Clutch Cable

More
10 Feb 2009 18:48 #263661 by poolboy
Clutch Cable was created by poolboy
Hi fellows,

I have a 1980 KZ-750 4.
While waiting for Carbs from WG.

I decided to replace Throttle Cable and Clutch Cable.

The Haynes manual that came with the bike shows very little to nothing about Cables, and I know I need a factory Manual, its on the list.

Throttle Cable was easy enough.

The Clutch Cable, the upper part that goes into the hand control is easy enough, the bottom part that hooks underneath the bike is hard to see.

Maybe someone could say a few words on hooking up the bottom half of the Cable, or maybe a picture showing that area. Just don''t want to flub something up.

:cheer:

1980 KZ750H ,WG's carb rebuild, V&H 4-1 Exh ,WG wiremod, Dyna 3.0 ohm coils, Dyna-S EI DS2-2,New Bridgestones, O-ring Chain,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2009 19:22 #263664 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Clutch Cable
On my 82 GPZ1100 I have to remove the cover for the engine sprocket. The clutch mechanism is inside the cover and will need a new small cotter pin to secure the clutch cable from coming loose from the holder.

After the cable is re-installed, the clutch will need adjustment to work properly. There should be a slack adjuster mid way down the lenght of the cable. I like to collapse the cable as short as possible and then adjust the operation of the mechanism allowing smooth clutch operation.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
10 Feb 2009 19:39 #263669 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Clutch Cable
yeah...what he said ...the only thing i'd add is to use a ten mm socket and take the bolt all the way out of your shift lever...then use a big flat head screwdriver or claw hammer to gently apply back pry to the shifter while you wiggle it off the spline then use the socket (unless you have allen screws)to take the cover off...go easy and you should be o.k.....you can switch the cable the way MFolks said...and then once the cable is cotter pinned in the sprockett cover ...install it in reverse of removal..... tap the shifter on last and try and remember where it was pointed..this is also a good time to lower it or raise it a notch on the shift spline to better fit your foot size/location when on pegs and shifting......when you do get your"shop manual" check for clutch push rod/actuator/ adjustment/procedure...thats the little access cover on your cover you'll have off...do that soon and get used to the order of taking up adjustment there first and working your way thru the cable with the final small step being at the hand lever....good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
10 Feb 2009 20:06 #263676 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch Cable
I would wait until I got the factory service manual because you're going to need to adjust the clutch and you'll need to do it correctly. Besides, you're not going to be able to use the bike until the carbs come back (so why hurry), and you should have the manual to put things back together. Have you found a FSM at a decent price? There are a couple on eBay. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
10 Feb 2009 21:15 #263693 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Clutch Cable
++ All the above PLUS.....I'd disassemble the release mechanism, thoroughly clean it in solvent, check for beat up balls/ramps etc, grease the heck outta everything and then reassemble it. I'd also lube the new cable while you can.
You'll be AMAZED:woohoo: at how light the clutch pull becomes after this "tuneup".:cheer: B)

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
10 Feb 2009 21:37 #263697 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Clutch Cable
H2RICK wrote:

++ All the above PLUS.....I'd disassemble the release mechanism, thoroughly clean it in solvent, check for beat up balls/ramps etc, grease the heck outta everything and then reassemble it. I'd also lube the new cable while you can.
You'll be AMAZED:woohoo: at how light the clutch pull becomes after this "tuneup".:cheer: B)

Plus one!B)
BIG difference,if it hasn't been done in a while.:woohoo:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
10 Feb 2009 22:00 #263708 by poolboy
Replied by poolboy on topic Clutch Cable
Thanks fellows for the info.

Hands down this forum is the greatest.

650ed I'll check out EBay, Thanks:cheer:

1980 KZ750H ,WG's carb rebuild, V&H 4-1 Exh ,WG wiremod, Dyna 3.0 ohm coils, Dyna-S EI DS2-2,New Bridgestones, O-ring Chain,

More
11 Feb 2009 16:59 #263885 by poolboy
Replied by poolboy on topic Clutch Cable
I took the piece off today, it was'nt hard at all. I thought that cover was part of the engine, but it was'nt, thats why I was a little nervous about it.
Anyway its really dirty. I'll bet it has'nt been cleaned in years. I have bid on a factory manual at ebay. By the time I get everything cleaned the manual will be here and I can adjust the clutch by the factory manual.
Kinda hard for a guy thats 69 years young to get down that low to the ground but I did it. Thanks again Sandy, H2RICK, 650ed, trianglelaguna, & MFolks.............:woohoo:

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
11 Feb 2009 17:16 - 11 Feb 2009 17:18 #263887 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Clutch Cable
Before installing the new cables, grab a ziplock bag, punch the end of the cable through the bottom of the bag and secure it with a zip tie or rubber band. Then pour your lube of choice into the ziplock back and hang it up so that the lube with work its way through the cable.

People will recommend lots of stuff from motor oil to silicone lube. Use what you like as long as it is NOT a penetrant like WD-40. Personally, I like the silicone lube.

I happen to have my cover off right now. I'll snap a couple photos when I get home.

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE
Last edit: 11 Feb 2009 17:18 by l0g1c.

More
11 Feb 2009 19:26 #263931 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch Cable
l0g1c: Good point, that's exactly how I lube my cables. I use synthetic motor oil (Mobile-1) and let it hang overnight, but I'm sure any quality lubricant will work. If you do this with the cables on the bike, by sure to put a little pan, papertowels, or rags under the the lower cable ends because the lube WILL work its way through.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Feb 2009 19:53 #263936 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Clutch Cable
All that plus, once you've got every thing sorted, zip-tie cable to frame so's cable is as far away from exhaust as possible. stock cable has a spring/wire which prevents contact w/headers.Yet the most common cl.cable failure is due to melted housing. a new set-up,is almost un-natural in ease and feel. If stock. route accordingly, if not, big loops are better, even if they obscure guages. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
11 Feb 2009 20:20 - 11 Feb 2009 20:21 #263945 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch Cable
Cable clip from Z1E :cheer:

;) also consider

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Feb 2009 20:21 by Patton.