stuck clutch plate

More
09 Feb 2009 01:38 #263210 by OldHippie
stuck clutch plate was created by OldHippie
Hi. I have a kz1000 P-19. I had put on a new clutch cable, but had adjusted the set screw too far, and "over ramped"(?) the comp clutch. I put everything back the way I started, without over adjusting anything this time. i started the bike and it wanted to lurch forward and when I dropped it into to first, it sifted hard, I released the clutch but no go.

I took everything back off, including comp clutch assembly and began from new. Same thing happened, no go in 1st or any gear.

Is this a stuck clutch plate? If so, how do i fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

There is power in words...just don't put too many together.
my ride: KZ1000P19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2009 19:27 #263932 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic stuck clutch plate
What do you mean by "comp clutch"?

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
12 Feb 2009 02:06 #264066 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic stuck clutch plate
"Over ramped"?? You mean you pulled the 3 amigos ie. balls out of their grooves. This can only be fixed by loosening the 4 bolts holding the sprocket cover. No matter what you do with adjustments clutch is jammed open and loosening the cover will ease the pressure an allow balls to draw back into grooves. Hope you get what I mean:P

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 Feb 2009 07:44 #264124 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic stuck clutch plate
did u put the ball bearing back in at the end of the clutch rod?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
12 Feb 2009 10:20 #264154 by OldHippie
Replied by OldHippie on topic stuck clutch plate
According to the diagrams I have looked at for my ride(kz1000 P-19) the push rod has a washer and nut at the end, if a ball-bearing is needed then what size should it be?

There is power in words...just don't put too many together.
my ride: KZ1000P19
Attachments:

More
12 Feb 2009 11:11 #264163 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic stuck clutch plate
It looks like they quit using the ball bearing they used back in the 70s design. You probably have 2 possibility, one being the release mech is adjusted all wrong, or two being the plates are stuck together. This only happens if the engine has been sitting idle for a long time. Plates are either stuck or free, so if the clutch is somewhat disengaging at all it's not the plates. I always advise not to fool with the adjustment at the clutch mech on the engine because it's usually not necessary and easy to get all fouled up even following the instructions which are usually wrong in the first place, but I'm in the minority there.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
12 Feb 2009 11:34 #264172 by jimmybon
Replied by jimmybon on topic stuck clutch plate
I had a stuck clutch recently from the bike sitting for a while, I put it in 3rd gear and rolled the bike forward with the clutch lever in, clutch released

74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

More
12 Feb 2009 14:11 #264248 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic stuck clutch plate
OldHippie wrote:

Hi. I have a kz1000 P-19. I had put on a new clutch cable, but had adjusted the set screw too far, and "over ramped"(?) the comp clutch. I put everything back the way I started, without over adjusting anything this time. i started the bike and it wanted to lurch forward and when I dropped it into to first, it sifted hard, I released the clutch but no go.

I took everything back off, including comp clutch assembly and began from new. Same thing happened, no go in 1st or any gear.

Is this a stuck clutch plate? If so, how do i fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated greatly.

:unsure: "Comp" meaning "competition" or "complete" or something else, or does it matter? :huh:

Am thinking it's not unusual for a KZ after cold starting to lurch forward upon initial shifting from neutral into first gear.

When squeezing the handlebar clutch lever, the normal resistance should be observed as usually attributed to disengaging the clutch (spreading the plates against the springs). In this case, is the lever easily greeting the handlebar like nothing's going on down there? :(

Just guessing at this point, but sounds as if the lurch forward is normal, and the screw still mal-adjusted without the necessary gap between it and the clutch push rod. Lack of necessary gap doesn't prevent the expected initial lurch. In other words, after the initial cold start lurch, the clutch cannot engage due to the mal-adjusted screw.

When the engine isn't running, it usually won't shift out of neutral unless the rear wheel is rotated as if rolling forward (typical situation with bike on centerstand).

With engine running, it should shift through all gears with clutch fully engaged and without squeezing the handlebar lever (or without any clutch cable whatever).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 Feb 2009 14:25 - 12 Feb 2009 14:28 #264253 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic stuck clutch plate
OldHippie wrote:

According to the diagrams I have looked at for my ride(kz1000 P-19) the push rod has a washer and nut at the end, if a ball-bearing is needed then what size should it be?

Sorry i see there is no ball in the J motor just the kz,z1.
Chech that #13102 lever is installed correctly.
If u drain the oil u could remove the clutch cover on the right side.then u could see if the clutch is moving in and out as u pull the lever in and out.U may need a new gasket though.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 12 Feb 2009 14:28 by mark1122.

More
13 Feb 2009 03:16 #264595 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic stuck clutch plate
OldHippie wrote:

You may be looking at the wrong end of release mechanism. The push rod (part # 13116) probably has nothing to do with your problem.

1) If it was stuck plates it would definately go if you kick it on #1 gear. And with a very noticeable noice. So I doubt it´s stuck plates. Beleive me, you´ll notice if the plates are stuck and you kick it in gear...

2) After "over ramping" did you open the sprocket cover?????? This is the only way to ease the pressure on release assy (parts nr 13119, 14020, 13102) Part #14020 icludes 3 ball bearings which are moved up and down the ramps in part #13119. Too much play / too long pull will raise the balls on flat surface and the spring in clutch cable isn´t strong enough to pull them back down. To pull them back ease the 4 bolt holding the sprocket cover and you´ll probably can hear a "clunck" when the assy is pulled back.

People seem to be referring to the "worm-gear" clutch assy which is totally different that J-engines assy. And if the plates are stuck it won´t just "lurch" forward....

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...