Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline

More
04 Feb 2009 11:48 #262172 by Spot
I've seen some awesome mods here that I'm considering. But I don't want to buy my gas at the airport. Does anyone know what the compression ratios are that make upgrading to premium or avgas necessary?

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2009 12:25 #262175 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
IMO, anything in the 10:1 area may require premium fuel, the octane rating of gas has come down over the years.
What are you wanting to build would be the first question?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Feb 2009 14:05 - 04 Feb 2009 14:06 #262188 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
Most of the pistons come in 10.25:1. This is fine for premium pump gas.
12:1 is only acceptable on a new bike with a down draft,4 valve, water cooled head.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 14:06 by mark1122.

More
04 Feb 2009 14:06 #262189 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
There is an actual octane booster (with lead) still available that can boost octane anywhere from two to six points if you are set on building a screamer. It's called Octane Supreme 130. The stuff available in auto stores will only raise the octane about 1/2 point.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Feb 2009 14:56 #262200 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
Dont use this CRAP, it dosent mix even with the gas, I know first had what will happen, its called a hole in the piston!!!

bountyhunter wrote:

There is an actual octane booster (with lead) still available that can boost octane anywhere from two to six points if you are set on building a screamer. It's called Octane Supreme 130. The stuff available in auto stores will only raise the octane about 1/2 point.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Feb 2009 17:56 #262247 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
also depends on your cams and cam timing and other variables,numbers like 10.25:1 and 13:1 are just there to set the hook in your mouth like a fish!:laugh: if you just want to go by that id say 9:1 would be just about right for a good pump gas motor B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
04 Feb 2009 19:56 #262263 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
Yeah, hard to say...

I say do whatever you want to your bike :P . Someone will usually have an idea of what octane is necessary for whatever mod.
You can start at a suggested octane level, then slowly go down ratings till you start to get knock under hard/uphill accel. then just stick one level above that.

I know a few guys that have had success with this method.

Cheers.

:blink:

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
04 Feb 2009 22:27 - 04 Feb 2009 22:33 #262274 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
BSKZ650 wrote:

Dont use this CRAP, it dosent mix even with the gas, I know first had what will happen, its called a hole in the piston!!!

bountyhunter wrote:

It mixes with my gas. never had a problem, been using it two years.

These guys also recommend it:

www.nowearracing.com/

www.wildbillscorvette.com/prod01.htm

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 22:33 by bountyhunter.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
04 Feb 2009 23:03 #262277 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
May I ask what elevation you live at? Higher elevations usually have lower octane fuels.

What is your wildest dream for this motor? This is always the easiest question to answer.

What are you really going to use it for? This question is harder.

What do you rate your skill level at, as a rider and a mechanic? Everyone started at the bottom and worked there way up from there. If you have skills then shoot for the moon.If you are new to riding or engine building, keep it simple and give yourself a chance to develp some skills.

There are some good running low compression bikes out there. There isn't anything wrong with a good stock piston 1015cc with some drop in cams, header, carbs., gearing & ignition. It's always a good starting point and a motor that you can hammer-on! It will perform better with a 900 crankshaft in it. It will give you a chance to do it on a budget.

Everyone here will be more than willing, to help you out!
Myself, I would be willing to share with you the specs. of a low compression 1015cc I have built many times.

More
05 Feb 2009 10:08 #262330 by Spot
Replied by Spot on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
I have an '81 KZ650CSR (H1) and would like to do the 750-to-810 mod on it. Wiseco lists compression at 10.25:1 and I thought anything over 10:1 needed more than premium.

To answer kzz1p:
My dream for this bike is to plagiarize jordan's engine work and add the 6-speed tranny and oil cooler from the KZ550 donor engine sitting in my garage.

It's my daily driver in lunatic Hampton Roads, VA (when it's running) and I am planning trips to Texas, Oklahoma and Oregon. B)

I've been riding off and on for 32 years, but have only moderate mechanic experience (carbs, brakes, sprockets, etc). I'm looking for a local mechanic (dealers won't touch it), but will try it myself if I can't find one. :unsure:

I used to prefer Yamahas, but since I bought my Kaw and found this website, it's personal. You guys rock!

Good judgment comes from experience, which usually comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
05 Feb 2009 10:46 #262331 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
Spot
Me, I, Myself! If I was going to modifiy that motor. I would use the 10.25:1 compression pistons. I would use a cam that has the same intake, opening & closing points as stock or as close as I could get. Yes, a later intake closing would be better but the cam might be very big for your daily driver.

More
05 Feb 2009 14:52 - 05 Feb 2009 14:53 #262365 by Spot
Replied by Spot on topic Compression Ratio vs. Grade of Gasoline
With the 810 mod, or stock 650 w/ 10.25:1 pistons? If I'm going with the mod, I was thinking stock KZ750 heads instead of GPz.

Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 14:53 by Spot.