CLUTCH TIPS

More
25 Jan 2009 17:55 #260172 by keith1
CLUTCH TIPS was created by keith1
while i am waiting for carbs to comeback, when i feel inclined, am going to replace clutch...have.

new ape extra disk clutch set-up
new metal plates
new clutch cable
new clutch lever
new adjuster at bar end
new clutch push rod
new cover gasket

i am familar with clutch cable replacement as i did that to replace a frayed one i had when i replaced a broken clutch perch that came on bike..
joker i bought bike from had 20 yards of duct tape semi holding clutch perch in position.....

should i pre-oil disks and plates upon assembly?

i am going to install springs i have back in...they are stout and i see no need for hd
and roller assy....re-using bolts should be o k ..?

thanks in advance for any tips.....keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2009 18:47 #260190 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic CLUTCH TIPS
keith1 wrote:

should i pre-oil disks and plates upon assembly?

I would.

keith1 wrote:

i am going to install springs i have back in...they are stout

I think that's a huge mistake. The stock springs on mine weakened and went south over time. New springs cosy about $10, why would you reuse old springs?

keith1 wrote:

re-using bolts should be o k ..?

I think they are OK to use.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Jan 2009 18:57 #260194 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic CLUTCH TIPS
May even consider checking out some Barnett clutch springs, I got some for an old Yamaha and they were a few lbs heavier. did not feel it on the lever but they engage with less potential slippage.

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
25 Jan 2009 19:04 #260196 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic CLUTCH TIPS
measure youre stock ones or just buy replacement stockers

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Jan 2009 19:15 #260198 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic CLUTCH TIPS
Definitely pre-oil the fiber disks. I let them soak in oil overnight. Stock springs should be fine unless you've bumped up the HP. Re-use bolts unless they look damaged, be sure to use a good torque wrench for re-assembly.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Jan 2009 06:37 #260248 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic CLUTCH TIPS
Oiling the discs can't hurt of course, but I don't see any need to do it. The discs are going to be in oil forever so they'le get plenty of oil right after install and oil really doesn't soak into the discs, it's all just on the outside. If you toss the old plates, get some sandpaper out and try to sand one. You'll see the fiber is dry right under the surface. So you could soak the plates overnight, for one month, one year or one second the plates won't know the difference.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
26 Jan 2009 11:00 - 26 Jan 2009 11:11 #260293 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic CLUTCH TIPS
The Kaw manuals definitely say to oil the plates before installation. I'd go with new springs while you're in there. The heavier springs can be a pain and put a lot of strain on your cable, clutch actuator mechanism, pusher and the cover that it's bolted to. Many people go years without problems, but is it worth it? I struggled with heavy springs for years and they don't really help that much unless you're making serious HP.

I can also warn against using oil additives. I added Slick50 when it first came out and burned up 2 clutches. They have additives made specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches now.

Don't forget to lube the pivot bolt at the lever while it's out. You should be in great shape but you might as well add new springs since you've spent so much on everything else. Even the stockers are only about $20 from Kaw and aftermarket even cheaper.

Definitely torque your clutch plate bolts. If you dn't have a manual, one of us can dig up the spec for you. Good luck!

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250
Last edit: 26 Jan 2009 11:11 by 79MKII.

More
26 Jan 2009 12:58 #260309 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic CLUTCH TIPS
thanks guys.....i will get new springs....

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Jan 2009 15:22 #260356 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic CLUTCH TIPS
If I were you I would not use the APE plates. The fact that they are thinner is the problem. I had new 1's last year and they chewed up the mating fingers on my basket. this caused the plates to grab rather than slide along the baskets fingers. The result was a very bad clutch lever action. It would slip and then grab hard. VERY embarrassing when leaving a stoplight, and stalling, or revving to the moon and launching. Now I have to split the cases, pull and file the basket fingers smooth again.
I prefer the stock springs as well. Oil the plates.
Good luck.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
26 Jan 2009 15:56 #260364 by keith1
mark1122 wrote:

If I were you I would not use the APE plates. The fact that they are thinner is the problem. I had new 1's last year and they chewed up the mating fingers on my basket. this caused the plates to grab rather than slide along the baskets fingers. The result was a very bad clutch lever action. It would slip and then grab hard. VERY embarrassing when leaving a stoplight, and stalling, or revving to the moon and launching. Now I have to split the cases, pull and file the basket fingers smooth again.
I prefer the stock springs as well. Oil the plates.
Good luck.

i dont need problems like that.....i have all new metal plates...should i just order new fibers from z1 and be done with it....i can sell the ape on fleabay.....thanks for the tip....see .. this is why i ask...:laugh: anyone else have a problem with the ape setup?

More
26 Jan 2009 16:08 #260367 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic CLUTCH TIPS
Measure your stock plates. If they are within spec, I'd just use them. I try to get them at 145-155...somewhere close. Most plates will be right in that area. Stock plates are the best you can use. Use stock springs unless you have upped the horsepower level. Places make HD springs (some are colored red) or I have used the inner springs off a Z1/KZ valve spring set. BUT...they make the lever pull noticeably harder and you hand gets a real workout at times. You might be surprised just how much difference deglazing your stock plates will make. I was at the track once and the clutch was slipping really bad. After the run, I pulled the clutch plates, wiped the oil off and lightly sanded them til they were dull looking and put them back in. The bike would then pick up the front wheel. Amazing difference for simple work. Have you tried that yet? Both fibers and steels...sand and remove the shine and re-install and give it a try.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
26 Jan 2009 16:14 #260369 by keith1
racer54 wrote:

Measure your stock plates. If they are within spec, I'd just use them. I try to get them at 145-155...somewhere close. Most plates will be right in that area. Stock plates are the best you can use. Use stock springs unless you have upped the horsepower level. Places make HD springs (some are colored red) or I have used the inner springs off a Z1/KZ valve spring set. BUT...they make the lever pull noticeably harder and you hand gets a real workout at times. You might be surprised just how much difference deglazing your stock plates will make. I was at the track once and the clutch was slipping really bad. After the run, I pulled the clutch plates, wiped the oil off and lightly sanded them til they were dull looking and put them back in. The bike would then pick up the front wheel. Amazing difference for simple work. Have you tried that yet? Both fibers and steels...sand and remove the shine and re-install and give it a try.

i bought new steel plates a while back and i have them so i m gonna use them....i figured with 33 k and everything else i was doing, why not....
good tip for a clutch pick-me -up though...thanks