of cases requires some clean out of material for space. An air die grinder works well. Use a bunch of rags to keep material from dropping into the cases.

The Clymers manual available for download at our Vintage Bike Tech forum linked off our website has a description for fabricating piston rod holders out of wood to keep the 2&3 rods from moving all over as you fit the block over the rings.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Feb 2009 08:33 #268017 by EricHa
Replied by EricHa on topic kz-900 engine assembly ????
George, I don't see anything in the Downloads section. Is that where it is located.

1977 Kawasaki KZ900A5
1975 Honda CB550K
1996 Ducati 900SS CR

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Feb 2009 08:45 #268019 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic kz-900 engine assembly ????
thanks guys...the block is a 903cc and it has been fitted with wiseco 71mm pistons..there is a groove for the o-rings...i'll check on the block making info...got a little work...so may not get back to it till this weekend...thanks again...craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife