82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...

More
24 Feb 2006 17:06 #26192 by bean
82 GPz 750 upgrade questions... was created by bean
Hi guys,

I just found the site, and I'm stoked to get your input.

I have an 82 GPz 750 that is in parts in my garage. I'm in need of a complete exhaust system, carbs (air box?), and likely some other TLC to get it going for this spring.

I'm wanting to put on modern exhaust instead of the generic MAC system, and I'm looking for a carb set up to go with it.

Can anyone tell me what modern readily available exhaust system from a will fit it? (ZR-7 maybe?) Ditto for the carbs.

I'm at a crosroads of either parting it out as is, or restoring it - so any advice is most appreciated! I can justify spending about $1000 to get it running for this spring - so stuff within that budget is appreciated.

I'll be posting a wanted add in the forum part too...

Rabin

Back to searching the site... :)

Post edited by: bean, at: 2006/02/25 03:33

1989 ZX-10 (Reassembly after 7 years)
1979 KZ1000ST (sold)
1982 GPz750 (sold)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2006 20:47 #26255 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic 82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...
Not sure about any new exhaust system bolting right on, but it might be really simple to use a header (like MAC, Kerker, Vance and Hines ect...) and put a modern sport bike muffler on it (ex. a Hindle, Yosh, Muzzy ect...)
check out "The GPZ Modification FAQ" in the Links, its in the Refrences sectionB) good luck
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
24 Feb 2006 21:36 #26263 by bob_z1
Replied by bob_z1 on topic 82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...
I have an 82GPz750. I think most KZ650 and KZ750 exhaust systems will fit, but not much else. I got a new Kerker for mine off ebay a while back. I will probably sell the one that's on it now if I ever get around to putting the new one on.
Where are you located? If you do decide to part it out, please let me know.
later! Bob

`

Post edited by: bob_z1, at: 2006/02/25 00:38

More
24 Feb 2006 23:05 #26271 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...
There was a post on here recently (sometime in the last two weeks I think) where someone mentioned that they had bought a used ZX6 exhaust and bent the tubes a little to get it to fit either a 650 or 750 (same exhaust fits both).

I found the post, it was by none other than the infamous TwoWheeledTerror :D :D

Subject: "86 ZX600A 4-1 Header fits our 650's/750's"
01/25/06, I was close :)

Talk real nice to him and maybe he will post a picture :laugh:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/02/25 02:51

KD9JUR

More
25 Feb 2006 00:32 #26279 by bean
Replied by bean on topic 82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...
Thanks guys - found the zx600a reference, and I've been scouring e-bay for anything that would come close. Didn't find any 86' zx600's, but there are more pipes available for the 900 - 1100 engines - I'm wondering if the same "bend pipe" method would work - or are the primary tubes way bigger?

Hopefully I can find something newer as I'm really liking the idea of using newer bits to customize the bike as time goes on - say pick up a salvage sport bike and start playing around. (I'll need to see if I can just buy a MAC header without the can.)

Till then though I just want to get it running so I can ride it this spring! 6 years without a bike is just craziness!
Rabin

1979 KZ1000ST (sold)
1982 GPz750 (sold)

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2006 00:46 #26281 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic 82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...
bean wrote:

Thanks guys - found the zx600a reference, and I've been scouring e-bay for anything that would come close. Didn't find any 86' zx600's, but there are more pipes available for the 900 - 1100 engines - I'm wondering if the same "bend pipe" method would work - or are the primary tubes way bigger?

Hopefully I can find something newer as I'm really liking the idea of using newer bits to customize the bike as time goes on - say pick up a salvage sport bike and start playing around. (I'll need to see if I can just buy a MAC header without the can.)

Till then though I just want to get it running so I can ride it this spring! 6 years without a bike is just craziness!
Rabin

Sorry about the pic not working guys.

I updated and organized my photobucket account and killed a LOT of links at the same time.

That's the ZX600R 4-1 on the 79 KZ650.

It just so happens that I have a 4-1 exhaust off of a newer ZX that is a bigger displacement bike in the garage Bean.

I'll drag her in tomorrow and check if there's a chance it would work.

I really recommend against trying to buy a 4-1 from a mac without the intermediary or can.

There's always a way to mod things. Like the 4-1 I've got. If you had just put it up against there you'd have said "It won't work. It's too small."

A little grunt and muscle and voila! She'll bolt up!

Let me know what 4-1's you find and we can all put our heads together and figure out if it will be able to be made to fit. :)

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2006 00:50 #26282 by twowheeledterror
steell wrote:

There was a post on here recently (sometime in the last two weeks I think) where someone mentioned that they had bought a used ZX6 exhaust and bent the tubes a little to get it to fit either a 650 or 750 (same exhaust fits both).

I found the post, it was by none other than the infamous TwoWheeledTerror

Is that anything like the infamous El Guapo from the Three Amigos? ;) :laugh:

More
25 Feb 2006 10:55 #26350 by bean
Thanks for checking out that pipe!

If I can find some options that will work it will open up possibilities while shopping e-bay for what I need.

There's a couple possibilities on now - but I want to make sure that whatever I buy is going to fit with some work. I don't care about bolt on - but I'd like to be able to have the key parts fit without too much trouble.

Ideally if it allows me to put on a new or near new system then I'd be really happy.

I found a post that basically stated the pipes between the 750 and 1100 were the same except for the spacing between the middle two cylinders. If the modern pipes from the modern bikes can be made to fit with some bending then I'm all over that.

Keep me posted as it would be fantastic to be able to identify new parts that work on the classic bikes.

Rabin

1979 KZ1000ST (sold)
1982 GPz750 (sold)

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
25 Feb 2006 12:50 #26366 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic 82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...
what is so magical about "modren" headers? I just dont get it i guess? If your trying to save a buck i can understand that.

Is there some differance that i am missing about the construction? Seems like a header is a header; there just bent tubes. So why all the effort to rebend a bent tube, when Mac KerKer and others make them bent to fit for you??

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2006 14:16 #26394 by twowheeledterror
hardr0ck68 wrote:

what is so magical about "modren" headers? I just dont get it i guess? If your trying to save a buck i can understand that.

Is there some differance that i am missing about the construction? Seems like a header is a header; there just bent tubes. So why all the effort to rebend a bent tube, when Mac KerKer and others make them bent to fit for you??

Well, for starters, used is cheaper.

Secondly? Used is cheaper.

Thirdly? Some of us like to do things ourselves, even though theres an easier way called BUYING THE PARTS. lol

More
25 Feb 2006 14:49 #26400 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 82 GPz 750 upgrade questions...
No kidding! Have you priced a new Kerker for a 650/750?
They cost more than I have in my bike!
I don't think Yoshimura 650/750 pipes are available anymore, and I think the same applies to Hindle, and even if they were I could not afford them.

I'm a Major League CheapSkate :laugh: :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
25 Feb 2006 15:00 #26403 by bean
Cost is a major concern, but the MAC pipes don't suit my taste at all. They seem to budget looking - so I'd rather get a used pipe that looks sweet, than an new pipe that doesn't look as nice.

I've been also searching like crazy to find another complete system (new) but I just can't find a supplier for the 82 GPz 750. If anyone can point me in the direction of a supplier for Kerker or anything else that'd fit I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking that my best bang for the $$$ is going to be using a take off system off a newer bike and making it work, or finding a header and putting a nice can on it. I say modern because then the system will be in the best shape possible - and will hopefully last.

If new is an option - I'll wait till I get the bike running to make sure it's worth dropping some decent coin on a new system.

Rabin

Post edited by: bean, at: 2006/02/25 18:02

1979 KZ1000ST (sold)
1982 GPz750 (sold)