small issue...need input

More
21 Jan 2009 15:56 - 21 Jan 2009 15:59 #259226 by keith1
small issue...need input was created by keith1
i retorqued head for the second time after 3 warm/cool down sessions and installed accel coils and wires....i still have a problem....bike runs and sounds great above say 1500 rpm....any attempt to set it to idle at anything less than that and it grinds like a coffee grinder....been like this since rebuild.....i had crap throttle cables and replaced them as pull one was way too tight and wasnt letting assembly return fully and push one just wasnt right...cables are fine and lubed and adjusted decent....
my first inclination is to adjust cam chain to rule that out..i didnt do that part, as my second set of hands did that part as i was slowly turning motor...so, i will do that to rule it out ...if it doesnt end up being that, should i be thinking carb synch?....i pulled bowls and tops and did some experimental jet work and polished (somewhat) tops, but i didnt mess with any adj other than replace pilot screws
on bottom of carbs......any ideas? thanks
Last edit: 21 Jan 2009 15:59 by keith1. Reason: grammar/info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2009 16:00 #259227 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic small issue...need input
check cam chain tension and or synch carbs would be a starting point.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
21 Jan 2009 16:07 #259228 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic small issue...need input
PLUMMEN wrote:

thanks...i hope one of the two does it...i ll be swingin if its just the chain.....

More
21 Jan 2009 16:32 #259231 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic small issue...need input
A few questions, please.

With ign switched ON (engine not running), what is measured voltage at coils?

Is oem points ignition being used?

What is condition of battery and state of charge?

Has ignition timing been checked with strobe type timing light?

Has spark quality at each plug been visually inspected?

Have carb float bowl fuel levels been checked using the clear tube method?

Has compression test been performed?

Are valve clearances within specs?

If not already done, would address above matters to eliminate other possible deficiencies before syncing carbs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jan 2009 16:36 #259232 by PLUMMEN
i guess i took it for granted the simple checks were allready done :laugh:

More
21 Jan 2009 17:10 #259242 by keith1
Patton wrote:

A few questions, please.

If not already done, would address above matters to eliminate other possible deficiencies before syncing carbs.

fresh top end with mtc pistons 10.5 to 1 comp, fresh jugs, refurbished head with 3 angle cut, valves blast beaded, new guides , new oil seals,
stems trimmed to length, andrews 2x cams, top end shimmed by builder/machinist, new cam chain, all new guides and rollers......im guessing compression and leakdown should be within spec...dyna ign and new accel coils and wires...battery good....
had same problem after rebuild with old coils...so we can probably rule them out...

carbs were fine on old motor/top end....just thinking i might have overlooked something stupid/obvious......thanks

More
21 Jan 2009 18:12 #259259 by Patton
keith1 wrote:

Patton wrote:

A few questions, please.

fresh top end with mtc pistons 10.5 to 1 comp, fresh jugs, refurbished head with 3 angle cut, valves blast beaded, new guides , new oil seals,
stems trimmed to length, andrews 2x cams, top end shimmed by builder/machinist, new cam chain, all new guides and rollers......im guessing compression and leakdown should be within spec...dyna ign and new accel coils and wires...battery good....
had same problem after rebuild with old coils...so we can probably rule them out...

carbs were fine on old motor/top end....just thinking i might have overlooked something stupid/obvious......thanks

While the low rpm noise may indeed be resulting only from an improperly adjusted camchain and/or out-of-sync carbs, where possible issues have been ruled out as to compression, spark quality, and battery condition, other remaining possible issues would imo include:

Voltage reaching good coils;

Ignition timing;

Float bowl fuel levels.

If camchain adjustment and carb sync fail to resolve the low rpm noise issue, would address the three areas noted, and then re-sync the carbs.

As known, carb performance at top end doesn't significantly relate to lower rpm performance governed by the pilot circuit.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jan 2009 18:15 #259260 by keith1
PLUMMEN wrote:

if it isnt the chain, those carbs are going off to george faster than you can say "clean and right".....with an 8 week lead time , i want to be riding first weekend in april thats nice........no sense going for the dirt nap with your pockets full, wont do ya any good....lol...

More
21 Jan 2009 18:19 #259264 by keith1
Patton wrote:

keith1 wrote:

Patton wrote:

A few questions, please.

While the low rpm noise may indeed be resulting only from an improperly adjusted camchain and/or out-of-sync carbs, where possible issues have been ruled out as to compression, spark quality, and battery condition, other remaining possible issues would imo include:

Ignition timing;

Float bowl fuel levels.

If camchain adjustment and carb sync fail to resolve the low rpm noise issue, would address the three areas noted, and then re-sync the carbs.

As known, carb performance at top end doesn't significantly relate to lower rpm performance governed by the pilot circuit.

thanks....i ll report my progress.....

More
21 Jan 2009 19:11 - 21 Jan 2009 19:12 #259274 by Patton
Patton wrote:

...While the low rpm noise may indeed be resulting only from an improperly adjusted camchain and/or out-of-sync carbs, where possible issues have been ruled out as to compression, spark quality, and battery condition, other remaining possible issues would imo include:

Ignition timing;

Float bowl fuel levels.

If camchain adjustment and carb sync fail to resolve the low rpm noise issue, would address the three areas noted, and then re-sync the carbs....

If not already addressed, spark quality should appear in the list of other remaining possible issues.

A good healthy fat spark at kick-over usually indicates adequate voltage reaching the coils. But it's best to actually measure the voltage.

Forgot to earlier mention --- would also test voltage across battery terminals at idle (look for 12+ volts) and at 4000 rpm (look for 14+ volts). Thinking any deficiency in charging system may produce insufficient voltage at idle rpm (perhaps drawn down by headlight) and thereby less than proper spark needed for best combustion.

The Dyna ignition is known as being a voltage hog, especially at lower rpms.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 21 Jan 2009 19:12 by Patton.

More
21 Jan 2009 19:53 #259283 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic small issue...need input
one other spot to look could be the starter clutch if it is staying engaged it will make a really loud grinding noise as well. also check your cam chain tension as well as a few other people have said to check all you have to do for that is to roll the motor over to top dead center on compression and then back off the adjuster bolt and let it take up any slack if you don't here any sound from the tensioner pull it out and double check it's function. you wont need any extra hands because you set it without rotating the motor once it is at t.d.c. if the motor still has it's kicker pull the starter motor out and fire it up so it takes the starter drive out of the equation.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
22 Jan 2009 04:48 #259330 by PLUMMEN
keith1 wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

if it isnt the chain, those carbs are going off to george faster than you can say "clean and right".....with an 8 week lead time , i want to be riding first weekend in april thats nice........no sense going for the dirt nap with your pockets full, wont do ya any good....lol...

no danger of that happening to me i work very hard at staying broke!:laugh: