valve seals & guides

• TODDSTER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Die Hard & Live Free
More
03 Feb 2009 20:06 #262052 by TODDSTER
valve seals & guides was created by TODDSTER
I got a 78 kz 650 d. Not sure how to get the valve oil seals & guides out.B) I have the valves, springs & keepers outB) just can't figure out the rest.:unsure: Any help would be appreciated.:cheer: Thanks a lot.;) TODDSTER

KZ 78 650 SR D1a W/78 Quick silver 3/4 stock fairing, new dunlop rubber frnt. & back, new jcw rear shocks, new progressive frt. fork springs & 1 ground-hog to my credit.(ouch)
TODDSTER in N.Western PA
Kawi Strong w/windshield in my face

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2009 21:40 #262067 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic valve seals & guides
Removing seals can be done with pliers or a hook tool of some sort. Just be careful to not get too forceful since the guides tend to be brittle and could snap off. In terms of removing guides, my understanding is that heating the head will allow the guides to come out with less drama than doing the job cold. This is not the kind of job for an amateur mechanic though. Best to find a pro for that kind of work.

More
03 Feb 2009 21:41 #262068 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic valve seals & guides
the seals can be pulled out easy enough with needle nose pliers,are you sure the guides are bad?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 Feb 2009 00:08 - 04 Feb 2009 00:10 #262080 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic valve seals & guides
When you pull the old oil seals out (w/needlenose as PLUMMEN suggested), they will be destroyed...but that is how it is supposed to be....grip only the seals (not the seals and guide...e.g. use only the tips of the pliers when extracting the seals). And I repeat PLUMMEN's question...what makes you think the guides are bad?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 00:10 by Mcdroid.

• TODDSTER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Die Hard & Live Free
More
04 Feb 2009 09:12 #262139 by TODDSTER
Replied by TODDSTER on topic valve seals & guides
Don't I have to take the guides out to have the head bead blasted. That was why I wanted to know how do they (guides) come out. I don't know what is what . This is my first motorcycle rodeo? Just have patience with me, I am a fast learner, I think so anyway, Just don't ask my other half!!! She'll disagree just to.. well you guy know what I'm saying.

KZ 78 650 SR D1a W/78 Quick silver 3/4 stock fairing, new dunlop rubber frnt. & back, new jcw rear shocks, new progressive frt. fork springs & 1 ground-hog to my credit.(ouch)
TODDSTER in N.Western PA
Kawi Strong w/windshield in my face

More
04 Feb 2009 09:20 #262145 by PLUMMEN
plug the guides with some golf tees !:laugh: clean your valve stems up on a wire wheel then shove them about 3/4 of the length of valve back into guide and wiggle the valve side to side if they have slop in them you need guides.thats my low buck technique for checking valve guide wear!:woohoo:

More
04 Feb 2009 10:04 #262151 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic valve seals & guides
TODDSTER wrote:

Don't I have to take the guides out to have the head bead blasted. That was why I wanted to know how do they (guides) come out. I don't know what is what . This is my first motorcycle rodeo? Just have patience with me, I am a fast learner, I think so anyway, Just don't ask my other half!!! She'll disagree just to.. well you guy know what I'm saying.

Am thinking glass-beading a head may be asking for trouble unless restricted to outside surface only with tightly sealed stud holes, plug holes, exhaust ports, carb ports, and entire combustion chamber side including gasket mating surface.

It's my understanding that glass-beading leaves particles embedded in the surface (regardless of rinsing efforts) which particles later release.

Others will have more competant advice about this.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Feb 2009 10:08 #262153 by PLUMMEN
thats exactly what happens,i like the baking soda way of doing it but im not set up to do it!:(

More
04 Feb 2009 11:24 #262171 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic valve seals & guides
Don't want to agrue with you guys on the glass beads, but with the plugging,taping and thread chasing and some care glass beading is fine.I think every Z/KZ motor I've owned has been through the glass bead process at some point. I like to run the smaller stuff like cylinder heads through the dishwasher a couple of times to make sure all the beads are gone. It's also easier if your wife is not home at the time, but unlike curing Gun Kote in the oven there is no odour...

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
04 Feb 2009 12:31 #262177 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic valve seals & guides
Glass beading is fine, YOU have to make sure it is clean of all residue before you put it back together, I would agree that plugging all the bolt holes and oil holes is the best, but remember no matter how much you plug it up your still gonna have to clean, clean clean the head prior to reasembly.

Also, make sure there is no grease, oil, or water left on the head before you blast it.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Feb 2009 14:01 #262187 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic valve seals & guides
Jack wrote:

It's also easier if your wife is not home at the time, but unlike curing Gun Kote in the oven there is no odour...

That's when you find out if she really loves you......:laugh:

For better or worse..... for better or worse..... (keep reminding her)

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Feb 2009 14:56 #262201 by PLUMMEN
most of the time its not an issue just be really carefull cleaning the glass beads out and keep them away from any machined or gasket sealing areas.B)