replacing the cam chain

More
02 Jan 2009 20:22 #255840 by Buda
replacing the cam chain was created by Buda
I'm gittin ready to replace the cam chain, guides and cams. Also gona do the shims and got the ape manual cam chain adjuster. Iv worked on a lot of chevys rebuilt a small block but this will be the first kawasaki. Any advise any thing I should know.
Thanks
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
03 Jan 2009 05:09 #255868 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic replacing the cam chain
Z1 Enterprises sells the cam chain and a master link, so you don't need to split the cases. Give them a call and they'll be glad to assist you with what you need. They have a different links for different years:

www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...yWords=master%20link

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
03 Jan 2009 10:30 #255905 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic replacing the cam chain
depending on what you know of thehitory of the motor its not that big of a deal to split the cases and check the bottem end out,then theres no doubt about what you have down the road.B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Jan 2009 11:03 #255913 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic replacing the cam chain
The engine has 25000 miles and started making a strange noise last fall and I read a post on this forum that suggested it might be the cam chain and with 25000 miles I might as well change it out. I looked at using the master link but then can u change the guides with out taking the cylinders off? I would like to do that because next winter i was going for more displacement and would be doing the complet5e tear down then. I will do it twice if I need to.
What do u guys think?
Thanks
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

More
03 Jan 2009 12:16 #255919 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic replacing the cam chain
thomas ed wrote:

The engine has 25000 miles and started making a strange noise last fall and I read a post on this forum that suggested it might be the cam chain and with 25000 miles I might as well change it out. I looked at using the master link but then can u change the guides with out taking the cylinders off? I would like to do that because next winter i was going for more displacement and would be doing the complet5e tear down then. I will do it twice if I need to.
What do u guys think?
Thanks
Tom

there is one rubber roller that you are gonna have to pull jugs to replace....the others you can get if you pull head..on my 78 1000 thats the deal...those rollers and sprockets are pricey little buggers.....keith

More
03 Jan 2009 15:09 #255958 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic replacing the cam chain
thomas ed wrote:

The engine has 25000 miles and started making a strange noise last fall and I read a post on this forum that suggested it might be the cam chain and with 25000 miles I might as well change it out. I looked at using the master link but then can u change the guides with out taking the cylinders off? I would like to do that because next winter i was going for more displacement and would be doing the complete tear down then. I will do it twice if I need to.
What do u guys think?
Thanks
Tom

Imo, 25000 miles is relatively low mileage and below that which might ordinarily suggest need for camchain replacement under normal spirited use and maintenance.

Strange noise -- what strange noise? At what rpm? Under what circumstances? Could result from any number of things besides something requiring an engine teardown.

For example, abnormally loud cam chain noise, especially at lower rpm's, is often attributable to carbs being out of sync, or other tuning needs arising from incorrect timing or advancer operation, or improper cam chain slack adjustment, etc.

Even a kinked drive chain can mimic engine noise.

Not to say that it couldn't possibly be a worn out cam chain at 25000 miles, just thinking it would be good idea to more postively acertain the source and reason for the "strange noise" before proceeding with replacement of the cam chain.

Just my opinion from the peanut gallery.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Jan 2009 15:30 #255966 by jzanutto
Replied by jzanutto on topic replacing the cam chain
since we are on the topic, what is the correct way to set the cam chain tension. I know there is an auto-tensioner but there has to be a right way to do it.

1978 KZ650B 2004 BMW R1150RT

More
03 Jan 2009 15:47 #255970 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic replacing the cam chain
After motor is assembled, preload the adjuster...back out the bolt and snap....tighten bolt easy and set nut. Hardest part of a motor rebuild IMO.:laugh:

More
03 Jan 2009 15:56 #255973 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic replacing the cam chain
1978 or earlier works like Arai mentioned, 1979 or newer it is full automatic and no adjustment necessary. 1982 KZ1000 has a hyvo chain camchain I believe. I doubt a master link is available for that type chain, but I've never looked either so entirely possible. One more thing jzanutto, you'll be banned from here by having a non-KZ avatar :laugh: Well you're allowed as long as it's a RD, those bring back the good memories for sure :P

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 Jan 2009 16:04 #255975 by jzanutto
yeah well,,, why do they put so many extra unnecessary parts in the top of the engine??

More
03 Jan 2009 16:06 #255976 by jzanutto
also, I looked at Z1 for chains and one is like 35 and the other is 41. Is that 41 dollar one a lot better?

More
03 Jan 2009 16:24 #255984 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic replacing the cam chain
jzanutto wrote:

yeah well,,, why do they put so many extra unnecessary parts in the top of the engine??

The dealer's mechanics have to put their kids through college......:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin