Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings

More
07 Feb 2009 15:40 #262761 by chelms27
Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings was created by chelms27
Just a couple of quick questions I have. Any help would be great. I took my oil cooler off because I am trying to keep my bike stock and I dont ride in real warm weather or for long trips. I do have a couple of questions. There are tubes threaded into my block area under the carbs where the oil cooler lines ran and I think I can just put plugs in them? I just dont want to have oiling issues. Sound ok? Also I am changing my valve cover gasket and cant find torque settings for the bolts. 10-15in lb I would guess? Thanks

1977 KZ1000...16k miles 2nd owner all original except tires, dyna-coil, and a vance and hines 4 to 1 exhaust.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2009 15:48 #262763 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings
10-15in lb no more, they will strip out very easily. Be careful!

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
07 Feb 2009 15:55 #262765 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings
Do your fittings look similar to these. There should be 2 bolts per fitting to remove them. I have a couple of the factory fittings that is a one piece unit if you are interested.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2009 16:48 #262774 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings
I could use an oil cooler, my bike gets rode hard in hot weather for long periods.

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

More
07 Feb 2009 17:12 #262781 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings
The website www.holley.com/division/Earls.asp has cooler,fittings and hoses to fit almost any vehicle.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Feb 2009 18:11 #262786 by chelms27
Replied by chelms27 on topic Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings
My cooler lines look just like those and I was going to put plugs in them since I am no longer using a cooler. 12 lbs for valve cover then?

1977 KZ1000...16k miles 2nd owner all original except tires, dyna-coil, and a vance and hines 4 to 1 exhaust.

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
07 Feb 2009 19:05 #262802 by Kawickrice
If you plug the holes you will lose your sending unit, and that would not be smart in my opinion. At the very least put the factory fitting with the sending unit on, then you would have the idiot light operational in case you lose oil pressure. Just my 2 cents.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
08 Feb 2009 08:01 - 08 Feb 2009 08:03 #262892 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Oil cooler plugs/Torque settings
SANITY ALERT! YOU CAN NOT PLUG THE HOLES... REPEAT - YOU CAN NOT NOT NOT PLUG THE HOLES. Run a piece of oil hose between the fittings. Oil is pumped through the screen on your oil filter from the sump up through the oil pump where it goes across via a lateral hole in the place where your oil filter is. The oil goes through the filter and up through that tube the filter mounts on and up into the lower fitting where the oil pressure switch is located. From there is goes via a long hose to your cooler and comes back via another long hose to the upper fitting. The upper fitting hits the main oil gallery which has three sets of oil journals: cams, gears and crank. IF you put plugs in the lower and upper oil pipe fittings and join the two fittings, the pressurized oil from the pump going through the filter will hit the switch and have NO WHERE TO GO. You will blow out the oring on the big round thing that holds your oil filter in place.

Only an idiot would do this... hehehe Trust me, I know the idiot well. Your bike will also get NO OIL while you do this as you won't hit the bypass circuit if you plug those fittings. Get a stock oil pipe which you will notice has a cross passageway between the two main parts.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 08 Feb 2009 08:03 by wiredgeorge.

More
08 Feb 2009 08:08 #262898 by wiredgeorge
Kawickrice wrote:

If you plug the holes you will lose your sending unit, and that would not be smart in my opinion. At the very least put the factory fitting with the sending unit on, then you would have the idiot light operational in case you lose oil pressure. Just my 2 cents.

The sending unit works great when the oil cooler type fittings are plugged... just no oil gets PAST the sending unit to the main oil galley.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
08 Feb 2009 08:12 #262903 by Kawickrice
Bullitt03737 wrote:

I could use an oil cooler, my bike gets rode hard in hot weather for long periods.

oldkawman.com has an article on modifying the stock oilpipe to use for an oil cooler.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
08 Feb 2009 08:16 #262907 by Kawickrice
wiredgeorge wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

The sending unit works great when the oil cooler type fittings are plugged... just no oil gets PAST the sending unit to the main oil galley.

with that being said, the light would come on just before the grenade effect.:(

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
08 Feb 2009 14:26 #262981 by wiredgeorge
Well, the oring on the oil filter round part that keeps the filter in place will blow oil out very briskly. You won't notice the light that much if it happens when riding. I suspect dumping oil right in front of your rear tire in larger quantities will cause you to wreck long before the engine blows... kind of gives you a headache to think about. As far as modifying a stock oil pipe, you will have to drill/tap the bottom part and the top and put in fittings for oil line and plug the shaft that goes between the two halves. Not work the effort as it isn't hard to get proper two-piece sets for the oil filter, if needed.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!