BENT VALVES?

• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
27 Jan 2009 13:45 #260492 by KOOL RYDER
BENT VALVES? was created by KOOL RYDER
Lets say I had bent valves, how difficult and costly would this problem be to resolve?

I am a novice mechanic, is this something that I should attempt to fix on my own or get a shop to look into it for me?

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2009 14:11 #260495 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic BENT VALVES?
hypothetically, what happened?

• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
27 Jan 2009 14:16 #260496 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic BENT VALVES?
I was adjusting the cam chain tension on my bike.
I started it with the electric start (what a dummy) the chain was not under tension and it sounded like a chainsaw was up against my valve cover.

Anyways after it started backfiring out of the carbs.

I spoke to some people and they said it maybe the timing is off due to skipped links, but with me I am assuming the worst.Bent valves.

If that is the cas you guys might find a parts bike up on the block pretty soon, unless some one can reassure me that I can give it a try.

I have heard, that the #1 needs to be at TDC and then you need to count back a certain # of teeth, but I have a lot of homework to do and I have never pried the valve cover off it before.

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
27 Jan 2009 14:21 #260498 by keith1
KOOL RYDER wrote:

I was adjusting the cam chain tension on my bike.
I started it with the electric start (what a dummy) the chain was not under tension and it sounded like a chainsaw was up against my valve cover.

Anyways after it started backfiring out of the carbs.

I spoke to some people and they said it maybe the timing is off due to skipped links, but with me I am assuming the worst.Bent valves.

If that is the cas you guys might find a parts bike up on the block pretty soon, unless some one can reassure me that I can give it a try.

I have heard, that the #1 needs to be at TDC and then you need to count back a certain # of teeth, but I have a lot of homework to do and I have never pried the valve cover off it before.

let it sit till ya have time and pull cover....if you have a manual, use that as a guide for your cam timing marks....which bike is this?

More
27 Jan 2009 14:21 #260499 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic BENT VALVES?
Which bike, the 650 or the 1000? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
27 Jan 2009 14:25 #260502 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic BENT VALVES?
The 650.

I have added a new seat $ from Klasmo bikes, new clubmans, new amber covers, new meter cover new cables....it all adds up.

Plus new tire and new brake pads....Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance.

All it needs now is a new petcok and a paint job and it will be fine, but..............

I think I bent the freakin valves.....

If that is the case does anyone know where I can get new valves for a stock 650?

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
27 Jan 2009 15:03 #260508 by keith1
KOOL RYDER wrote:

The 650.

I have added a new seat $ from Klasmo bikes, new clubmans, new amber covers, new meter cover new cables....it all adds up.

Plus new tire and new brake pads....Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance.

All it needs now is a new petcok and a paint job and it will be fine, but..............

I think I bent the freakin valves.....

If that is the case does anyone know where I can get new valves for a stock 650?

i would at least pull cover, check timing and if its off ,make it right...turn it over by hand and listen....ya just might get lucky...gotta pull cover to pull head anyways....good luck...keith

More
27 Jan 2009 15:12 - 27 Jan 2009 15:20 #260509 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic BENT VALVES?
KOOL RYDER wrote:

...started backfiring out of the carbs....

Did the backfiring happen when attempting to start the engine, or was the engine running when the backfiring was happening?

Is engine frozen? With ignition OFF, will engine freely turn over by hand without unusual noise and without encountering obvious interferrence? Be gentle and don't force anything. Piston contacting valve easily bends valve.

Am thinking toward checking valve clearances, a leakdown test, inspection for any visible damage under the valve cover, and examining correctness of cam-timing (camshafts orientation).

And I also concur with Keith's suggestions. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jan 2009 15:20 by Patton.

More
27 Jan 2009 18:22 #260543 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic BENT VALVES?
well as ive always said theres no substitute for real hands on expriance!:unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blush: :S ouch !now you get to learn about the topside of your motor,hopefully ya just dinged a few valves without punching a hole in a piston.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 Jan 2009 18:32 #260545 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic BENT VALVES?
We've been telling you to pull that cover for 8 months now. You still haven't? :) The suspense is killing me.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Jan 2009 19:04 #260549 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic BENT VALVES?
Hopefully for KOOL RYDER, this won't be a Kodak moment of OH SHIZA!

Dude, I feel your pain but there's only way to know for sure, open her up for visual confirmations at least...

We can all sit here and guesstimate the hypothetical worse case scenario for you but until you break into her there's just truly no way in hell anyone can say with 100% certainty what your facing...

Unfortunately, if you still need some help, you'll need to provide images along the way... Just bite the bullet (meaning posting images of your screw up) and cop up to it already, youfuckiedup, deal with it and fix the old girl! We've all been there...

Example, you think I enjoyed coping up to me busting a hole in my engine cases due to Dumbphuck ignorance...
Yeah right, Old Fart Plummen, Kawsukiman and Larry C still have fun at my expense.... But guess what, I learned and tucked my tail between my legs and fixed her up... Sucked, well hell ya it sucked but it is what it is, had to fix the situation you know! ;) ....

And you don't need to be a master mechanic to remove the valve cover assuming you have some minor/proper tools such as a 3/8" or 1/2" drive and metric deep socket set...

Besides, how many times have you reviewed one of us going OH SHIZA, NO PHUCKING WAY, WHAT DID I DO THAT FOR!!!

or WTF, what a friggin dumbphuck I am....

Besides, what, you think your special so as not to join our group of OH SHIZA BOYS?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
27 Jan 2009 19:33 #260559 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic BENT VALVES?
KOOL RYDER wrote:

Lets say I had bent valves, how difficult and costly would this problem be to resolve?

I am a novice mechanic, is this something that I should attempt to fix on my own or get a shop to look into it for me?

dont feel bad,ya oughta see the job omr did on his engine cases!:woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.