Deck Height

More
10 Feb 2009 15:05 #263597 by dshelly
Deck Height was created by dshelly
A couple weeks ago I wrote in that I had Low compression in my '77 1000. Since then I did a leak down test and found that the head gasket was leaking and also 1 exhaust valve in #3.
I was asked about cam timing, which was dead on. Also was asked about the deck height. Which I did not know the answer to at the time.
Now I have the engine on the stand tore down and can say that the deck height measures .015 across all cylinders.

So My question is. Is this good or bad? Oh,by the way ,my pistons are stock 70mm wiseco 10.25:1 if that matters.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2009 15:29 #263602 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic Deck Height
So if I understand you, the pistons are .015 down in the sleeve?

If this is right then you can install a thinner base gasket (up to .015 thinner) or have your head milled .015 to bring your pistons to .000 (zero) deck height. You can run the pistons out of the hole by a few thousands but don't do it unless you've checked all of your valve to pistons clearances and piston to top of combustion chamber clearances.

Milling your head or installing a thinner base gasket will increase your cranking pressure and compression and fixing the valve in #3 will help overall engine performance.

Good luck,
Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
10 Feb 2009 22:33 #263713 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Deck Height
Milling the head will bring the chamber closer to the piston but wouldn't the distance from the piston to the block deck remain the same? And what is the deck height supposed to be with those pistons anyone?

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
10 Feb 2009 23:35 #263727 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Deck Height
Here is some suggested reading.
We had a thread a few weeks ago titled "piston to head clearance" serval people gave their ideas of the pros & cons. If you can't find that thread, click on my screen name and it is page 9? of my posts. Maybe it will be helpful. It's just a suggestion.

More
11 Feb 2009 02:56 #263749 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Deck Height
milling the head doesnt affect deck height or quench height(squish) just PTV and cam timing. running a thinner base gasket will affect cam timing aswell. deck height doesnt really matter as long as squish is ok. running thinner or thicker headgaskets or milling the block or head will affect squish. measure what you have, if its too much, run a thinner base gasket or headgasket or mill the block. once that is fine if compression is still low mill the head. make sure you check cam timing, you will need a degree wheel to do it properly

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
11 Feb 2009 05:26 #263758 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Deck Height
Unless you are planning on doing some racing, there really is not a need to run a zero clearance on the deck.
The main thing to check, is the deck flat and is the head flat, if not then get them milled.
Since you said you have a valve leaking, a valve job for the entire head should be done along with a bench shim.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
11 Feb 2009 05:37 #263762 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic Deck Height
I Think I'll just leave the deck height alone. No need for any extra machine work. Sounds like a valve job should fix the problem. I just want a good streetable engine. Thanks for the input everyone.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

More
11 Feb 2009 13:47 #263858 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic Deck Height
nads.com,

Of course you're right. What I meant to say was either reduce the thickness of the base gasket or mill the cylinder block.

I would still replace the cylinder base gasket (either with a like or thinner gasket) since the head is already off the bike and the seal between the base gasket and the engine block is probably already jeapordized.

Good luck,

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 Feb 2009 08:10 #264134 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Deck Height
dshelly wrote:

I Think I'll just leave the deck height alone. No need for any extra machine work. Sounds like a valve job should fix the problem. I just want a good streetable engine. Thanks for the input everyone.

I agree with u here. no need to get fancy .

the only reason u would mill the cyl or head would be to true them or increase compresion or (Cyl only) to improve squish clearance. lower squish clearance improves the burn in the cyl, allowing for more compresion.
If u start to play with this stuf u need a good knowledge of the pros and CONS. u can do serious damage if u make a mistake.

how did u measure the .015" ? did u have the base gasket installed? did u torque the cyl's down using a spacer?
Do u have a history with this bike? is the cly and head stock or have they ever been milled?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)